Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starlet Wheel Offset ?

daddiesgirl

I have just bought a set of 6x15 alloys, But my Dad has asked me to ask you Guys if they will be a problem as the offset is 45 as he says original is 38 on the 13" rims.

All to techie for me, I justt want it to look as well as it drives.

Thanks a lot

Natalie

it doesn't matter what size the rims are (in terms of 13", 14" etc), the standard offset is still 38mm, I actually think someone said it was 35mm before but 38/35 will fit.

45mm will fit too but if your wheels stick out further than your arches then you will fail an mot - thats if they pick up on it. the only other thing i can think of is your steering might become heavier because the tyre contact patch is shifted further from the hub. but thats about it

hope this helps

have a nice day

sanj

Thanks Sanj,

The old Fella agrees that wheel diameter is not the prob, But wheel width is, the sexy new ones are 6" and if the std ones are 4.5", is there a chance of the wheel touching the springs or wheel arch lip with the bigger ofset ?

He's giving me a hard time for buying before researching..!

Thanks for the help fighting him..!

Thanks

Natalie

I think wheel offset is measured from the centre of the hub outwards, so a bigger offset makes the wheel stick out more. but you would need to ask someone who is familiar with alloys to check this out!

as for the wheels rubbing, you should have no trouble with the rears, the fronts may rub but i dunno. so i would try putting your steering on full lock and having a look.

have a nice day

sanj

"Wheel offset is the distance from the center line of the wheel to the mounting face"

4.5" std(?) wheel with 38 offset Versus 6" wheel with 45 offset

The clearance from stut to the inside of the wheel will be 26mm LESS

The outside of the wheel will be an extra 12mm outboard.

As you say, I think we will fit them and find out.

Who would have a headstrong daughter...!

Many Thanks

Natalies Father

NO CHANCE on fitting 45 mill offset :arrgg-matey: that will give you so much grief,its not worth it

stick to 38 mill offset,once you lower it,it may catch on the drivers rear arch but not as much as 45 !!(that would rip the sidewall to pieces in 5 miles).Mine (the ep91) has 16's lowered 40mm and catchs a wee bit but nothing to worry about ! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Streetracer, But an et38 6" wheel will stick out a further 7mm than an et 45 6" wheel.

I am more concerned with clearance to suspension parts. But as some of you are running far larger rims than these, I guess it isn't really an issue.

Many Thanks

Its the other way round ! the higher the offset the further it sticks out. Trust me 45mm will not work.You might get the plastic arch at the front wheels catching,just make it catch for a while then look under and see where it is catching and cut it out !! :thumbsup:

my alloys were off of a mates corsa, and as far as i know corsa's are et49 offset.

mine fit fine, they do rub on the rear drivers arch, on almost full travel but the problem has been cured by a different tyre. the steering is heavier, but you've gotta expect that from a bigger an wider wheel. they fill the width of the arch quite nicely without being too close to the arch.

Rich.

To elaborate,

a 4.5" wheel = 114mm.

Center of wheel 57mm

Offset ET38 = 57- 38= 19mm from mounting to outboard edge of wheel

A 6" wheel = 152mm.

Center of wheel = 76mm

Offset ET45 gives 76+45=121mm from mounting face to outboard edge of wheel

A 6" wheel = 152mm

Center of wheel = 76mm

Offset ET 38 gives 76+38=114mm from mounting face to outboard edge of wheel

These are guide figures not taking into account material thickness etc.

So identical rim widths, the smaller the offset number the more the wheel "sticks out".

I wheeled the calculator out and it should be okay, provided the car has not been lowered

otherwise if you go round a corner get too much suspension deflection the wheel may touch the outside of the wheel arch if that makes sense.

also you may find the self centreing nature of the steering wheel gets stronger. as the moment centre moves further away from the pivot point - sounds technical but it just means you have to turn harder - hope you've got power steering.

Just remember, MOT!!!

You might be right actually,im looking at sum RWD corollas and they have ET 11 on them !!! They stick out like f*** ! Sorry guys and girls,but it is always better to stick to the OE spec :thumbsup:

yeh, they're some idiots at my school that have wheels that stick sooooooooo far out of the sides of their cars, looks so damn ridiculous

zaras starlet is runnin on 15 " prelude rims with 205 55 15 tyres with an et of 45 they went on no probs and look sweet i should know i drive it most days and fitted the dam things lol

Jim

• 6 years later...

so what about a wheel with a offset of 40, will that be alright on a starlet???

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links