Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Something Old, Something New, Something...

MrWinkey

Svenne: What's the difference between the old and the new 1,3? Something I should care about when bying it?

This is a Quote robbed from Svenne's post asking how you tell what engine a Yaris has in it. (i assume just incase the owner is trying to pass of a 1.0 as a 1.3)

So, what is the difference between the old 1.3 and the new 1.3?

Ours is a '51 plate registered in '02, so i assume it is phase 1, so what is the dif between that and the phase 2?

Mainly styling I believe Mr Winkey....

I have a phase 1..... infact Yaz was one of the very first 1.3l Yaris off production in Japan back in 1999.

I know that the phase 2 have teardrop headlights as a major viewable styling change... but I havent really looked much further than that.

I will have to get some nice piccies of her once she is clean (has had about 4 Motorways of crap on it just this weekend! travelling to castleford and back, to Manc airport n back and then to blackpool n back :P)

From Mr T

Three petrol engines are offered across the Yaris range, a 1.0-litre, 1.3-litre and 1.5-litre - all featuring variable valve timing. The 1.3 is an all-new engine, derived from the 1.0 block and is more powerful and economical than the 1.3 it replaces. All petrol engines meet the upcoming Euro IV requirements by using new piston designs, a revised exhaust manifold and catalytic converter and new programming of the ECU. The 1.4 common-rail D-4D diesel is Toyota's most fuel-efficient engine, returning 64.2mpg on the combined cycle, and is also found in the new MINI One Diesel. The Verso only receives the 1.3 petrol and 1.4 D-4D diesel powerplants.

Travelling to Cas and back, you sound like my gals Bro. His bird lives in Cas and he is alwasy traveling there. He has put some seriouse milage on his car.

Someone suggested the engines are different between the Phase 1 and 2.

As for styling, ours is an SR and i think they are the best lookin anyway (even compared tot he t-sport)

Which basically means they are the Dogs, because the ECU in the Phase one is pretty cool, to improve it some more is just getting into seriously nice levels!

And that, dear folks, is why we all love Mr T's gleaming automobiles!

So whats the dif in performance then?

More economy?

More Torque?

More Speed?

How do the little tweeks stack up on the road?

So whats the dif in performance then?

More economy?

More Torque?

More Speed?

How do the little tweeks stack up on the road?

Although all are a yes (just) ... it equates to this at the wheels, or on the road:

Economy, instead of say 40mpg, you get 42mpg (i get 28mpg... cos i drive properly! :thumbsup: )

Torque is about 1 extra Nm... so at the wheels is nothing. Speed i think is up from 109mph, to 109.1mph. 0-60mph is the same.

Why is this i hear you say?? Well... the fact is that the phase 2 is heavier! More safety bits, engine is actually heavier and various other bits contribute to the new engine sounding brilliant but it actually translates to nothing on the road.

Also, the 1.3 phase one is !Removed! quick to start with if you use it properly... same for 1.0l actually.

Seveer,

thats cool, i will take that as the definative answer then mate. Cheers.

Ps. i wish some one could teach Gem to drive it "Properly". She never lets it go above 3k, so it moves very slowly indeed.

As for styling, ours is an SR and i think they are the best lookin anyway (even compared tot he t-sport)

YYYYYYYYEESS! :thumbsup:

shame about the lack of performance

SR's are coooooowell

CB :thumbsup:

I heard the "new" 1.3 was an "all-new" engine - well thats what the Toyota guy who sold me Karis told me!

Generally speaking though - I wouldnt imagine them to be much different - they are both Toyota engines, which makes them both as good as each other IMO! :thumbsup:

OLD: Toyota Yaris (99 on) 1.3 16v VVT-i SR 3d List Price When Sold: £10,513

Engine Size: 1299 cc

Cylinders: 4

0-60 mph: 11.7 s

Power Output: 86 bhp

Valves: 16

Torque: 124 Nm

Torque: 91 lb/ft

Top Speed: 109 mph

NEW: Toyota Yaris (99 on) 1.3 VVT-i T3 3d List Price: £8895

Engine Size: 1298 cc

0-60 mph: 11.7 s

Power Output: 86 bhp

Torque: 122 Nm

Top Speed: 109 mph

And for anyone who cares...

Toyota Yaris (99 on) 1.0 VVT-i T3 3d List Price: £8595

Engine Size: 998 cc

0-60 mph: 13.2 s

Power Output: 64 bhp

Torque: 90 Nm

Top Speed: 96 mph

And there ya go - For an extra 400 notes i'd go for the 1.3 anyday!

So then,

the only real dif between the T3 and the SR, is the rest of the car. he he.

Stiffer shocks, looks more sporty etc?

Thats a lot more money to pay for a bit of body styling, what other difs are there?

Think that could be wrong... the T3 came out in 2003, not 1999!

The SR has this added:

Sports Suspension

Spoiler

alloys (exclusive ones!)

Air Con

Exclusive upholstry

Leather wheel and gear nob

Also, the Phase one looks better! I'd pay a premium for that!!!

Um... The alloys aren't really exclusive. The Colour Collection Silver had the same ones but the centre cap was (I think) blank - anyhow, it didn't have the "SR" script on it.

The Silver was a Phase 1 runout model, so I don't know how well it sold or anything. It was available in 1.0 and 1.3 petrol. I looked at changing "#1" for one when they came out.

Aaaaah! The joy of specs... ( :crybaby: )

A

Think that could be wrong... the T3 came out in 2003, not 1999!

The SR has this added:

Sports Suspension

Spoiler

Alloys (exclusive ones!)

Air Con

Exclusive upholstry

Leather wheel and gear nob

Also, the Phase one looks better! I'd pay a premium for that!!!

No seveer. Just says that because its the entire range as it stands at the minute, they all come under the same "Yaris" header on Parkers

my 2003 phase 1 yaris colour collection had the sr wheels as standard when i bought it brand new :P

The SR has this added:

Alloys (exclusive ones!)

my 2003 phase 1 yaris colour collection had the sr wheels as standard when i bought it brand new :P

The SR has this added:

Alloys (exclusive ones!)

Did it have the Exclusive SR decal in the centre of the wheel though Danny, that's the difference!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links