Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lift Bolts On Cts

CraigR

if the bolts break, will i hear a "knocking" or "ticking" at all? i hit lift one day and then my motor started making a noise...its barely noticeable at idle, however when i accelerate, it becomes more predominant. any help is appreciated...thanks

If the Lift bolts break then Lift won't engage when you hit 6.2k rpm

Can you still get Lift?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraigR

• T128

• bec-tsport

• Norfolk n Chance

seen as my CTS has just hit 100k miles i thought i should have a look at changing these bolts as i have no record of any previous owners swapping them out.

Can anyone recommend a guide for doing it or am i better taking to a garage? i have basic skills, can change brake discs and pads etc and clean MAF..should i be able to handl ethis one?

There is a guide on here somewhere... will try and find it later (unless someone beats me to it)

If you're not sure about them there's a meet on 31st at the Trafford Centre, happy to help do them there if you want.

Deffo don't go to a garage, 1 they won't know what you're talking about, 2 they'll charge you stupid money - one member was quoted 3hrs labour (it can be done inside 20mins)

:thumbsup:

I have an 05 facelift with 30k on do I need to change mine

Probably not, but as its so easy to do you could do it for peace of mind

Just read through all this, I have a 56 plate compressor with 30k on the clock and I have lost my lift altogether along with a very noisey engine! Where can I get these bolts from? I'm confident that I can change them myself, if this does not cure the problem any other ideas of what could have cause me to loose lift?

Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

How easy is easy?

The most advanced thing I've ever done on a car was change the oil and fit a rear anti roll bar

Very easy. just take the engine cover off, 3 bolts i think, then the rocker cover, about 8 bolts, then you see the two lift bolts at the right hand side (as you look at the engine, the washer bottle side)

Just read through all this, I have a 56 plate compressor with 30k on the clock and I have lost my lift altogether along with a very noisey engine! Where can I get these bolts from? I'm confident that I can change them myself, if this does not cure the problem any other ideas of what could have cause me to loose lift?

Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Not sure with the comp, but with the tsport the engine has to be up to temp for lift to work

you can get the bolts through Toyota, part number is in this thread somewhere, about 80p each.

if it is the lift bolts that have snapped (which i very much doubt) there will be a fair bit more damage than just changing the bolts will solve, the end of the bolt will need to be removed from the engine etc..

have you checked the engine oil level?

the guide at the start of this thread explains how lift works, that may help you find the problem

Engine oil is spot on check it religiously, this is why I'm a bit sucked off I don't skimp on anything! But after reading this thread and it doesn't cost the earth to do it I want to get it done!

Thanks for the help!

Tom

Engine oil is spot on check it religiously, this is why I'm a bit sucked off I don't skimp on anything! But after reading this thread and it doesn't cost the earth to do it I want to get it done!

Thanks for the help!

Tom

i take it you've checked the supercharger oil?

any more details on your problem mate, just so we can troublshoot a bit more, because i can say that i'm pretty sure it won't be your lift bolts...

I'm same with my supercharger oil too get a bit paranoid about it! It sounds like it's coming from the top of the engine but just can't put my finger on what it is!

I'm same with my supercharger oil too get a bit paranoid about it! It sounds like it's coming from the top of the engine but just can't put my finger on what it is!

You dont feel lift half as much in the comp because of the sc anyway to be fair. If it's lift bolts you would know about it, and all sorts of lights would be on dash.

Anyone going to the massic NW Jap meet this sunday at tarfford, and fancy having a bolt changing session?

what are people moaning about, I'd like to thank CraigR for the post its not as if its a very technical job to check.

I'll be checking these out at the weekend

Cheers

Lee

I'll be at the Trafford meet, happy to help with any Lift bolt changes

I'll be at the Trafford meet, happy to help with any Lift bolt changes

Ace, what time are you getting there and how long will process take? I will loan my brothers tool kit, although its missing a 10mm socket, which just so happens to be one of the more popular socket sizes :(

it's a 20 min job tops (unless you start snapping bolts of course) and if memory serves me you definitely need a long 10 for the job, so you may well be screwed there Chris.

it's a 20 min job tops (unless you start snapping bolts of course) and if memory serves me you definitely need a long 10 for the job, so you may well be screwed there Chris.

... exactly why were going to miss you on the forum marc! I have got the long ten socket, just not the short one. Lost it ages ago messing around mith bikes lol

Dont Panic.

I have just taken my CTS in to my Local dealer, Western Toyota in Edinburgh and asked them to have a look in to this problem.

The foreman Mechanic had a look through this thread and said pretty much that there are no problems of any kind with the engine and that it is bullet proof, i wnet away happy enough with that answer as they have always been straight with me.

however i get a call later saying that he had a good look in to it and the Celica engines pre 2000 loosing power through these bolts was the only reference to this problem and that the bolts had been redesigned and in no way could effect the CTS or any Celica using the 190 engine and can only assume that this covers all other cars i.e. Matrix, maybe if you have one of the very first Celica 190's i would check with your dealer.

Later that day i get a call again booking my car in because this was totaly bugging him, sure enough the next day i have been pressented with two bolts one brand new and one bolt done 55k only difference was some very slight marks on the bolt and i mean these were like a tiny scratch in the coating, he then said that you can 100% be sure that this engine will last 100k and beyond even stating that easily reaching 150k with routine servicing.

All i can say is dont waste your time with this people, i felt pretty foolish and now have total faith in toyota again, was just woried as my waranty was up, if you feel you need to clarify this i would ask your local dealer i cant vouch for every dealer but would say i got an excellent service from mine.

Cheers :thumbsup:

I have to agree with you, I think people are making too much fuss about this.

I think for normal drivers the revised bolts are never going to wear down,

I don't have much of a chance to use lift: sometimes when overtaking, or acceleration on motorway, where u cannot even hit lift in 3rd without breaking the 70MPH speed limit.

Not sure about people using lift all the time, you must always be on a racetrack, or live in Germany, or cruising in 2/3rd on the motorway?

Is hard to image that some people are always in lift.

5 years ago the CTS had only been out 3 years so obviously a Toyota mechanic would say he'd heard of no issues...

Until you examine your Lift bolts you cannot make a valid judgement on this.

Yes it differs between cars... but on all the ones i've seen where they've been changed, they're all showing signs of wear.

For the £1.40ish it costs for 2 Lift bolts it's well worth doing.

I'd rather that than the hassle of tryinig to get the bolts out if they snapped...

• 2 years later...

hello I managed to change one of my lift bolts today, the one near the front is broken so half of it is stuck inside. Lift still works fine but I need to get the other half of the bolt taken out so I can replace it.

any idea on how I can remove the broken bolt without damaging the threads on the head?

This might not work if depending on how far down the bolt has broke but its probably worth poping to B&Q/Screwfix and buying the smallest bolt extractor you can find and a small drill bit to match. If you careful enough you should be able to slowly drill a hole in the centre of the bolt and screw the bolt extractor in manually.

If the lift bolt aint cross threaded it should come out fairly easy once the extractor has taken hold.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links