Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alarm ferry mode

Johnny R

Hi all. Has anyone managed to find how to turn off the motion sensing for ferry crossings? That's assuming the 2024 Corolla has it. 

I'm pretty sure using the mechanical key only locks the car. That is if the newer one gets such an old fashioned thing.

Yeah...a few people have mentioned that possibility. It's just weird that there isn't a way of turning it off! Do you know, if I lock using the key does it stop all power being taken from the batteries? Thank you 😊

No idea. I only periodically lock mine with the key when I want to leave windows down.

4 hours ago, Obsidian Estate said:

No idea. I only periodically lock mine with the key when I want to leave windows down.

On my 2019 car with sun/moon roof there is a button in the roof to switch off the internal sensor. Is this only on cars with the sun/moon roof?

There's a button on the roof in my 23 facelift with no sunroof, just behind the interior light between the front seats - I think you just push it before locking the car to turn off the interior sensors for the next lock cycle only.

Yes, that’s the one. You can switch off the car, then press it and a note pops up on the display.

17 minutes ago, Dylanfan said:

On my 2019 car with sun/moon roof there is a button in the roof to switch off the internal sensor. Is this only on cars with the sun/moon roof?

No I have that too in my estate.

My 24MY Corolla TS has the button to turn off the internal movement sensors;  but surely that is not the same as turning off tilt/motion/sway sensors that can be triggered on a ferry?

I've tried to digest what I can from the user guide and manual but confess to not being sure whether the Corolla has such sensors. 

49 minutes ago, SDR said:

I've tried to digest what I can from the user guide and manual but confess to not being sure whether the Corolla has such sensors. 

You and me both! Useless doesn't even begin to describe how awful Toyota manuals are at explaining their operation. I've searched the internet and still haven't found an answer.

1 hour ago, Johnny R said:

You and me both! Useless doesn't even begin to describe how awful Toyota manuals are at explaining their operation. I've searched the internet and still haven't found an answer.

Quite!   I've started a thread about whether the Corolla has the capability to change it's headlamp beam pattern for driving on the right.    Can't find the answer to that in the manual either.   No replies so far.   Mine is Icon/poverty spec with reflector headlights so I suspect that it's back to beam deflectors.

5 hours ago, SDR said:

My 24MY Corolla TS has the button to turn off the internal movement sensors;  but surely that is not the same as turning off tilt/motion/sway sensors that can be triggered on a ferry?

I don’t think many cars have external movement sensors anymore - my last recent model VW didn’t and a new Skoda hire car I had was only fitted with internal ones. 

most seem to just have the  internal movement sensors alone now - it’s those that set off the alarm on ferries with the movement of the air inside. 

• Thanks 1

Switched my internal sensors off on the ferry over using the button mentioned. Mine is an MY24 TS Excel with the moon roof. I also find the manuals pretty poor  and often confusing with many typos and grammatical errors. Could definitely do better.

Haha...oh what joy Toyota tech is! All I can do is try using the roof button to turn off the sensors 

No need to switch off interior sensor as this is only for if you leave a pet in or leave windows open. Best way is to lock the car with the emergency  key build into your key fob. In this case by default the alarm will not be activated and the car will be just locked. To unlock you need to use the same key on your return. 

8 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

No need to switch off interior sensor as this is only for if you leave a pet in or leave windows open. Best way is to lock the car with the emergency  key build into your key fob. In this case by default the alarm will not be activated and the car will be just locked. To unlock you need to use the same key on your return. 

Turning off the “theft sensor” works on the IOW ferry whilst the BMW and Nissans on the same deck were flashing and sounding alarms. Lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Paul john said:

Turning off the “theft sensor” works on the IOW ferry whilst the BMW and Nissans on the same deck were flashing and sounding alarms. Lol

Hi PaulJohn....is that a setting in the car settings? Your's is a very hopeful reply!! Thanks :)

2 hours ago, Johnny R said:

Hi PaulJohn....is that a setting in the car settings? Your's is a very hopeful reply!! Thanks 🙂

A message pops up on center screen every time i turn off the car as “do you wish to turn off theft sensor (yes/no)?” 

So this can  be done on a journey by journey basis

Thank you....I've not noticed that on my car. I'm going have a look!!

9 hours ago, Paul john said:

Turning off the “theft sensor” works on the IOW ferry

I use the IOW ferry from Lymington occasionally and I disable the theft sensor too.

My car's never made a sound but all the German cars beep and whine shortly after leaving the terminal. 😅

• Like 1

try locking car from phone via app. i think that does not activate alarm but only locks the doors.

On 5/8/2024 at 6:40 PM, Dylanfan said:

My 2020 has a button above my head that switch off the sensor, I know because the dog set it off one day

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links