Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

M25 Gantry Cameras

gkw33

Hi all,

On Friday (foolishly) I was overtaking a dodgy foreign articulated lorry weaving al the road on the M25. I got past him as quick as possible but suddenly ran into the markings on the fast lane under the gantries. The speed limit posted was 60, but I must have gone through at 71mph. I didn't see a flash - in fact I have never seen them flash. I know they are digital cameras and that not all gantries have cameras but I am in the safe?

Does anybody know if they use infra red, number plate reading technology etc?? God there are so many cameras on the roads now!

Thanks for any info - it may help to ease the 2 week wait for a letter!!

yes, on the M25 between the M3 and M1 they have the digital cameras.

In all honesty, they are only on every 4-8 gantries, but they are active (and as you mention, digital) and work from the posted limit.

Yes they emit a radar signal, my snooper used to pick them up, as for the flash i dont know..

However, if your speedo read 71mph, then you were likely to be doing about 65mph actual, and there is a chance that is below the cut-off..

all you can do is cross your fingers and wait..

Where abouts on the m25? as most of the camera's from j11-j15 are now set to 40mph due to the road works. And they are only the standard ones you see by the side of the road the gantry ones are not up yet as the gantrys are not powered :lol::lol:

if you where going southbound or coming up from j10 then you should be fine at 70 in the 60 zones :thumbsup: They are just normal flash camera's not these spec thingys :lol:

Where abouts where you mate?

Depends on what kind of camera they are... SPECs cameras... generally sit on gantrys at periodic distances and clock you on average through a particular stretch of road... if it was these, depending on your average speed you might be ok... average speed too high.. you are generally screwed.. as SPECs can pick up about 3 cars a second, and dont flash.

It was after the roadworks coming southbound - gantry cameras not gatso boxes. Interestingly my Tom Tom said I was doing 68mph. Although this is approximate as I overtook at 80mph and then hit the brakes when I saw the lines in the road!! My mistake - but an easy one to make.

It was after the roadworks coming southbound - gantry cameras not gatso boxes. Interestingly my Tom Tom said I was doing 68mph. Although this is approximate as I overtook at 80mph and then hit the brakes when I saw the lines in the road!! My mistake - but an easy one to make.

Youd should be ok then they DO FLASH I can assure you of that :rolleyes::rolleyes: I do that trip twice a day 5 times a week :lol::lol: I have done the same thing myself :D

I regularly commute on the M25 that stretch - and I have NEVER seen the gantry cameras flash. They certainly do along the roadworks. So I take it Yaris speedo is not accurate - certainly GPS Tom Tom says so.

yaris speedo is quite a way out so gives you a little bit of leway!

the roadworks ones definatley flash i watched somone speed through,

me and my mate came down the m25 from kent and at 1 point we was doing 160 it was early hours tho and we wasnt in my car lol

I regularly commute on the M25 that stretch - and I have NEVER seen the gantry cameras flash. They certainly do along the roadworks. So I take it Yaris speedo is not accurate - certainly GPS Tom Tom says so.

:lol::lol: well if they display 60 and you do let just say 85 for the sake of it ;) :rolleyes: they will flash at you :ph34r::ph34r:

The road works gatso ones do but then they are set at about 45 :( <_< ggrrr :censor: motorway

Also 160 on any motorway is stupid you should be banged up or at least be dead :ffs:

as i say that was about 3-4 months ago and it was about 3 in the morning and we was in my mates golf gti turbo we was on our way from immpossible performance in kent he did not get any fines or anything there are camera lines on the road after the bridges and it was too late when we passed them

The cameras are switched off when there is no limit posted - I regularly commute on that stretch and go 80-90 through the gantry cameras.

My point was that ordinary motorists are being penalised too heavily. Especially for new drivers 6 pts in 2yrs! But 160 mph - i havent much sympathy I'm afraid.

The cameras are switched off when there is no limit posted - I regularly commute on that stretch and go 80-90 through the gantry cameras.

My point was that ordinary motorists are being penalised too heavily. Especially for new drivers 6 pts in 2yrs! But 160 mph - i havent much sympathy I'm afraid.

I think someone's telling huge bulls. 15mph faster and you're in a Ferrari 355.

Speedo must be waaaay out as top speed on a Mk4 Golf would be no more than 150mph. And that's stretching it mega style! (unless mod's are present of course.)

well, from parkers, it states the top speed is 138, and even with mods, you'd need a lot to get to 150 (which could read 160 i suppose)

Unless of course, the speedo was in KPH, and he meant 160kph....

well, from parkers, it states the top speed is 138, and even with mods, you'd need a lot to get to 150 (which could read 160 i suppose)

Unless of course, the speedo was in KPH, and he meant 160kph....

.... which isn't very fast!

Yeah, bull sh*t im afraid. The Mk4 Golf will NOT do 160mph without a LOT of money and work being spent on it. Fact.

check out impossible performance website this golf has had the stage 6 conversion done plus a quaife 6 speed dogbox i have vids to proove what i am saying 30k has gone into this golf and its got a 50 bhp shot of nos

http://www.impossible-performance.cwc.net/abdracing.htm

here we go have a look! <_< its on latest parts

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links