Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Needed!

mikey_evans

Hi

Hopefully someone can help me on here.

A few months ago, my car overheated, I called the AA out, they found no leaks, filled my car with water and off I went again. Only to find (another drive later) that it happened again, so off it went to my local Toyota dealer. After a couple of days of searching, they decided that it was a seal around the coolant pipe that was leaking water, cost - £150. So, off I toddle, happy again to have my nippy little motor with me (instead of the naff Yaris they let you drive!!).

Until, surprise, it happens again. A few more days in Toyota garage and they decide it is definitely (that's what I was told at least!) the coolant pipes, cost - £630. After some searching for a better price (and a competent mechanic), I decide to go with Toyota anyway.

Much to my annoyance, it's still not right, I have paid nearly £800 for no improvement. They are now saying that both the engine block is cracked and the water pump is damaged, costing me £2000. A reconditioned engine would cost (discounted due to my inconvenience) £1900.

So, my questions to you good people, are:

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

Are reconditioned parts any good? Are there any garages around Manchester that can supply and fit this for cheaper?

Does anyone know how Toyota deal with complaints? Is there a central team that deal with them, or do I just write to my local dealer and get an ubiky response back?

Thanks

Mike

I'd have thought its far more likely that the initial overheating has warped the cylinder head so you have head gasket failure. Judging by the amount of posts covering this subject head gasket failure is quite common, especially if the previous owners haven't used the proper coolant.

Being an aluminium head any overheating is likely to cause warping, and while I have heard of people having cracked cylinder heads I've not yet heard of anyone with a cracked block.

They do say there has to be a first for everything though so maybe its you.

We also seem to hear many tales of how poor Toyota dealers seem to be. Perhaps you should look for a decent independant garage.

i have seen a two cracked blocks, one was due to poor build (oil left in the head stud threads causing hydraulicing) and the other was on a 2.2 stroker which only cracked at 2.2bar boost.

dont think either of these apply to you. best bet is to get an independant garage to do a test on your head gasket to make sure

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links