Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Calling Celica Import Owners. Help!

amdaudi

Can someone with a 1994 (round headlight) Celica please trace their Lambda sensor wiring plug and tell me which wires match which on the car. My mother has a jap import and someone has cut off the plug and now the car is running very rich. The colours on the lambda sensor do not match where I think the sensor should plug into.

They are as follows: lambda side...white,blue and two black wires.

Car side........yellow+black, brown, Pink+blue, white.

Cheers :(

No, I didn't cut it. My mother bought it like that, and it didn't come to light until she had to MOT it. I don't know whether the lambda is goosed or not but would like to find out by connecting it to the cars wiring first. Thats where you guy's come in, can anyone please help?......... :huh:

i will look at the wires on mine tomorrow for you , but it may be different, the wires you describe is the toyota sensor , so you may be in luck.

www.justlambda.co.uk

brown to white

yellow and black to 1 black ?

white to blue

pink and blue to 1 black ?

no bother man , sorry i took so long. ;)

The exhaust gas oxygen sensor (EGO or O2), or lambda sensor, is the key sensor in the engine fuel control feedback loop. The computer uses the O2 sensor's input to balance the fuel mixture, leaning the mixture when the sensor reads rich and richening the mixture when the sensor reads lean.

Lambda sensors produces a voltage signal that recognises the amount of unburned oxygen in the exhaust. An oxygen sensor is essentially a Battery that generates its own voltage. When hot (at least 250 degrees c.), the zirconium dioxide element in the sensor's tip produces a voltage that varies according to the amount of oxygen in the exhaust compared to the ambient oxygen level in the outside air. The greater the difference, the higher the sensor's output voltage.

Sensor output ranges from 0.2 Volts (lean) to 0.8 Volts (rich). A perfectly balanced or "stoichiometric" fuel mixture of 14.7 parts of air to 1 part of fuel gives an average reading of around 0.45 Volts.

The lambda sensor's output voltage doesn't remain constant, however. It flip-flops back and forth from rich to lean. Every time the voltage reverses itself and goes from high to low or vice versa, it's called a "cross count." A good O2 sensor on a injection system should fluctuate from rich to lean about 1 per second. If the number of cross counts is lower than this, it tells you the O2 sensor is getting sluggish and needs to be replaced.

Most lambda sensors will cycle from rich to lean in about 50 to 100 milliseconds, and from lean to rich in 75 to 150 milliseconds. This is referred to as the "transition" time. If the O2 sensor is taking significantly longer to reverse readings, this too is an indication that it is getting sluggish and may need to be replaced.

Observing the sensor's waveform on a scope is a good way to see whether or not it is slowing down with age. If the sensor becomes sluggish, it can create hesitation problems during sudden acceleration.

Heated Oxygen Sensors

To reduce the warm-up time of the Lambda sensor, an internal heating element may be used. Heated O2 sensors can reach an operating temperature of as high as 500 degrees C in as little as eight seconds! Shorter warm-up time means the system can go into closed loop fuel control sooner, which reduces emissions and improves fuel economy. Heating the sensor also means it can be located further downstream from the exhaust manifold.

WOW what an answer - cheers :thumbsup:

So what do you suggest the average person do?

How do you get this thing tested?

What are we talking about in terms of improve fuel economy?

Is this a DIY job?

What is the downside?

what we do is ,leave it well alone,and when you get the car mot tested the lamda readings will be shown to you via an emissions readout ,if its too high the car will fail the mot ,then you take it from there.

• 3 years later...

Is this "Lambda Sensor" you're discussing the same as what is referred to as the "O2 sensor" or "Oxygen sensor" by the inhabitants of our planet?

If so, do you also have 2 and how do you differentiate between them: "Lambda Sensor main" and "Lambda Sensor sub"?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links