Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Turbo: Differences Between Rev 2 And 3

Chavee

Hello there, I tried to search for this as I guess it's been covered before but the search function didn't want to work :unsure:

I understand the rev 3 cars had a different turbo running more boost, which is why the standard bhp quoted is higher.

Can anyone explain to me what other differences there were between the two versions?

I am considering buying an MR2 turbo but would intend to mod it, so if the only difference between the 2 models is the turbo's used then rev 2's do seem a lot cheaper (more money for mods ;) )

Pointers appreciated :)

Rev 3 turbo also had a colour coded front spoiler (one piece) where the rev 1 & 2 was a two piece split black plastic spoiler.

The rear lights were different, rev 1 & 2 had flat lights (look at my sig) whereas the rev 3 and on had a different shape light cluster (a nice mod is the revision 6 led cluster).

Think there is a different suspension setup on the rev 3 where they treid to aim more towards understeer than oversteer as far as they could....

Think that's about it, will post more differences as I remember them :D

rev 3 ones run 13psi as standard and have turbos that can flow 18 psi all the way to 7000rpm, full boost at 3k rpm.

rev 2 ones run 10psi but the turbos can only run 15 psi after 6k rpm as they are not as efficient, but they full boost at 2.6k rpm. for £200 you can buy a late spec turbocharger and swap it over so can then run 18 psi all the way to 7k rpm.

rev3s are easier for power over 300bhp but the turbos are weaker and the block on rev 1 and 2s is stronger. fuelling on rev2 is good for 320bhp, rev3 is 350bhp.

handling on rev 3s is pretty tame compared to the rev 2. proper drivers prefer rev1s, then come rev2s, then rev3s. toyota had to keep taming the handling because a lot of substandard and foolish drivers didn't know how to handle them. so different suspension was used, the engine was moved, driveshafts were altered to make it more understeer than oversteer.

rev3s have a shorter throw and gearshift as well. other than that interiors are the same.

sidestrips are completely colour coded on rev 3s, whereas rev 2s only have a hint of body colour on them.

different rear spoilers.

the block on rev 1 and 2s is stronger. fuelling on rev2 is good for 320bhp,

Can the fueling on a rev 2 be improved (although I think 300bhp would be around what I'd be aiming for)? Are their larger injectors that can be swapped on for a reasonable price?

I currently drive a 200sx s13 and a cheap upgrade for us is changing from 370cc injectors to discarded Skyline 444cc items for about £100 :D

What mods are required to a rev2 to get 300bhp copared to a rev3? Given the price difference I'd image total costs (including buying the car) to get a rev2 to 300bhp is actually going to be cheaper?

Is there a MR2 tuners website which gives a good idea of tuning paths like www.norrisdesigns.com does for S13's?

Really appreciate your comments guys :thumbsup:

for a rev 1 or 2 to crack 300 you'll need the later spec turbo about £200, decat, exhaust, airfilter, chip, and water injection.

a rev 3 will need the above minus the turbo.

an uprated fuel pump will prob be needed above 320bhp, injectors on rev3s are slightly larger 440cc (i think) compared to 3??cc. you can also get 550cc supra injectors to fit.

costs of getting to 300bhp depends on whether you can do the turbo yourself, buy a late spec turbo for 200, sell yours for 100-150 and then the turbo works out even cheaper, fitting is over 5hrs

How about 250bup without a turbo on a rev 1 NA, there is a plan afoot :)

planned budget 2.5k

250bhp on an n/a? how? i would've thought that the only way is through nitrous, turboing or supercharging.

i'm running 260ish on my rev1 turbo without losing any driveability and hopefully in a few months it'll be getting a 50 shot of nitrous to enable me to occasionally crack 300bhp.

but for an n/a surely you'll have to go pistons, cams and pretty modify the whole engine which'll give it a lumpy idle and driveability will be lost. it'd be interesting to see how it could be achieved, i know toms did a 250bhp engine but they obviously had a bigger budget.

I'll post the hows and what when it'sdone or when I give up trying to get the budget :)

It is definately possible with the right bit's and bob's and definately not nitrous, turbo or SC....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links