Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.8 Vvti-oil

terryirwin

Hello all.Have just registered so hope I get the routine ok. My 1.8 VVTi (Feb01) has always used oil whereas my previous non VVTi model was perfect. I bought it in Feb 03and when I mentioned this at servicing (main dealer) they just said all cars use oil sir.It gradually has got worse and I have been closely checking it since Feb 04 after 30K service. It has now deteriorated to 1 litre per 800 miles.

I am at moment waiting to hear if toyota will agree to pre authorise an engine stripdown to determine the problem.

Anybody got any experience of this? Thanks for any help

Oh dear, yet another Avensis with this trouble.

If you look back through the posts you'll find quite a few cases of Avensis' using excessive amounts of oil, seems to be something about the VVT-i engines, never really agreed with them myself after hearing how wheezy and rattly they seem to sound compared to the old tried and tested units.

I think Toyota are aware of the problem but are only replacing/fixing engines under extreme circumstances and with enough pressure by the sounds of it. I think they specified in the manual that 1 litre every 1000 miles is acceptable, so as yours is worse than this they might fix it.

Many thanks your comments. Have now gone through all the previous messages on this problem and at least now know I have a good case to argue the toss if Toyota play up rough. Will post further news when I have their response.

• 1 month later...

:blink:

Hello all.Have just registered so hope I get the routine ok. My 1.8 VVTi (Feb01) has always used oil whereas my previous non VVTi model was perfect. I bought it in Feb 03and when I mentioned this at servicing (main dealer) they just said all cars use oil sir.It gradually has got worse and I have been closely checking it since Feb 04 after 30K service. It has now deteriorated to 1 litre per 800 miles.

I am at moment waiting to hear if toyota will agree to pre authorise an engine stripdown to determine the problem.

Anybody got any experience of this? Thanks for any help

oooops,hit the panic button.just bought avensis vvti 1.8,registered in april 2001. going straight back to dealers in cardiff if thats the case.let me know how you get on with yours will you.best of luck

Hi There

My 2002 Avensis Diesel uses negligible oil betwen services, its always been run on Castrol Magnatex 10/40 semi-synthetic. It is really difficult to read the dipstick sometimes though as it "scrapes" on the side of the filler tube !

It may help that I never rev above 3000 (old man driving)

Cheers

Bazzer

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links