Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Soon To Be A Mr2 Turbo Owner

jerry phipps

Hi everyone

Well i have finally gone and done it. I have made a deposit on a rev 3 red gts. And i must say it look nice. I wont be getting it for at least 5 - 6 weeks :crybaby: So mean while i need some help from you guys and girls.

1st up Turbo timers. Whats a good make and what would i expect to pay for one.

2nd Alarm cat 1 insurance approval any good makes you recommend??

3rd Dump valve any ideas or which one i should be looking at if i need one really??

All the above can be fitted at the garage where I'm buying the car from. I was told that i could get a turbo timer from them for about £65 pounds fitted. The car what I'm buying is box standard and has covered only 23,000 miles original :yes: So for now I'm counting the days. As I'm really looking forward to owning a mr2.

Any comments to the above will be really appreciated cheers guy's and girl's

jerry!!

shweeeeeeeeeeeeet!! sounds tasty!! ul havta change ur siggy B)

That i will mate. Once i get some pictures of it :yes:

jerry!!

nice one geeza! thats a very healthy mileage for a rev 3 :thumbsup: now for your q's

1. The Apexi Turbo Timer seems to be the most popular, most featured (and best looking one imo). you can pick these up for £65-£75. The MR2OC shop sells them for £70 including delivery I think.

pImgLeft_electronics_timer1.jpg

specs are here.

2. I'd say go for a clifford personally but thats only cos it's what I've got :P

3. The Blitz and HKS SSQV are the most popular. I prefer the HKS myself though..just need to save up to get one :ph34r:

for pictures,sound and videos on BOV's goto blowoffvalves.com and click on the link that says "Click here for sound and video clips!" :hokus-pokus:

nice one geeza! thats a very healthy mileage for a rev 3 :thumbsup: now for your q's

1. The Apexi Turbo Timer seems to be the most popular, most featured (and best looking one imo). you can pick these up for £65-£75. The MR2OC shop sells them for £70 including delivery I think.

pImgLeft_electronics_timer1.jpg

specs are here.

ditto...

and thats the one ive got mate which i pm'd you about... :thumbsup:

let me know if you want it.. and thanks DuesMR2 as it saves me getting pics etc for Jerry.. :thumbsup: :D

Nice move on getting one mate! :thumbsup:

Once you've owned it just a few days you'll wish you'd have done it sooner... boost is addictive... :drool:

You don't actually need a turbo timer... just be sensible after you've given the car some heat. Obviously, if you've thrashed it, drive the last few miles off boost and let the car idle for a minute. If you boost till you park and then sit on idle, timer or not, the car can suffer heat soak. They are a good idea though, if you've got the money. The problem with turbo timers is that the majority will not actually detect if you've lost oil pressure, or if the water temp is rising. Really, in these circumstances the timer should be intelligent enough to cut power to the engine... as it will do more damage than good.

I have a GT AUTO alarm fitted, and it does all I need, and is CAT1 alarm and immobiliser. I think most people will recommend Clifford as it's a well established, trustworthy brand. I used to have a Concept 50X on my last car. It was great, but a little too paranoid. The car would scream if a big lorry drove past it!!! Of course, I was great friends with the neighbours! My friend fits out the F1 trailers with security systems and they use Laserline. These trailers are worth millions... do the maths!

As far as the BOV is concerned... I have an HKS SSQV BOV. It was a little dearer than the some of the others, but I love it. Again though, you don't actually need one. The stock re-circulating system is very good in itself if you're leaving the stock air filter system in place. It will not lower your 0-60 time by half a second or anything like that, but it will preserve the turbo and make a :censor: great sound!!!

If I was to do it all over again, the first thing I'd invest in is the Aussie Exhaust downpipe (CAT replacement). This will offer the most noticeable power gains for the relatively cheapest price (~£230).

Hope this helps. I'm sure there will be contradicting opinions within this thread... so just offering my two pennies worth.

Good luck mate. ;) :thumbsup:

very nice mate, what year is it and how much did you pay?- if you dont mind answerin!

OH YEAH- what colour?!!

all your questions are answered above.... so all i have to say is congrats mate. it's gonna be a whole heap of fun :D

Congrats Jerry, glad temptation got the better of you ;)

If you need any local "knowleadge" give me a shout mate :)

Hope you don't turn out to be cocky jerry, someone really cheesed me off on here with their cockiness!! :censor: :censor: no names mentioned..

But enjoy ur Mister2 u lucky boy :thumbsup:

Hi everyone

Hey DeusMR2 Thanks for the pictures of the turbo timer. Wow that really does look small and neat. So you would say that is one of the best on the market yeah. I think that makes sense to get one like that mate.

Hi fizz

I will let you know about this mate. As i have got to see if the garage will fit this for me first. You know what garages are like mate as they want you to buy things from them first. If it's ok mate i will have it off of you mate ok. I will let you know mate ok :thumbsup:

Hi starlet sr

I sold my yaris in the end mate :crybaby: It will be a sad day mate when it goes. But i know that it will be going to a good home. And to the person who has brought it :ph34r: I'll let them reveal them selfs to you :P Me cocky come on you all know me better than that :thumbsup:

Hi jesus

Thanks for all the useful information matey. I think at the end of the day i have really got to sit down and think which is best for my pocket. I think i will stay with the most popular tuning parts as i have got blitz and hks on my yaris now and they are faults less. Your choice in alarms i have never heard of them before i will have to do a search on the net and looking into them. It sounds like it's a good make. At the end of the day it's insurance approved ah :thumbsup:

Hi frosty_11

Cheers mate. I couldn't resist. I have been thinking about buying one for quite some time now and with my mate buying one. It made me buck up my ideas and go out and buy one. Once i have brought it buddy i will come along and show you guy's on the northants site :thumbsup:

And to all of you guy's and girls who answered my post thanks and i will get some pictures up for all who are interested to see :thumbsup: Hope that i haven't missed anyone out :help:

jerry!!

Man i really want this person to reveal himself/herself soon... hehehe... lucky person, bet this person wont keep it as clean and tidy as u did though :P no offense to the person that brought it...

Yeah i hope you aint cocky, best to keep it that way :thumbsup: post us some pics of ur motor soon jerry :D

Man i really want this person to reveal himself/herself soon... hehehe... lucky person, bet this person wont keep it as clean and tidy as u did though :P no offense to the person that brought it...

Yeah i hope you aint cocky, best to keep it that way :thumbsup: post us some pics of ur motor soon jerry :D

I'm sure once the time is right they will come on and reveal themselves to you all ;)

jerry!!

The best bit of knowledge i can give you m8 is DONT PUT UR FOOT DOWN GOING ROUND ROUNDABOUTS!!!! do it and its aiiieeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! :eek:

Ive had mine for about a month now and although its only a REV2, (yours is a REV 3 and that means its quicker, grrrrrrrr) its been the best car ive ever had. Enjoy!!!

nice one jerry!!

top choice in vehicle!!

maybe ill get round to gettin one soon!

We've got a Clifford Concept 500 in our turbo, the turbo timer option is only £20.

nice one jerry!!

top choice in vehicle!!

maybe ill get round to gettin one soon!

Cheers mate now I've got the long wait till it arrives :crybaby:

jerry!!

We've got a Clifford Concept 500 in our turbo, the turbo timer option is only £20.

Hi Stef Derner

That's interesting you say that you have got a clifford concept 500 and with the turbo timer it's only £20 more :o So how much does a clifford concept 500 car alarm set you back?? Any idea's

jerry!!

Our Cliffie was a shade under £500 inc the turbo timer and fitting about a year ago. The concept 500 has been replaced by the next generation alarm, the price is about the same but the functionality is reduced - the car jacking protection is an extra on the new alarms and standard on the 500. You get full closure and can have remote start and remote boot open as extras. The radar proximity is useful to keep people away from the car too.

Our Cliffie was a shade under £500 inc the turbo timer and fitting about a year ago. The concept 500 has been replaced by the next generation alarm, the price is about the same but the functionality is reduced - the car jacking protection is an extra on the new alarms and standard on the 500. You get full closure and can have remote start and remote boot open as extras. The radar proximity is useful to keep people away from the car too.

Thanks for that Stef Derner. You have been really helpful. Now i got a good idea on which car alarm i should go for :thumbsup:

jerry!!

Doesn't a Turbo timer (Not built into the alarm system types) affect the Cat 1 status?

I was advised that by my installer thats all.

Hope you enjoy the car dude!

Doesn't a Turbo timer (Not built into the alarm system types) affect the Cat 1 status?

I was advised that by my installer thats all.

Hope you enjoy the car dude!

Hey Billy C

Thats a valid point you have there my friend i will have to look into that mate. Theres so many things that you have to look out for ah mate? Good job you mentioned that :thumbsup: Cheers.

jerry!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links