Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Insurance And Something To Be Aware Of.......

MJG

Jan aquired a nice MX-5 a couple of weeks ago and we are really happy with it.

Last Sunday I got the urge to clean out the garage so that we could get one of our cars in.......as the MX-5 is a soft top this won the toss to be able to be tucked up at night.

Yesterday I thought....hang on this should make a difference to Jan's insurance premium so I rang her insurers (Direct Line) to explain her vehicle was now garaged overnight and asked how much of a reduction we could expect in her premium.....the answer.....

Zilch.....diddly squat......

It seems it does not reduce the risk to a soft top previously parked on the drive by ensuring it is securely locked in an alarmed (linked to our house alarm) garage.

The result....left the cover as it is as..............you bet your bottom dollar if it ever is left on the drive and something happens to it and during the claims process it came out it should have been in the garage they will wriggle out of the claim faster than a rat up a drain pipe..I ain't giving them the excuse.....

Strange that i did same thing with my last car,was always parked on

drive as we had 2cars,when other half sold his car i got the garage :D

i was insured with norwich union it made a difference to my premium when i renewed my insurance.

can't remember how much but it did go down think it was around £100cheaper

Its rare for a policy to have a "vehicle must be garaged clause in it" I think..I have seen policies at work where the underwriters will apply an additional excess to a theft/break in claim if the veh wasnt garaged, but this doesnt mean it wont be covered..

Did you get the name of the person you spoke to? I'm also pretty sure that Directline's calls are recorded so if there was any problems that arose the call could probably be listened too

surely it would make it cheaper!!? because its cheaper if you state your car is parked on the drive rather than on the road. so surely it would be cheaper if it was in a garage!! weird!

I guess it just depends what insurance company you are with mate. :thumbsup:

At one point we had three cars insured as garaged :S

an old girlfriends dad had a cossie his insurance was more expensive if it was garaged. their reasoning was that if the car was in a garage it would give potential theives more time and "cover" to nick it than if it was parked on the road!! this was in 1995 though!

Makes no diffrence if i park my car in the garage or on the drive...

No I found that out when I asked - Tesco wouldnt change the quote - even though it'd be "safer" perhaps in a garage.....

Although drive is safer than street - no chance of it being knocked by another car I guess.

Rich used to park his car on the road, until he got his tyres slashed - since its been on the drive with mine - we've had no problems..... (touch wood!)

Insurance companies work more on price to repair, and likelyness to crash as opposed to nickability... (unless you live in essex and drive a "cossie")

I found out the other day out of three basic ratings by post code (A,B,C) my house isa "B" rating... even thou there are only to houses IN my postcode... and there has never beena car crime ever!!!!

madness!

the fact that my cars are in an alarmed garage, behine eletric gates, security lights, anda CCTV system do not affect anything at all... might as well leave it on the street in reading town centre....

thing is mate we get a lot of abandoned cars our way we had 2 on farm last week think this affects things a bit

thing i lik ewith my insurance is the how many vehicles do i have access to answer is 8 ok 7 are tractors and ones a landy but they seem to lik ethat answer

Yesterday I thought....hang on this should make a difference to Jan's insurance premium so I rang her insurers (Direct Line) to explain her vehicle was now garaged overnight and asked how much of a reduction we could expect in her premium.....the answer.....Zilch.....diddly squat......

Strange that - I used to have a Direct Line policy on a SLC a few years ago and ISTR that there was about 20 quid reduction in premium if I kept it in the garage overnight.

Did they actually say it wouldn't reduce the premium when you come to renew the policy or was it just that you were expecting some sort of refund? Most insurance companies charge you an admin fee if you make a change to your policy mid-term so maybe this cancelled out the reduction in your premium.

I found out the other day out of three basic ratings by post code (A,B,C) my house isa  "B" rating... even thou there are only to houses IN my postcode... and there has never beena  car crime ever!!!!

There's a list on the 'net somewhere which lists all postcodes and shows what risk group they are in - I'll see if I can track it down again.

Sometimes a nice area is treat as a higher risk because it borders on a bad area. etc.

Yup, thats hte list I saw.. I'm group B.

Ed "number of cars you have access to" does not help either!!!!

Well I'm in group D* whatever that means! My previous address was an A (with my parents) My insurance went up £50 for the year when I moved, but I only had a month left on the policy so they only charged me a fiver to move!

So it doesn't look like there is too much difference between the areas. I think Age was a bigger factor. Maybe as I get older the differnce between areas would be greater??

Fmrl! I was about to ask for such a link!

Thing is we used to be BS15, but they changed it to BS30 a few years ago. But both codes still work. So I dont know what I am!

ALso Norwich knock off £40 off my quote from driveway to garage...

Was thinking though... would they ever... ever... ever check? I guess the only problem would be if the car was broken into, but then you can say it happened while at work or something?

Thing is we used to be BS15, but they changed it to BS30 a few years ago. But both codes still work. So I dont know what I am!

We're still a group C whichever way you look at it :thumbsup:

(Im a BS30/BS15 person too!)

Yes... I cracked that Rach.

And I just realised the fact that we are the same no matter what! Im just stupid okay :(

That postcode checker is a useful tool!

I was B living at home and I'm still B! :D Although they still put my insurance up when we moved - said it was higher risk.... ???

Boogers! :angry:

:o My cars parked on the street and my postcode is an E rating!! :o

Never had any problems with car break-in's on this road though :)

:eek:  postcode 'E' < < goes to check car is still on the drive > >

:) postcode 'A' << goes to check keys are still in ignition >> :lol::lol:

them postcodes are a load of toss, where im living now is a d* and home is a e*

what a load of toss!!

home can be bad, but we never had any problems as we live next to a bad area, but here?? heard it was bad, but again i live in a cul de sac, a person walking in would be noticed, and its very hidden away, postcodes are NOT the way to work this out! :o

Karma Supra, i reckon you should get insurance reps round to your house and show them your security, and the fact that only two houses are in that postcode and you live in a chuffing wood and crime is non existant, i mean when was the last time a bloke went into a wood to look for cars to nick??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links