Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking...

gypmaster

Hi,

First post here so excuse any etiquette transgressions please!

I've decided I want a Celica GT (that's the 2.0 ltr innit?). The more I think about it, the more I realise I don't know. Hence this post.....

I've got around £4k to chuck at it so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I can expect to get for that kind of money....

Also, whether to go for an import (are they cheaper?) or UK car - what's the major differences anyway???

Also, where's the best places to look, usual suspects like autotrader???

What should I look for/avoid when buying?

Thanks in advance...

I'm really looking for a celica that's not been modified at all.....but thanks for letting me know of that one....

£5k for an '88 seems a bit steep....is that what I should expect though?

For £4k you'l be looking at something considerably newer then a £500 '88!!!!

I'd imagine the gen 6s are about that price now? (big quad headlights, like Lord Ed's car)

Are you sure you want the n/a and not the turbo 4x4? I'm sure you could get a nice GT-4 for that kind of money!!! (previous flap up light shape... my personal fave :thumbsup:)

I s'pose a turbo would be nice but aren't they more problematic than n/a? plus wouldn't there be a big insurance difference?

The insurance is naturally more for a turbo, as for maintenance costs, a well looked after one should not be more likely to break then a N/A one, (as long as its not been mucked about with) Turbos do wear, yes, and there is more strain on clutches/internals, but they are stronger fo this reason! The turbo modles are also far thirstyer! If you are just looking and not sure what you want, its definitely worth looking into!

If a newer N/A is better suited to you, fair play, you have explored the different oppertunities!!

My advice to most fist time toyota buyers (I'm not sure if you are one or not???) is don't immediately be put off by age or milage... these things are built to last.. infact I seem to buy older and older ones (now looking for a 1985 celica supra)

I take it you have had a "no price limit national search" on auto trader for celicas to get a feel of the different prices different versions and models go for? -if not, have a look!

My car is for sale, check out my garage :thumbsup:

She has had a new engine and gear box fitted within the last 3 weeks and runs very nicely. :thumbsup:

My car is for sale, check out my garage :thumbsup:

She has had a new engine and gear box fitted within the last 3 weeks and runs very nicely. :thumbsup:

Your car is exactly what I am after for Milly... but your miles away!!!!!!

Thanks for that Karma.....really solid advice.

I have looked on A/T locally for prices but I'll look national now, just to get a better idea.

Is it better to stick to UK cars or are imports acceptable too?

Is there any kind if checklist I could use when viewing?

So many quistions....

:eek: Ive just jumped from a fiesta 1.6i to a GT4...oh my lord, you want one of these I never believed a car could be so comfortable and pleasurable all at the same time! Watch out for the suspension tho I got bitten on the lower arms..800 quid later im sorted... BUT STILL WORTH IT!

Michelle

Oh and I forget to say Ive only got 3 years no claims age 32 and my fully comp insurance on the GT4 is 700 quid...so not bad and I would def hold out for a UK car with FSH a must. Get it RAC or AA inspected b4 u buy :hokus-pokus:

most uk models dont have air con the jap ones do . the jap ones are more powerfull , but only just , the uk ones are cheaper to insure and easier to locate parts for. non turbo is relatively fast at 173 bhp they can do over 125. easier on tyres too as the gt4 is 4 x 4 .a decent uk model you can pick up for 3k m reg - upto s reg for your 5k :thumbsup: these motors are reliable fast and dont rust , hope this helps :thumbsup:

Hi - My UK car came with air con as standard me thinks..mind you I think the guy who 1st purchased it payed around 33k !!! CRAZY MAAANNNN

I think the GT4 st205 ran till 97/98 P /R plate (Not sure which) and for a good one look to pay 7k to 8k upwards if modified. (Still worth every penny tho!)

Hope this helps

Michelle :D

gt4 ran to 1996 in the uk , 99 in japan. i was taliking about the st202 air con as i dont know much about the gt4 , never owned a one YET :drool:

Thanks Peeps,

Thats all really helpful stuff....

Can I ask msoutho how much you paid for your GT4, what mileage, year etc?

TIA

Yip, you certainly can...

It's a UK Car , no modifications with 59k on the clock. Full Toyota Serice History, 2 owners. All the usual reciepts and stuff...the timing belt and other belts had been done in prep for the sale as they need doing @ 63k anyway so If ur gunna buy one close to that you as a buyer should expect it to be done unless it's reflected in the price (Cost 350ish @ a Toyota Garage)

It was advertised for 8795 (List price is 7500in glass guide)...I offered him 7695 after a lot of bartering and game playing...we agreed on 7745.

It was hardish 2 find a UK model with the history I wanted but be patient and hold out 4 the right one or u could end up with a costly knacker!!! et it RAC/AA inspected I said I would and did not..only to find I had to spend 800 quid on the suspension (no wonder he let me av it for 7745!!!) :crybaby: Expect to travel a long way off to find the right one, every one of the cars advertised when I rang turned out to be imports (50 or so)...apart from the one I brought

Whatever, I love it... and wouldn't change it.

Hope this helps mate

Michelle

Thanks for that Michelle, it does help.

I take it you weren't interested in an import then :))) were there any particular reasons for that?

Ummm, just wanted a UK I guess because there harder to find...I never fancy imports sa you don't get service history and never know if the mileage is right.

Michelle

i understand your thinking asha , i'd do the same. :ph34r:

Don't want to harp on....but....

If I'm looking at buying an import (bearing in mind the relative scarcity of UK stuff mentioned by Michelle) are there any particular things I should look for or avoid?

TIA....again :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links