Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hi All, Levin Trouble

Adriane

Hi everyone just joined the forum from Kenya. we havent got a local forum here. Nway i just bought a black 1992 silvertop 20v levin with 119000kms on the clock. its got a replacement engine imported used from Japan. i notice that it doesnt respond to throttle inputs as fast as i'd like also theres a light on the dashboard in the shape of a car that goes on and off intermittently. my last car was an 88 505 so iam in fairly new territory here any advice?

Hi everyone just joined the forum from Kenya. we havent got a local forum here. Nway i just bought a black 1992 silvertop 20v levin with 119000kms on the clock. its got a replacement engine imported used from Japan. i notice that it doesnt respond to throttle inputs as fast as i'd like also theres a light on the dashboard in the shape of a car that goes on and off intermittently. my last car was an 88 505 so iam in fairly new territory here any advice?

Hi Adriane,

Sounds like it could be a dodgy electrical contact.

Double check that all your electrical plugs are tight, and clipped into the loom properly.

Cheers,

Steve

well i checked the connections and tightened them all up so the warning light has dissapeared but the power loss is still there. its almost as if it were a turbo no power until 6500 rpm then it kicks in with a whoosh. alas it takes ages to get to 6500rpm and it feels choked until that point. iam quite frankly baffled

Well, it sounds like we're in the right area, if the warning light has gone out.

Under different circumstances, I'd suggest that you pop down to your local Toyota dealer, and get them to plug in their diagnostic gear. However, I know that things aren't that simple in Kenya.

I spent several Easters, back in the early '80s, servicing on the Safari Rally, for Middlesex County AC team. We had help from TTE (the Henry Liddon days) and Westland's Motors in Nairobi. The garage had great difficulty getting basic things, such as electrical plugs. We had to poke bare wires into the sockets!

Anyway, that doesn't help you, much...

Does the engine rev freely when not under load?

Check that you have the correct plugs and gaps etc?

Worn out HT leads? (Have a look in the dark, to see if you get any tracking).

Cheers,

Steve

Actually theres lots of places to get diagnostics done in Kenya now its just that they charge a !Removed! fortune. anyway i guess i'll just have to grin and bear it especially as fuel efficiency is also suffering. you should visit Kenya again its changed a lot since the 80's and you can now get most things automotive done including PAC tuning, bodykits and ICE... for a price

It's good that you've at least got the option of going to a Toyota dealer, or tune up centre (bush mechanic?). Sometimes it can be worth it, just for the peace of mind. Difficult-to-find faults can be very frustrating.

I did visit Kenya again, about 8 years ago, (honeymoon actually), and you're right, things have changed a lot. But not necessarily for the better, I fear. I barely recognised Malindi from previous visits.

I also hear it's unadvisable to walk anywhere in Nairobi nowadays. Very sad. I do love the country, though.

Cheers,

Steve

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links