Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Question

starletsr

I was wondering if this has anything to do with the juddering of the brakes.... if the caliper is faulty would this cause my brake padel to shake?

I'm asking because i am gonna change my discs and pads soon.

So i will need to know whether i need to change the caliper too....

:help:

please help with this question guys as i'm having the same problem....unsure if its the caliper thats causing the problem, don't wanna change the disc and pads then realising that it's going to occur again....

cheers guys and gals

:thumbsup:

without looking at it close up, likely to be a warped disk ( could be caused by overheating if your very hard on thebrakes, or a sticking caliper/piston, Although other causes do occur these are the most common, that i've seen at least.) need to make sure the piston is not sticking as this would fubar your new brakes,

To be honest, unless you know exactly what your looking at, get an expert to sort it, ok it may cost money, but brakes will save your life on many occasions.( I know this from personal experiance)

If you know your caliper is faulty and if it has been sticking then this will be the cause of warping discs.

Some dealerships will advise getting the discs skimmed, but avoid this, rather get new replacements. It's often also cheaper to go with aftermarket upgrades than to go stock from MrT. Or if you can't afford upgrades then go with stock equivalent (i.e Ferodo).

You will also need to replace the faulty calipers and possibly the pads too (depending on the wear).

Pop into a Mr Clutch or Kwikfit for a free check only and drive away. Then go gold to order the parts (on discount) and get someone from the forum (near to you) to help you fit the bits.

NB: If changing discs and pads do it by the axle (i.e both sides) regardless of the condition of the one not faulty. Only a faulty caliper needs replacing - not both if both are not damadged.

Also read my How-To in the Workshop Submissions section.

HTH :thumbsup:

I have a general question regarding warped brake discs, wondered if anybody knew.

Some apparently very experienced mechanics are saying that warping of the discs is very unlikely and that the usual cause of brake judder is the build up of pad material unevenly on the discs. The thinking is that if you have a long stop (ie. from a high speed) to standstill and you keep the pedal pressed then some of the hot brake pad gets embossed onto the disc. Over time this can cause unevenness.

We are only talking about tiny variations in the disc thickness, as you can feel judder with only a few thousandths of an inch of unevenness on the disc. The solution is the same, either grind the discs which I think is tricky, or get a new set.

Regardless of which theory is right, I never come to a complete standstill after a long stop just in case of brake damage.

Is it possible to tell from inspection of the disc as to what has gone wrong? I guess, given the confusion, it's difficult to find clear evidence either way. And I gather these days that the pads are harder than they used to be. My Corolla pads are wearing down the discs as much as the pads.

Cheers

Paul.

As has been said, just pop the car into kwik fit or national tyres or somewhere like that as they all do a free brake test and will give you a printout of the condition of your brakes.

does sound like warped discs.

It's not un-common, my track car has gone through a fair share of warped discs and calipers.

I dont think you'd drive your car as hard as that though. :P

After hard braking or long drives, dont put your handbrake on straight away, as that seems to be the most common way of warping them.

stu :)

Well just ordered my 3G discs and pagid pads today :rolleyes: hopefully i won't warp these ones too or iam going to be one unhappy bunny :cacker: hehehe

Just take it slow and easy for the first 100 or so miles - no hard braking or handbrake turns :P

If you get into a situation where you have to brake really hard (in an emergency) get the discs checked as soon as. Until they are bedded in propperly they can warp or even crack in extreme cases.

They may feel a little soft at first but as they bed in they'll start to bite nicely :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links