Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cambelt Probs Agen,agen,agen

urotsukidoji_badassdemon

Heres one for all you technically minded out there, I took my car to Millway last Thursday to check my cambelt. Again. The first time they did the belt, they changed the water pump, cos the bearing on it was shot, but wasn't leaking water. They pulley on it was wobbling about, so that was thought to be the cause of the belt going initially. OK, fair enough.

Then, a couple of days after I went home, I smelled a rubbery burning smell, so phoned them up, booked her in. This time, they tried changing BOTH of the cam pulleys, cos they said one of the pulleys had a tiny little imperfect spin. OK, fair enough I thought. Drove home.

The, yesterday afternoon, I went out , stopped car, got out, and lo and behold, there was a rubbery burning smell. AGAIN. WTH man?!?!?!

I've just phned up Millway,AGAIN, got her rebooked this Thursday. So, for you techies out there, get those little grey cells smouldering, and tell me whats going onnnnnnnn.

Yes, the jockey wheel of tensioner HAS been changed along with the jockey wheel that just sits there. Both of the cam pulleys were changed. The water pump was changed. That only leaves the crankcase pulley. HELLOOO. I am hoping I DON'T need a new crank pulley!!!!

This is really annoying me now, cos knowing that the belt is rubbing again, and could go on me at anytime again. It sorta stops me from enjoying the drive to anywhere. :(

The first time they did the belt, they changed the water pump, cos the bearing on it was shot,

My water pump was changed too , but did it cure the horrible noises coming from that part of the engine NO :angry:

What sound you got? If it was a hollowy sound, then thats the water pump usually.You not working today then Blood?

That only leaves the crankcase pulley.

Have you looked at the oil pump? It sounds like something in contact with the flat side of the belt causing friction though.

What sound you got? If it was a hollowy sound, then thats the water pump usually.You not working today then Blood?

When you first start up EVERY morning what ever the temp dry or wet it makes a wierd hollow sound like someone blowing strange noises into a tube this lasts for a good hr or so but then after a period of driving it just stops and doesnt do it till the next morning. oh and i dont work due to health problems operation next month :crybaby:

OIC, sorry to hear you are ill Blood. MikeB, oil pump? Is that the pulley down the bottom then? The one that the crank/big timing pulley bolts to?

When you first start up EVERY morning what ever the temp dry or wet it makes a wierd hollow sound like someone blowing strange noises into a tube this lasts for a good hr or so but then after a period of driving it just stops and doesnt do it till the next morning. oh and i dont work due to health problems operation next month :crybaby:

I had that noise on a Honda Civic i used to own, turns out it was the cam belt tensoiner which I had changed and that fixed the problem. The noise only appeared when the engine had warmed up (after about 20 mins driving). The tensioner was probably getting hot and expanding causing a bit of free play, sounds the other way round in this case.

The one at the very bottom is the crank pulley. The oil pump is low down on the inlet side of the engine. Here's a diagram I stole from another thread:

tbDiag.jpg

I think it is more likely to be one of the idler pulleys that run on the outside of the belt. Have you replaced both of them, and the tensioner? The toothed pulleys shouldn't cause friction on the belt, even if they are driving something which is tight. I don't think the belt tracking from side to side is anything to worry about.

Yeah, the alternator belt was changed when I went back last week, so thats out of the pic. I just thought, if not the oil pump pulley, then could the timing belt guide( the round metal plate) be the cause? Here is what I have had changed to date,

the 2 cam pulleys,

No.1 (tensioner)AND No.2 idler pulley's,

the complete water pump,

the alternator belt,

Whats left is the crankshaft timing pulley, the oil pump pulley, the timing belt guide. It was defo a problem with the cambelt cos I had a look at it before I went down to Millway, taking off the upper cam cover, to find the inner side/ engine side of the cam belt was shredding slightly.

Have you checked the Cam belt cover. I got mine changed a while back and the blokes at the garage missed out a washer - (a washer :ffs:) and is caused me to have horrible noise/rubbing. The cover was too close to the belt. Just a thought.

When I took the plastic cover off last week to have a gnader, I didn't see any rubbing marks on the inside of the cover no, only the firbousy remains of the initil belt( furry stuff) on the inside. Also, when at Millway, when they took off the bottom plastic cover, there wasn't any fresh rub marks either. :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links