Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tracking

gman rct

hi guys, handling has completley gone on my t-sport, anybody know how much i should be expecting to pay to get it done from mr T ?

Kwik-Fit charge £24.95. Its quite alot of money but theres other places that charge more than that

I wouldn't pay anymore than £15 .. and thats useing laser tracking guages.. a local garage would be your best bet.

My local garage charges £15 also, still not had time to get it done yet though! :(

you wanna sort it mate, lee managed to totally strip his tyres coz he didnt track it for two week, they were practically brand new and hes had to buy some more

Do you need to get the tracking done when you change the springs? ie. put lowering springs on?

YES!!! My brothers tyres went down to the wire in a month 'cos he never got them tracked! :!Removed!:

Muffster, I'm keeping an eye on mine, seems to be pretty even tyre wear so far but I'm gonna get them done anyway as soon as! :thumbsup:

****ers in sheffield put me a tire on my audi with a non inflated inertube inside a tubeless tyre, you can imagine what that did for the tracking and ballance. tried every thing ove a fortnight to sort it untill it was down to the wire and i replaced it only to find an tube inside.................. an expensive coulpe of weeks. i had my TS done at propper bo SELECTA TYRE. only because nowhere else could get it on the ramp or get the guages on. cost bout £20. also check you tyre pressures as tracking tends to putt to one side not effect handling.

YES!!! My brothers tyres went down to the wire in a month 'cos he never got them tracked! :!Removed!:

So I'd need to get it done even with TTE Springs??

Probably not, but better safe than sorry, they wont charge you if it doesnt need doing, you can usally tell, if you brush your fingers along the tyre, and its smooth it doesnt need tracking.. in extreme cases the steering will pull to one side (or all over) and you need to get it tracked asap, tyre wears out 90% quicker or something daft

I would say you do mate, definately! :thumbsup:

I mean what would you rather do, pay £15 to get your wheels aligned or £150 for 2 new tyres, the choice is your's! :thumbsup:

If the suspension setup on ANY car gets interfered with it will upset the tracking.. it will can also change what the settings should be... for instance (these settings are just to show you.as i havn't got the charts at home)

Say the Yaris should have a toe setting of -1.. this setting is for the standard setup. If the suspension gets changed to a different brand, then this setting can change so say +2, so .. this creates another problem.. the standard tracking settings could be useless.. so what do you do?. Well the best way is to set the Geometrics on the car , the guages that do this are different from tracking guages.. and they will find out what the new settings (if any) should be.

My recomendation to ANYONE who lowers their car is to get the Geometrics settings corrected.. costs a bit more, but can save you money on Tyres in the long run.)

****ers in sheffield put me a tire on my audi with a non inflated inertube inside a tubeless tyre, you can imagine what that did for the tracking and ballance

This wouldn't affect the tracking in anyway watsoever.. but it would affect the balance.

Probably not, but better safe than sorry, they wont charge you if it doesnt need doing, you can usally tell, if you brush your fingers along the tyre, and its smooth it doesnt need tracking.. in extreme cases the steering will pull to one side (or all over) and you need to get it tracked asap, tyre wears out 90% quicker or something daft

Running your fingers over the surface of tyre won't tell you if the tracking is out.. but i know what Moffmo means.. when you run your finger over a tyre and feel what i call Scaling.. a very uneven surface (smooth one way and VERY rough the other) this tends to indicate a more serious problem than tracking.. most commonly a suspension fault (balljoint or someting.. too many to mention)

One of the easiest ways to tell if your tracking is out is if the steering wheel sits slightly off centre, the car won't neccesary pull... pulling to one side can also be an indication that the tracking is out... as does tyre wear... but with tyre wear it's also worth remembering that a car with power steering will wear the front tyres on the outer edge (very slightly) more so on the passenger side.. as we turn right more often than we turn left (roundabouts are a nightmare ;p)

Ultimately, and this is my professional avice, if for any reason you suspect your tracking is out, get it checked professionaly, if you have changed the suspension.. get the geometrics checked.. even if the car doesn't have castor or camber adjustments.. the tracking settings may have changed due to the new setup.

Sorry this post was long winded, but some of the other advice wasn't fully accurate. i am not critising anyone.. and i am sorry if i offended anyone, i have been in the tyre trade for 15 years and i too am still learning. So no doubt there will be somethimng i have not mentioned lol..

Davy

Well the best way is to set the Geometrics on the car , the guages that do this are different from tracking guages.. and they will find out what the new settings (if any) should be.

My recomendation to ANYONE who lowers their car is to get the Geometrics settings corrected.. costs a bit more, but can save you money on Tyres in the long run.)

Does any normal garage do this or what? iv never even heard of it :help:

Well the best way is to set the Geometrics on the car , the guages that do this are different from tracking guages.. and they will find out what the new settings (if any) should be.

Does any normal garage do this or what? iv never even heard of it :help:

Not all garages do this :( and a dealer can charge around 90 quid (IF they do it) best place to ask could be an Audi dealership.. as Audi's have castor and camber settings.. if that particular dealer don't do it.. the may know of a garage that does.

had a little search on google ... found this on http://www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk/servicing.html

4-wheel fast road / track geometry set-up

track geometry set-up

There's nothing wrong with factory / dealer settings - you can just improve them a little! In Group N rallying, you have to extract the maximum performance from essentially a showroom car. This is where precise geometry settings can help considerably - improving road-holding, dialling out tramlining under braking and generally optimising handling. Essential for track days and an all-round driving improvement. This set up is what our service customers - having experienced the difference in our own Impreza - usually demand. Come and see us so we can set your car up the same way.

Most people who get new suspension get a racing suspension... hence why i said get the geometrics done.

Will try to find more info on the net for you.

Edit: Found this.. http://www.crcc.org.uk/carclinc.htm

It's the castor and camber angles that can change when new suspension is added.. which makes (in some cases) the standard tracking settings useless. Setting the Geometry of the car corrects this.

Hope you find this of use :thumbsup:

audi charge a ***** load for camber etc calibration. they wanted about £240 to do my a4............ ****ers.

That is A COMPLETE RIP OFF,, they charge 90 quid up here... but other independant garages charge around 50 quid

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links