Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Odd Plastic Box Beneath Radio On Previa?

veewhy

We have a 98 Previa GX with a weird black plastic box/covering an area above the Car Stereo. It has 6 repeat images of a 'T' turned 90o right, and another single image of a heating element (similar to windscreen heater icon). Does anyone know what bit i am talking about, and how do i remove it?

• 2 months later...

We have a 98 Previa GX with a weird black plastic box/covering an area above the Car Stereo. It has 6 repeat images of a 'T' turned 90o right, and another single image of a heating element (similar to windscreen heater icon). Does anyone know what bit i am talking about, and how do i remove it?

i know the bit you mean, got the same on my 95 GS , but i have no idea what it is.

hope someone can help us.

i had that whole unit off today, to put new stereo in. the bit you are talking about does not come off , it is part of that whole front unit. it is strange as it appears to do nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Previa originally had room for a double DIN size radio e.g. one with a cassette and CD combined. These were quite common in the US and Japan.

I am about to try and remove the stereo from my Wife's 1996 Previa. Does anyone have a good guide as to how it comes out (Toyota branded Sony CDX-300RDS cassette/radio)

Thanks

If it's the same as an Estima, then simply pry off the black surround using a thin-bladed screwdriver and there are 4 bolts holding the double DIN fram into the car. Take out the frame and the radio is screwed to it.

1. Remove the fuse box cover.

2. Remove the 2 outer screws either side of the top of the heater switches. The inner ones hold the heater switch and dont have to be undone.

3. You can now pull out the whole curved assembly that holds the stereo.

4. To do this, grab both side*, just infront of the vent to get leverage, and pull straight back. There are 2 thin clips at the base of the panel which are clipped in, you will hear a crack noise, this is just them releasing.

5. If you do need to remove the spacer (the black box thing you have been talking about) you can do this once you have the panel removed. It is secured from inside that panel with 4 screws.

*alternatively, you can ease your fingers into the top upper corners right at the back of the panel where it joins onto the instrument cowel.

• 2 months later...

It is part of the fascia and can't be removed - however, the T images etc. show you where to put the heater/air sliders for best demisting - the T images are actually supposed to represent the sliders that are physically just above them!

• 10 months later...

1. Remove the fuse box cover.

2. Remove the 2 outer screws either side of the top of the heater switches. The inner ones hold the heater switch and dont have to be undone.

3. You can now pull out the whole curved assembly that holds the stereo.

4. To do this, grab both side*, just infront of the vent to get leverage, and pull straight back. There are 2 thin clips at the base of the panel which are clipped in, you will hear a crack noise, this is just them releasing.

5. If you do need to remove the spacer (the black box thing you have been talking about) you can do this once you have the panel removed. It is secured from inside that panel with 4 screws.

*alternatively, you can ease your fingers into the top upper corners right at the back of the panel where it joins onto the instrument cowel.

I've just been trying that on my 95 Previa. The left hand side of the curved fascia seems to come free, but the right hand side seems fixed solid. There seems to be something holding it just about at the right hand side of the radio. I don't want to use too much force for fear of breaking things.

Other radio removal posts mention removing the ashtray and ashtray holder to gain access to screws holding the radio frame in - I can't see any way of removing the metal ashtray holder at all!

Any help would be appreciated.

jackd push left side back in and try to prise out together as on mine if you pulled one side the other will not come out as its a very tight fit.

be brave.

ray

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links