Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hi Guys - First Celica And Loving It!

celsteve

Hi all, I bought a '95 2.0 GT st202 which has recently been imported fom Japan. It is in excellent condition and has done 48000 miles. It has the super strut suspension (so it tells me on the rear windscreen) and everything seems to be original (I love the mats!). I paid £3450 for it which included a new Battery and the limiter being taken off it. I love my new car!!! It is in silver and looks very stylish, I will be tsking some photos of it soon and will post some.

However, i do have some questions which have probably been answered before but I am still not sure about the bhp, what fuel to use (super unleaded?), what oil, what the econ button does next to c/c and I would appreciate any information you can give me.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Well done on your new purchase :) , do you know which engine model you have bought. They never made the GT in Japan, it went by its SS number, look on your chassis plate for a model number,this should then tie up with one of the list below :yes:

SS-I

Engine model = 3S.FE

0-60 = 8.5 sec.

Power = 138BHP

Model number on VIN for Manual-------- E-ST202-BLMGK

Model number on VIN for Automatic------E-ST202-BLPGK

SS-I FWS (four wheel steer)

Engine model = 3S.FE

0-60 = 8.5 sec.

Power = 138BHP

Model number on VIN for Manual----------E-ST203-BLMVF

Model number on VIN for Automatic------E-ST203-BLPGK

SS-II

Engine Model = 3S-GE

0-60= 7.5 Sec.

Power = Manual 177.5BHP, Automatic 167.6 BHP,

Model number on VIN for Manual---------E-ST202-BLMVF

Model number on VIN for Automatic-----E-ST202-BLPVF

SS-III

Early Models: Pre 1997/1998

Model number on VIN for Manual---------E-ST202-BLMZF

Model number on VIN for Automatic------E-ST202-BLPZF

Hi,

I have just been looking and it is the 3sge. Umm, does this mean that if I am insured for a Gt, then I will NOT be insured. I haven't told insurance company it is an import!! *****, hope this is not the case, i have heard of imports being more expensive to insure.

From the sound of it your insurance would be null and void. If you ever had a crash they would not pay out. It is basically the same as not having insurance at all. :eek:

You need to tell your insurance company ASAP that it is an Import, hopefully they can sort it out, but some companies may refuse completely.

They should have checked what the car was from the Reg number so hopefully they already know it's an import and have just covered it as the closest thing on their database.

Maleborn reports that Norich union will treat imports as UK cars if they are on there database.

As for fuel, I am no expert but from what I have read you need to run it on Optimax really as it will be set up for 100RON fuel. (Optimax is closest at 98RON)

From the sound of it your insurance would be null and void. If you ever had a crash they would not pay out. It is basically the same as not having insurance at all. :eek:

You need to tell your insurance company ASAP that it is an Import, hopefully they can sort it out, but some companies may refuse completely.

They should have checked what the car was from the Reg number so hopefully they already know it's an import and have just covered it as the closest thing on their database.

Maleborn reports that Norich union will treat imports as UK cars if they are on there database.

As for fuel, I am no expert but from what I have read you need to run it on Optimax really as it will be set up for 100RON fuel. (Optimax is closest at 98RON)

Whoops, what happened there?

Anyway, I had better check it out with Direct Line. Nobody tells you about these things, it was sold to me as a GT and DL didn't give me any more options.

Thanks

they were probably being lazy.

when they put your reg in it should have told them it was unrecognised, or an import.

I would ring them to be on the safe side - make out that your ubiked with them for not telling you :thumbsup:

make out that your ubiked with them for not telling you :thumbsup:

I will certainly do that, but my blooming phone's batteries are dead. Will have to wait until later, just hope I don't crash before then. Well, ever, actually!!

fingers crossed that they just say - don't worry that's fine we'll alter the policy and it won't cost you a penny! :thumbsup:

Let us know how you get on - it would be interesting to see the result. Did you do it on the phone or over the internet?

:D

Thanks and I'll let you know. Might go and see if my phone's recharged. Oh and it was done over the phone, I have been with them for 6 years so maybe they will treat me well - right, like they care.

:D :D :D Sorted. Told the prat at DL who answered the phone whilst stuffing his face with a sandwich or similar that it was an import and it was called a ss-11 in Japan and I think he put it down as a GTR - Anyway, I have told them and it has not affected my policy! :thumbsup:

glad it's sorted, cheers sotal, you are a wizard :hokus-pokus:

Thanks for pointing it out and I've just found a Shell garage that does optimax a couple of miles away. :D Never know, might get a couple more hp out of it?! Be able to crash in style then !Actually, I'm quite happy with it how it is :)

insuring a 1995 gt as a gtr is pure madness as its a totally different car.the gtr ceased production around october 1993 and was gen 5 pop up headlights.you really need to do it right if i were you. if it has got super strut the power will be 180 ps (132.39 kw) / 7000 rpm and it needs to run on optimax at all times as should all imports. :thumbsup:

if it has got super strut you best keep some money aside as its gonna cost you at least £ 300 plus fitting per side.if and when it fails , super strut acts as the steering as well as the suspension.

Glad you got your insurance sorted out :) , as others have said, its still not a GTR, that was a generation 5 celica, you have a generation 6 ;) , but at least its covered as an import :D .

Yeah, not sure why they've done that, but I've told them all the correct details - maybe I'll give them a ring to double-check.

Thanks for making me feel welcome into the club, it's great to know that there are others out there who will gladly share their knowledge with you and offer advice. Maybe I'll be able to return the favour one day!

As for the ss suspension, I had a feeling It would be expensive but i think it is worth it as it does handle superbly - I can chuck it around the bendy country lanes and it just glues to the road. . Having said that I haven't drove a Celica without it so maybe reverting to standard suspension after it's knackered would be an option, or do you think I would be dissapointed after having the ss?

Oh, and I'm the first to admit I know how to drive a car but that's about it - I have never had a car that I have needed to or wanted to know about and my knowledge is very limited. so what is the ps, is that the hp ? Should I feel stupid?? :wacko:

180 ps is around 174 bhp

177.5bhp actually and the HALF does count :D

Just like that extra 1/4 inch does aswell!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

it sure will when you have only 5" to begin with . :lol::lol::lol::lol:

<_< maleborn is such an optimist dont worry about your celica and its reliability its been through an SVA test which is about 10 times more stringent than the normal mot

i have had mine 3 years and apart from a new clutch and timing belt(get it REPLACED ASAP) its flown through every mot and has been the most reliable car ive owned!! and ive owned a few!!

me an optimist, no , im a saggitarian :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links