Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any Plumbers Out There?!?

nrgizerbunny

Hi all,

Our boiler has decided to pack up and my dad wants a new one. We were watching "this old house" on discovery and now he wants a Viessmann boiler.

Anyway upshot is I have to fit one, is it hard? I have plenty of experience in diy but was unsure:

1. a which type i should get, the current system is one where you flick a switch wait an hour and the hot water heats up - this is what we want, is it conventional or combi?

2. is it a pain to fit? or is it just a question of pulling the old boiler off, connnecting hte pipes and thats it?

3. do i have to be corgi registered. on the internet it just said it must be fitted by a competent person, i suppose corgi registered is competent but i'd say i was too. Being an engineer and all that! :D

any help gratefully accepted.

thanks

sanj

Think you'll fid that it's mainly combi-boilers now (instant hot water)

Just had my system serviced today and it's the old conventional one that uses a header tank. I remember moving it myself from one wall to another without any real problem (i'm not corgi registered(not even a plumber :P )

The systems about 25years old now and everytime the gas board comes round it's the old sharp intake of breath and "you won't get parts for these mate", I think that's always a stock answer when they want to fit you a new system in for about 2-3 grand, i'm not expecting it to last forever but i'm sure I could slap one of those combies in when it does go. So if you're a reasonably competant DIY'er give it a go, but get it checked out after (you don't want to blow the street up)

We wanted a viessman boiler but struggled to get someone to fit it. In the end we got another combination boiler, its pretty neat as it has thermometers here there and everywhere making sure its using as little energy as possible to keep the temperature inside constant.

Thats all I can help you with im afraid..... apart from there are alot more pipes than before lol

The Plumbing side of it is very straight forward. It's easy to spot drips and leaks, but I would recommend using a Corgi registered guy to connect the gas up . ( if only for peace of mind ! )

Rich

I would recommend using a Corgi registered guy to connect the gas up . ( if only for peace of mind ! )

Rich

Nah!

Turn the gas on then check each sweated joint with a lighted match, if you get a small blue flame, re-solder, if you get a large yellow flame, carry out the same proceedure, if the resulting explosion blows out the match------Then get a Corgi registered installer! :thumbsup::lol:

Hi mate all new boilers fitted now have to be condensing to comform to the new regulations for energy effiency.

And no you should not pipe up your own gas all gas must be fitted by a Corgi registered plumber or a heating engineer.

hiya,

I know that all boilers have to be condensing, i wasn't sure if i should go for the instant hot water type or not as water pressure round here is low, so was going to go for the header tank option.

I found this link to the corgi website

http://www.corgi-gas-safety.com/section_gas_law/the_law.asp

it says that if you fit gas stuff for a living you have to be competent. then it goes on to say:

"Only a competent person can carry out work on gas appliances or fittings. Do-it-yourself work on gas appliances or fittings could be dangerous and is likely to be illegal."

Is that designed to scare munger people into spending shed loads on a corgi gas bloke. they appear to be able to charge what they like at the moment because there is a shortage.

I don't really understand why if i do a DIY job it would be illegal, if i solder the pipes etc and there are no leaks - could anyone tell!

GREY AREA!

It'll probably fall under the same area as the new laws stating that people can no longer do their own electrics in their home!

Thank you very much MR blair, but I believe I know how to wire a swtich up thank you all the same....

If you do it yourself without proper certification and training then it's construed as dangerous practice. ALSO, if you do it yourself and there's a leak you won't have the test gear to check the joints with properly. Gas smells travel fast, it's hard to determine where the leak is from without the proper equipment.

If you blow your house up then the insurance won't pay you a penny !

If a Corgi guy blows your house up then they are liable, and you WILL be financially protected ( and can sue them if you want ! )

connecting a boiler that's already mounted and plumbed in won't be more than an hour's labour anyway.

hiya,

I know that all boilers have to be condensing, i wasn't sure if i should go for the instant hot water type or not as water pressure round here is low, so was going to go for the header tank option.

I found this link to the corgi website

http://www.corgi-gas-safety.com/section_gas_law/the_law.asp

it says that if you fit gas stuff for a living you have to be competent. then it goes on to say:

"Only a competent person can carry out work on gas appliances or fittings. Do-it-yourself work on gas appliances or fittings could be dangerous and is likely to be illegal."

Is that designed to scare munger people into spending shed loads on a corgi gas bloke. they appear to be able to charge what they like at the moment because there is a shortage.

I don't really understand why if i do a DIY job it would be illegal, if i solder the pipes etc and there are no leaks - could anyone tell!

GREY AREA!

I dont touch gas i mainly do unvented systems.

Ok the new laws are if you have new gas work fitted you will have to do a drop test on it to find if it is leaking.

I know what your thinking (if it leaks i'll smell it) not if you get a mirco leak.

A mirco leak is so small you wont notice it for hours but at night it could build up you get up to go to the loo in the night turn on the light BOOM.

So no their not scare mungering gas is very dangarous.

Also all new boilers will have a Benchmark card with them and this need to be filled out and it will ask for a the corgi registation number of the plumber of heating engineer who fitted it.

Fine you could fit it all yourself do a good job but your breaking the law now if you do and if the worst happend and you blew your house up your neighbours could sue you and the council will sue you and your insurance compamy wont pay out .

Also if you come to sell the house you will need to admit the benchmark certifficate or have the boiler tested and if you have done it wrong you wont be able o complete until the work is done.

Not trying to scare you mate but unless you really know waht your doing dont even attempt it its not easy trust me im a plumber for a college and i dont even touch the gas there and dont want to either to much legislation and regluations.

My Dad works for British Gas, is Corgi Registered and knows his stuff about boilers...so when he gets in I'll ask him for you tonight..he's often mentioning combination boilers when he's on the phone to people who want him to sort our their heating/boilers etc...

I also know that you should only get someone who is fully trained and qualified..he has to go through loads of exams for what he does, and there is a lot of stuff to know. He's sorted out a few people who installed boilers themselves in the past and it's just not a good idea.

Blue

thanks for all the help everyone.

I phoned up corgi and they seem to employ a load of planks. I even got conflicting answers from them. They said provided its your own home and you get someone who is registered to come and check its okay?!?

Then the guy at the other end started rabbiting on about how i was taking livelihood away from those registered corgi installers and stuff!

i think there msut be a bit of friction between those who are registered and those who aren't!

just a couple more questions, does anyone know where i can get a viessmann boiler from? I phoned up plumbcentre b and q and focus and they said "sorry sir would you like a glo worm one instead". Also seems like nobody wants to fit them. also is a viessmann any good and if i can't get one does anyone recommend a different one?

I think i'll just stick the boiler up on the wall and get someone corgi registered to connect the gas up. that way i comply with all the building regs.

I've just asked my Dad about them, I had to spell out the name and his reply was "I know a tiny bit about them, but they arent well known at all".

In other words = he doesnt know about them and he's been doing the job for years

thanks for all the help everyone.

I think i'll just stick the boiler up on the wall and get someone corgi registered to connect the gas up. that way i comply with all the building regs.

Be careful where you place the outside flue, there are regulations as to the distances from adjacent buildings and maximum/minimum distances from the corner of a building. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links