Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flat battery

rhiananders

Can anyone tell me please how to charge a flat Battery on a Yaris Cross  hyybrid?  Back from 3 months away and its dead. Left dooors unlocked to avoid alarm going off.

Under the bonnet, right hand side as you're looking at it, is a fusebox cover - Take it off and look for a red plastic cover with a [+] on it - Slide it over and it'll reveal a big copper busbar you can clamp the red jump lead to. Connect the black lead to a convenient exposed metal part that the lead can reach, pref a big bolt or stud on the engine, then turn on the jump starter, get in the car, hold the brake pedal and hit the start button/twist the key.

Car should power up - Leave it like that for at least an hour or go for a long drive.

If this is not the first time this has happened, get a new 12v Battery for it - It's under the rear seats on the driver's side; There's an access panel on the seat base to get at it.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, rhiananders said:

Back from 3 months away and its dead.

It's almost certainly damaged it as well, so won't hold it's specified charge. It will only get worse. So as Cyker says start thinking about replacing it. 

If you are likely to be leaving it like this again (eg. property abroad, regular long business trips) consider using a trickle charger while away. Lots of advice elsewhere here now to do that as this is a not uncommon problem.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Cyker said:

this is not the first time this has happened, get a new 12v battery for it - It's under the rear seats on the driver's side; There's an access panel on the seat base to get at it.

Not for the faint hearted.   I haven't even tried to get at my Battery.  Removing and reinstalling an new Battery would be difficult lifting out and lifting a new one in.   Best to get your garage or Battery supplier to do it.

I see your car is 2022.  Normally a battery should last longer than this, but once it has been as flat as that it is on its way out.

• Like 2

Many thanks for the info but nothing is happening. It hasn't occurred before, but is it possible the Battery has gone too far and needs replacing?

26 minutes ago, rhiananders said:

Many thanks for the info but nothing is happening.

Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by this? What exactly are you doing?

change the Battery, the Battery may be too far gone to jump it

• Like 2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeSh said:

Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by this? What exactly are you doing?

Where are you connecting the charger?

What charger are you connecting?

What lights does the charger display?

What Cyker describes is the procedure for jump starting or Battery charging. 

If you have a jump starter pack, it should power up the car thus allowing you to get in to Ready Mode.

If you have a charger the car will only allow you to start once you have sufficient charge in the Battery,that could take several hours.

A short cut if you have a breakdown service, call them.

• Like 2

Hybrid car 12V batteries don't hold their charge well. I had a 2017 auris 1.8 and went away for 5 weeks with Battery connected. On my return cat started first go. I sold it in May for  Chr 1.8 2021 excel. I left it for 2 days and the Battery went flat. AA gave it a jump start. The dealers recommended to use a trickle charger . Now I still suspect that there is a fault with the Battery or the car charging system. It is dropping about 0.3V overnight which  seems excessive.

However I would check the voltage and at least try a jump start. It would be better to leave it in trickle charge for 12 hours. New Smart chargers are safe with hybrid cars. I got 4A one at Halfords and a compact jump stary smart kit that charges on a USB and fits in glovebox. Useful to jump start your own car.

Looks like in car electronics may be draining my battery.

For discussion is it safe with hybrids to disconnect 12V battery if going away for long period.

34 minutes ago, DV21VSV said:

I sold it in May for  Chr 1.8 2021 excel. I left it for 2 days and the battery went flat.

Previous owner probably flattened it at some point, or several, and the damage was done before you got the car. Replace the Battery before getting into a tangle of band-aids.

• Like 3

Mike, probably the Covid period cars  coming on to the 2nd user market. 

44 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Mike, probably the Covid period cars  coming on to the 2nd user market. 

2021 was getting to the end of it. Depends if it's an early or late 2021, or for MY even a late 2020.

But yes, quite possibly when the rot started.

Post 2016 hybrids and most other cars equipped with connected services has indeed 12v Battery if not used daily. Previous models without these extra electronics only had issues if you really leave the car for weeks without use or only use occasionally and for short drives.
Plus many older models has an AGM type batteries which seems better suited for hybrids imo. 

5 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Post 2016 hybrids and most other cars equipped with connected services has indeed 12v battery if not used daily. Previous models without these extra electronics only had issues if you really leave the car for weeks without use or only use occasionally and for short drives.
Plus many older models has an AGM type batteries which seems better suited for hybrids imo. 

Post 2020 (MY20) are the problem pre that “connected services” were not constantly on. 
left my MY19 Prius (no real connected services other than “toyota Online”) on the drive for 5 months during covid and it started up first time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Post 2016 hybrids and most other cars equipped with connected services has indeed 12v battery if not used daily. Previous models without these extra electronics only had issues if you really leave the car for weeks without use or only use occasionally and for short drives.

the Mk4 Yaris, as well as the E210 Corolla both, use LN type batteries which are calcium-flooded cells - technology marches on

https://www.gs-yuasa.com/en/newsrelease/article.php?ucode=gs160315422530_238

the sos/fully connected services (DCM) didn't come in till late 18/19 in the rolla and 2020 on (mk4 Yaris)

touch2 gen1 and 2, connected services was data over a phone connection which have all been but abandoned

• Like 3

Hi,

I was away for 5 weeks. When I tried to access my car, the remote was not working and the car won't start. I called my AA roadside assistance and they jump start the car and it work. I drive the car for 20 minutes and parked it and turn it off. When I tried to start the car again it gave me a messages "Braking power low and Pre-Collision System (PCS) Malfunction". It this related to the the Battery issue? Should bring it to Toyota to be check.

I highly appreciate your inputs. Thanks in advance! 

It's the 12v Battery, need more than 20mins of driving or 60mins of ready mode a few time. Better to trickle charge overnight if possible and check what sort of voltage after. Otherwise a new Battery

• Like 2

Topic moved to the Yaris forum.

Is there a location under the bonnet where I can attach a CTEK Smart Charger to ensure the 12 volt Battery doesn't flatten?