Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I’m going to buy a Dacia

Primus1

Or something that won’t matter if I scratch or ding it……I’ve only gone and kerbed an alloy in my cross…😡

• Sad 7

Ouch🫣

• Like 1

Newsflash: It doesn't matter what you drive if dinging it bothers you or doesn't bother you.

Personally I am totally incapable of understand why it matters. A car is a tool to be used, as long as it does the job it is supposed to I don't care what it looks like.

I do though, I like to keep my cars looking nice, I’ve never kerbed an alloy until now, our stupid half finished work car park with it’s ridiculous high kerbs and no room to manoeuvre because of building work going on..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

Newsflash: It doesn't matter what you drive if dinging it bothers you or doesn't bother you.

Personally I am totally incapable of understand why it matters. A car is a tool to be used, as long as it does the job it is supposed to I don't care what it looks like.

well I hope you care enough to not ding another persons car on purpose as they might care about dings. You could say the same about a house its a tool to be used so who cares what it looks like but people do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Alan,get one of these for work.:laugh:

image.thumb.png.aa5c629bc5754d0eb532d9e572bd0a7f.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Peel's go for good money these days £10-15k for a good one

• Haha 1

Buy used. They often come pre-dinged, so you don't need to do it yourself. (Murphy's Law prevails.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Bper said:

Alan,get one of these for work.:laugh:

image.thumb.png.aa5c629bc5754d0eb532d9e572bd0a7f.png

Great, but where’s the other half?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

Great, but where’s the other half?

pushing it up the hills

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Ah that's annoying.

I think the roller driver on one of the road jobs I was on must have kerbed an alloy in his car at some point.

He ran down the entire length of the new kerbing with the rear bracket of the roller, destroying the lot.

He got his revenge on kerbing,the sack, and speculation on his sanity all in one.

I suggest maybe a tap with a lump hammer ⚒️ on one of the kerbs just to satisfy honour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yaris Cross - change your wheels to 16" diameter with the standard Falken tyres and you will find it almost impossible to kerb the alloy wheels. My car has done 16000 miles and there isn't a mark on any of the alloys

It's the only car i have owned with alloy wheels which neither I nor previous owner has managed to kerb.

The 16" wheels might also improve the ride.

Ps I suspect that it wouldn't matter what car you own, any dings or scratches will bother you. 

• Like 4

Don't get a Dacia, just do what I did and stick some steel rims and cheap plastic wheel caps on - Best decision I ever made! So liberating!

Kerb the rims? Hit a pot hole? Who cares! :biggrin: :yahoo:

• Like 3

It's weird really. Alloy wheels were first fitted to decrease the unsprung weight and make cars handle better but now, most alloy wheels weigh more than the steel alternative. I have steels on my Smart and their weight is half the alloy weight and the drive and handling are much better for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I found that too - My 15" steels are lighter than the 17" alloys and have a shorter rotating mass. I think it's a big reason why I'm getting such high mpgs compared to everyone else :laugh: 

Nowadays alloys are purely for bling, nothing else. The bigger the blingier. But also the worser.

The alloys that are worth having are the forged ones - Super strong and super light - but they are insanely expensive. It's one of the things that annoys me with the GR Yaris, as the circuit-spec comes with forged alloys but so many owners swap them for blingier cast alloys which are much heavier! Most of the value in the circuit spec is the forged alloys, not the torsen diffs! If you're going to do that you'd be better off getting the convenience pack and fitting some torsen diffs aftermarket!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mjolinor said:

It is for many people John but not to others.  I think whether it bothers you isn’t just about resale value but how you appreciate your stuff.  It also might depend on whether getting to the point of having nice stuff was a battle or it was handed with no value.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Primus1 said:

I do though, I like to keep my cars looking nice, I’ve never kerbed an alloy until now, our stupid half finished work car park with it’s ridiculous high kerbs and no room to manoeuvre because of building work going on..

If you bought a Dacia you’d still turn it out nice.  Some people have a nice house and a filthy car treated like a skip.  That’s the true measure, not the house.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, anchorman said:

Some people have a nice house and a filthy car treated like a skip.  That’s the true measure, not the house.

But the car is theirs. The house is probably 'hers'.

• Haha 4

Steel wheels with wheel covers,,,just no, any more talk like that and I’ll press charges….

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, anchorman said:

If you bought a Dacia you’d still turn it out nice.  Some people have a nice house and a filthy car treated like a skip.  That’s the true measure, not the house.  

Yes, even when I hire a skip it has to be loaded tidily…

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Dinged alloys is really just down to bad driving, no use blaming an inanimate object like a kerb 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, anchorman said:

It is for many people John but not to others.  I think whether it bothers you isn’t just about resale value but how you appreciate your stuff.  It also might depend on whether getting to the point of having nice stuff was a battle or it was handed with no value.  

Well that missed the point of my post. I was saying that the value of your possession will not affect how damaging it affects you. The value is irrelevant, the damage will either bother you or it won't.

As I said it does not bother me but it does bother some. Nothing wrong with either opinion but for sure that is no indication of caring for the item.

I would lay money on the fact that my car is mechanically better than any other car on this forum of a similar age. It wants for absolutely nothing when it comes to function and safety. As long as the external plastics will still stop a pedestrian getting tangled in the cars internals then they are good enough for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chas G said:

Yaris Cross - change your wheels to 16" diameter with the standard Falken tyres and you will find it almost impossible to kerb the alloy wheels. My car has done 16000 miles and there isn't a mark on any of the alloys. 

18 inch here, dinged both rear tyres within a month, missed the alloys.  Bad luck/good luck I guess.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Hybrid21 said:

Dinged alloys is really just down to bad driving, no use blaming an inanimate object like a kerb 😄 

Yes, ok, but our parking is being done at the home where I work, it’s only half done as they have moved onto another section, the kerb is about 8 in high which will be added to with more tarmac later, with a steel fence a car’s length in front and a car parked on the other side, it makes it difficult to drive out from the space, bad driving, or just misjudging a brand new, never been there before, newly created car parking spaces?

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links