Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

It had to go

andyfr

A few weeks ago we got in my wife's Yaris to go somewhere and it wouldn’t start, the 12 volt Battery didn’t have enough charge to power the hybrid system so we called out Toyota Assist. The AA arrived quickly and plugged a power pack into the connection and it started. The mechanic said that the hybrids need to be used on a regular basis to keep the 12 volt Battery charged. As it was a second car it didn't get used very much at all. I bought a power pack to keep in the boot ready, it happened again after the car hadn’t been used for a couple of days and a couple more times after that, when we got back after a weeks holiday it was totally flat, I had to use the emergency key to open the door but of course I couldn’t open the boot to get the power pack so I had to climb over the front seat to reach the back seat and fold the seat down so that I could get it that way. Anyway, to cut a long story short, my wife had enough and we went to the Mazda dealer for a test drive in a petrol Mazda 2 and she ordered one. The Yaris isn’t a year old until the end of June and had only done 1,400.  I have seen loads of complaints on the this forum about this problem so it’s a common issue, I wish I had looked into this issue before. Also the auto lights are just so annoying, they come on in bright sun if you go past the shadows of trees, then off, back on in shadow….ad infinitum!

We picked up the Mazda on Monday and left the Yaris there, glad to see the back of it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

It's late now, could of maybe got away with putting a 45ah better quality Battery in and ready mode every 3-4 days when not using the car. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, andyfr said:

The Yaris isn’t a year old until the end of June and had only done 1,400. 

There is the problem, a car not being used. Not the car, how you use it.

Hope the new car meets your needs.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Moleman said:

There is the problem, a car not being used. Not the car, how you use it.

Hope the new car meets your needs.

yeah that's pretty low, use the bus instead?🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The whole point of having a second car in our case is that it will only be used occasionally. You shouldn't have to put a larger Battery in, Toyota should do that as standard. Neither should you have to sit in the car in ready mode every few days, connect up to a solar charger or have a Battery pack.

We have had 4 Toyotas between us and up till the Yaris they have all been fantastic. I feel that the quality has gone down over the last few years which is a shame. 

Don't want to use the bus that's why we have two cars.

• Like 6

The Mazda 2 (not confusingly the Mazda 2 which is the same as you’ve just got shot of) is a cracking little car and should be more to your satisfaction.  You are not alone, I know a couple of people that have lost patience with their Yaris and ditched it.  I don’t blame you, I blame the dealer for not advising you sufficiently especially if you returned a very low mileage car at trade in.  They can’t really go overboard on maintaining a Battery because it’ll just put people off.  Our friends at Toyota should maybe have a chat about that.  It’s a shame because the car is more technologically advanced than just about anything else on the market but I do get it.  

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, andyfr said:

The whole point of having a second car in our case is that it will only be used occasionally.

Then a Hybrid was the wrong car for you.

I use three cars, two hybrid, I make sure they are all used on a regular basis, never had an issue with the batteries.

Great to have a second car, but it needs to be used on a regular basis or the issue will occur again.

Modern cars use much more background power from the Battery while sitting and while driving.

• Like 2

Two of the previous Toyotas had been Hybrids and they were fine, a CRV and an Auris.

• Like 2

But even a hybrid or full electric car should have enough back up power by the 12v Battery to last  for at least up to 3-4 weeks.
It is just so annoying to have unreliable 12v system and start up in most reliable car. 
With the op low use any car will suffer low 12v Battery with the time and more often replacement but should be like every 2-4 years not 2-4 weeks. 
Most modern cars suffered these problems because of the energy draw while car is not in use and all that to power up connected services etc. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, andyfr said:

Two of the previous Toyotas had been Hybrids and they were fine, a CRV and an Auris.

Looking back at your previous posts you had issues with your Auris as well and was given similar advice about using it more.

Most modern cars suffered these problems because of the energy draw while car is not in use and all that to power up connected services etc. 

You like the post above, but seem not acknowledge that the issue is how you appear to use your cars. Lack of use!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I don’t blame you, I blame the dealer for not advising you sufficiently especially if you returned a very low mileage car at trade in.  

They can’t really go overboard on maintaining a battery because it’ll just put people off. 

There is a lesson here.  Which is worse,  not selling a car or selling a lemon?

Not a true lemon but nevertheless one unfit for purpose. 

Ideally the dealer should not have sold you the car.  In this case the car was 'not fit for purpose'.  You chose a car that on the face of it was what you needed as the description made no mention of any difference from any other car of its class and you already had expectations as you were familiar with the brand. 

They were lucky that you took the hit rather than demand a refund.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Looking back at your previous posts you had issues with your Auris as well and was given similar advice about using it more.

You like the post above, but seem not acknowledge that the issue is how you appear to use your cars. Lack of use!

That issue with the Auris turned out to be a faulty Battery which was replaced under warranty. The main reason for it not being used as much then was because we lived in the sticks in the Highlands of Scotland and there was very deep snow so had to use the AWD of the Rav.

• Like 1

@Roy124 I couldn't agree more with your post. Toyota should make it perfectly clear that the car needs to be in ready mode for at least x hours every week or the 12 volt Battery will go flat.

Makes me wonder why some people want all the bells and whistles on their cars which simply increase the likelihood of a flat Battery.

Why couldn't Toyota wire in something like an easily removeable lithium iron Battery jump pack mounted in an slot  with an emergency start push button on the dashboard with an instruction to remove/unplug and charge the jump pack every 3 months or after every emergency start?

If that's too difficult maybe a 12 volt battery low charge warning light on the dashboard.

I am sure the brains at Toyota could come up with a solution.

@coreye9090  who wants to get on a bus/tube and risk catching some horrible disease. 🤮 🤧 💀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

What is the Ah of the Yaris Battery compared to other small non hybrid cars?

If they are roughly the same would I be right in saying that this problem could be worse in the non hybrid car?  Ie. If the car isn’t used regularly and the Battery gets depleted the non hybrid car will take a lot more out of the Battery than the hybrid one due to having to crank a starter motor rather than just spinning up the electric motor in the hybrid car

If that’s not correct then ‘I’ll get my coat’ 😆

• Like 2

I'm just a bit astonished that anyone would buy a brand new hybrid, or any type actually, knowing it's going to be a second card and rarely used. If you don't do the miles then the economy is never going to repay the cost.

An ordinary, low spec, car, maybe 5+ years old, would make far more sense, surely.

• Like 3

@ninanina The 12V Battery is 35Ah (20Ah less than a Battery in a conventional car). The battery’s job when starting the car is to activate some high voltage relays so the lithium Battery can then supply power to electric motor MG2 (which starts the petrol engine when required).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dash said:

The 12V battery is 35Ah (20Ah less than a battery in a conventional car). The battery’s job when starting the car is to activate some high voltage relays so the lithium battery can then supply power to the electric motor (which starts the petrol engine when required).

Yeah 35Ah is quite low     

I’m guessing using the car every few days is enough to keep the Battery topped up ok

I am just thinking what if I left my car at an airport for 3 weeks would I come back to a dead car?

I will now get my coat  🤣

6 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

I'm just a bit astonished that anyone would buy a brand new hybrid, or any type actually, knowing it's going to be a second card and rarely used. If you don't do the miles then the economy is never going to repay the cost.

An ordinary, low spec, car, maybe 5+ years old, would make far more sense, surely.

My wife has always had new cars and usually changed at 5 years old. Was never a problem with petrol or diesel cars. The diesel Auris was fine and we never had any issues at all with it.

2 hours ago, andyfr said:

The whole point of having a second car in our case is that it will only be used occasionally. You shouldn't have to put a larger battery in, Toyota should do that as standard. Neither should you have to sit in the car in ready mode every few days, connect up to a solar charger or have a battery pack.

We have had 4 Toyotas between us and up till the Yaris they have all been fantastic. I feel that the quality has gone down over the last few years which is a shame.

I'm asking was there a paricular issue with your car because our Cross can sit for several days without issue. The lady a few doors up bought a new Yaris Hybrid and that thing can sit a week without moving from her drive. All I've ever heard her say is she loves her little car.

As for the comment re: autolights are rubbish. I don't get that at all, I think the exact opposite.  The lights come on when the sensor in the windscreen is triggered by insufficient light, so if you're going thru trees that are shading the road? If your sensor deems it necessary the light is insufficient then other road users aren't going to see you too well either, especially if they are in bright sunlight.  We all know what it's like when we're driving in bright sun and then say enter a tunnel...  for the first few secs we can't see a thing until our eyes adjust. So isn't it a good thing the lights come on? I'd have said that was a bonus.

As for a 2nd car that's hardly used. I get that, totally disagree with the 'get a bus' comment - why shouldn't someone have a car for occassional use? Plenty of people own cars that are rarely used. The thing is, using an ICE will also cause problems. Anything mechanical needs to be used otherwise you have to accept it will become unreliable. An engine that isn't being turned over is not good for that engine, as for the rest of the components?  That's why airlines store their unused aeroplanes in places like the Mojave desert rather than Manchester airport.  🤣  

Look at car collectors who obviously have cars that are rarely used. They're always undercover, they're regulalry serviced and their batteries are always on trickle charge - regarless of what type of engine is powering them.

Good luck with the Mazda.

• Like 1

I understand the KIA Niro (and appropriate Hyundai model) have a button under the dash to allow the HV Battery to give a boost to the 12V Battery. Is it not within the realms of possibility for Toyota to copy this?

• Like 1

It's totally the wrong car for me also. I haven't put any petrol in it yet despite owning it for 2 months.

But it is lovely and as long as you compensate for lack of use then it will be a good purchase 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Isn't the Mazda 2 hybrid a Yaris? Frying pan - fire?

1 minute ago, bathtub tom said:

Isn't the Mazda 2 hybrid a Yaris? Frying pan - fire?

No, there is the Mazda 2 Hybrid (Yaris clone) and the Mazda 2 petrol.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

I understand the KIA Niro (and appropriate Hyundai model) have a button under the dash to allow the HV battery to give a boost to the 12V battery. Is it not within the realms of possibility for Toyota to copy this?

It should be possible, as with some EV cars, for the HV Battery to automatically charge the 12V Battery via the inverter at anytime it is needed (i.e. when the car is parked up and not in use). My previous FIAT 500 electric used to do this if the car was unused for a few days.

• Like 1

@coreye9090  who wants to get on abus/tube and risk catching some horribledisease. 🤮 🤧 💀

it’s not just that, I was on the bus the other day and a woman got on with a young baby, she then began to breastfeed it, the baby was a bit reluctant to feed so the lady said “ come on now, if you don’t eat up I’ll give it to that nice man” ten minutes later she said again, “ come on now, if you don’t eat up I’ll give it to that nice man, “ another ten minutes went by and she said it again, “ come on now, eat up or I’ll give it to that nice man” , I’d had enough by now so I went over to her and said, “ I wish you’d make up your mind mrs, I should have got off three stops ago”….

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links