Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driving With The Clutch Pressed Saves Fuel?

andru123

Let's say I drive down the the hill...

I press clutch and roll. Does it save fuel?

Another thing I noticed....

I drive quite fast, and see far away a red light. I release the gas pedal, the press clutch then let the car roll... until i am close at the traffic light. If it's still red, I break, if it's green I gas.

The strange thing:

When I look at the dynamic indicator of fuel consumtion (on the front panel), it shows:

- when clutch is pressed (car rolls) - ~3.5 liters/100km

- when clutch is released (braking with the engine) - 0 liters/100km

So when clutch is pressed the car consumes more fuel than when I break with the engine??? :o Or indicataor does not work properly then?

your observations are correct...

If you 'roll' your car in neutral, you are using fuel (of course you are, your engine is ticking over) but very little...

I have heard that if you leave it engaged in gear without any gas, then you use even less fuel..

It is because the injectors do not work when engine braking and there is no throttle applied.

When the engine RPM is higher than +/- 1400 RPM and the throttle position sensor is at zero the ECU shuts down the injector duty cycle (no fuel injected). As soon as either the TPS is above zero (=you pressing the throttle pedal) or the engine RPM is below +/-1400 RPM the ECU resumes the injector duty cycle. When you press the clutch the engine goes to tickover which is below +/-1400 RPM, so fuel is injected.

You can test this for yourself; engine brake when engine RPM is a good bit over 1400, then blip the throttle, you will see the fuel consumption rise, same when you let it go under 1400 RPM. Allow for a second or so of lag on the screen.

Yves.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links