Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto wipers not good enough

Steven83

Does anyone else feel the auto wipers aren’t good enough? 

I have mine set to the most sensitive setting, yet if the rain is fine the window can become completely covered before the wipers will do anything and then it will likely go to intermediate setting meaning I have to keep intervening. 

Then other times it will be heavier rain but only a few drops and the wipers come on like crazy.

There is nothing blocking the sensor I just feel it’s a poor quality system. 

Corrola 2020 

Mine work fine. 

6 hours ago, Steven83 said:

Does anyone else feel the auto wipers aren’t good enough? 

I have mine set to the most sensitive setting, yet if the rain is fine the window can become completely covered before the wipers will do anything and then it will likely go to intermediate setting meaning I have to keep intervening. 

Then other times it will be heavier rain but only a few drops and the wipers come on like crazy.

There is nothing blocking the sensor I just feel it’s a poor quality system. 

Corrola 2020 

Have you tried adjusting the rain sensor sensitivity?

Agreed. The first car I owned that had them was a Honda Jazz. I found a speed setting that seemed ideal for all conditions. Truly set and forget automation.

The next Jazz I owned required some adjustment to the speed depending on conditions. My Corolla is the same and possibly a bit more inconsistent. For me wipers that automatically start but at the wrong speed misses the point as barely worth the bother.

Mine work fine as far as controlling the frequency of intermittent wiping goes. I do find that they're a tad reluctant when it comes to the point that a constant wipe is needed, so I tend to switch it up myself at that point. In general, I've found that the electronic systems on my Toyota are a bit rough around the edges compared to their German counterparts. One would hope that it's because they want to maintain their traditional focus on reliability engineering rather than creating an illusion of luxury.

• Like 1

Yes I have the sensitivity set to maximum.

sometimes switching it off and on again seems to wake it up, but it seems to be if it’s light rain then the sensor takes time to pick it up and i can have a window full of rain and it still hasn’t activated.

my bmw was faultless with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red_Corolla said:

Mine work fine as far as controlling the frequency of intermittent wiping goes. I do find that they're a tad reluctant when it comes to the point that a constant wipe is needed, so I tend to switch it up myself at that point. In general, I've found that the electronic systems on my Toyota are a bit rough around the edges compared to their German counterparts. One would hope that it's because they want to maintain their traditional focus on reliability engineering rather than creating an illusion of luxury.

These Toyotas still aren’t cheap tho, I’d like to expect the wipers can function properly.

Mine work fine

This is typical behaviour of all Toyota cars with auto wipers. 
I had few Prius and Auris all been the same. 
Because of the water droplets 💦 that never stays equal or in the right place over the sensor, sometimes they are misbehaving and doing exactly opposite of what they should do.
Nothing wrong. Just help them manually and then they will be alright afterwards. I find settings two on the sensitivity roller works best for me. 👍

• Like 1

I've had auto wipers on my last 4 cars and never found them to be perfect. I think the Corolla is as good as any of them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steven83 said:

These Toyotas still aren’t cheap tho, I’d like to expect the wipers can function properly.

For me, they serve their purpose just fine, keeping in mind that I'd already been driving for 20 years before I even had the opportunity to try rain-sensing wipers, on any vehicle. Heck, I've spent many hours driving vehicles with no intermittent wiping at all. Compared to that, they're mind-blowingly good! 😆

• Like 2

I can change the delay on my wipers 3 preset positions plus if you have a long delay it can speed up if it starts to come on with heavy rain.

Yes they are rain sensing wipers.

I know what you mean sometimes mine don’t seem to wipe when it starts to rain, other times it will do one wipe on a perfectly dry screen, I liked the ones on my Ford that, if the wipers came on in heavy rain, the headlights came on too..I think that should be a feature on all cars with auto wipe

• Like 2

Agreed, its a slight iritation for me too, that when auto wipers sense rain that the auto headlights don't switch on.

I wouldn't mind if it triggered the sidelights, but often when it's raining it does not warrant the use of your beams but that's the only thing the auto lights will switch to for some reason.

• Like 1

Both my Jazz with this feature only switched the headlights on if the wiping became almost continuous. That was fine with the first model but the second model - like my Corolla - was just not good at adapting wipe frequency to rainfall.

• Like 2

+1 to the above, I like to have tail lights in the rain and, if driving in heavy spray, full headlights.

• Like 3

My car has these auto lights and wipers but I prefer to use them manually. 
Full control and awareness are the best. The times that everything will be automatic in all cars and the driver will become a passenger aren’t too far away so enjoy being a driver while you still can. 🛞👌👍

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't mind automatic systems as long as I can override them, so don't mind the auto wipers since I can turn them off; Just wish i could do the same with the headlights!!

It's days like this where it's dull and rainy and the car can't decide whether to keep the headlights on or off, so they were constantly going on and off for the entire journey to my colleague's house and I didn't notice for most of the journey until they asked why I kept turning them on and off! :oops:

And then when I got home I forgot to turn them off because I'd switched to sidelights to stop them turning on and off!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, I don't mind automatic systems as long as I can override them, so don't mind the auto wipers since I can turn them off; Just wish i could do the same with the headlights!!

It's days like this where it's dull and rainy and the car can't decide whether to keep the headlights on or off, so they were constantly going on and off for the entire journey to my colleague's house and I didn't notice for most of the journey until they asked why I kept turning them on and off! :oops:

And then when I got home I forgot to turn them off because I'd switched to sidelights to stop them turning on and off!

It does get a bit annoying passing under bridges in slow traffic, doesn't it? 😄

My main issue with auto headlights is that they breed complacency, and that can become a problem when it turns foggy, i.e. normal fog - not the rare kind where visibility is so poor that the foglights are called for. It's very easy to forget to turn the headlights on in daylight fog once you've got into the habit of letting the car do everything for you. But the car doesn't see fog, only the light level!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links