Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Abs Light...

Wibble

my ABS light goes out after start-up, but comes on again, 500 yards up the road.. any giesses on where to start.. or should i just disconnect the lamp in the clock panel?

TIA :D

well have you tried braking hard , does the abs work or not , or does any wheel lock up ,usually the wheel that locks up is the offending wheel,the sensors range from £89 for the fronts and £126 for the rears.remember you need the light off when having an mot test , taking the bulb out isnt the answer as they will test if there is a bulb in the dash ,you can take it to toyota who will gladly test the system free of charge.fitting a sensor is pretty easy , you need to drill out the old 1 first then insert the new one using copper slip or grease to slide it in.unless they are fixed onto a bracket like some are .then its even easier :thumbsup:

you can test it yourself , in the diagnostics box there is a silver bridging pin , take this out , using a paper clip or a length of wire join E1 and TC , THEN INSIDE THE CAR WATCH THE LIGHT FLASH , IT WILL FLASH 3 times then a pause then flash some more , write these down , fault codes are , fronts are 31 and 32 rears are 35 and 36 . after fixing the offending sensor put the metal bridge back in and press the brake really fast 10 to 20 times to reset the ecu. sometimes it resets itself after fixing the problem. :thumbsup:

well have you tried braking hard , does the abs work or not , or does any wheel lock up ,usually the wheel that locks up is the offending wheel,the sensors range from £89 for the fronts and £126 for the rears.remember you need the light off when having an mot test , taking the bulb out isnt the answer as they will test if there is a bulb in the dash ,you can take it to toyota who will gladly test the system free of charge.fitting a sensor is pretty easy , you need to drill out the old 1 first then insert the new one using copper slip or grease to slide it in.unless they are fixed onto a bracket like some are .then its even easier :thumbsup:

cheers for the fast reply.. I'm not sure if the abs is working.. will give it a try tomorrow.. I know that one sensor is a bit dodgy in the front, but they are on brackets, so a peice of cake to change :)

do the pumps go wrong much? I'm just trying to kep costs down.. fourtunatley I live near Launceston/Kelly Bray& there is a Celica only breakers, so I may try them for the ABS sensors..

you can test it yourself , in the diagnostics box there is a silver bridging pin , take this out , using a paper clip or a length of wire join E1 and TC , THEN INSIDE THE CAR WATCH THE LIGHT FLASH , IT WILL FLASH 3 times then a pause then flash some more , write these down , fault codes are , fronts are 31 and 32 rears are 35 and 36 . after fixing the offending sensor put the metal bridge back in and press the brake really fast 10 to 20 times to reset the ecu. sometimes it resets itself after fixing the problem. :thumbsup:

u are a GOD.. thank u :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

if you do change one i take it its a gen 6 , the multi plug is just under the wing liners at the top , sometimes it can be just a snapped wire as they are very thin wires. i fixed mine this year , my 2 fronts were knackered and they guy at toyota didnt want me paying 60 quid an hour labour so he told me how to diy.also the sensor has to be plumb opposite the drive shaft slots or they give off errors.

Does this test work on a Gen 5 Celica as well?

dunno - try it :thumbsup:

Mines an M reg - one witht eh four headlamps.. not sure what generation than is?

I'm gonna have a go at it this afternoon.. will let you know the results :thumbsup:

thanks again, ur a star

yours is a generation 6 wibble , the new celica is 7 , so on and so forth , good luck anyways

Does this test work on a Gen 5 Celica as well?

well I did the test today & the ABS light flashed 10 times.. what does that code mean?

there has to be a gap between the first flashes then the second set , like 3 and 7 , 4 and 6 , 2 and 8 , 5 and 5 , etc, look for the pause after the first flashes then count how many times it flashes again.thats your error code :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links