Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mot Failure

ChadPaul

My Celica GT just failed it's MOT on brake balance (it passed on everything else). The disks and pads are ok so its been suggested that a brake hose could be blocked or one of the calipers may need replacing. Has anyone had a similar problem or any idea what may need doing to pass the MOT? Thanks

could well be a sticky caliper.

Best bet is to take it to a mechanic to sort out. Usually I wouldn't say this, but as it's an MOT issue, they'll have the necessary equipment to check the system afterwards. Think how sick you'd be if you replaced the caliper and it still had a balance problem.

Rich

When they tested it did the readings both start from zero or was 1 already showing a reading ( brake binding )? or did they take both up slowly to 100 and 1 side was slower to go up than the other ( low effort )??

brake binding means the caliper piston needs cleaning .

low effort means the piston could be rusted in and isnt comming out far enough .in both cases pop out the pads ,pump the brake pedal until the pistons shows about 3/4 of an inch and give it a good clean and a spray with wd40 , this should get it passed the mot test.

the sliders also on the calipers may also be sticking causing binding or low effort.

All I know from the test is that the drivers side front brake was low on pressure. I've now ordered a brake hose (£18) and will fit it on friday. Whilst doing this i'll definately give the pistons a good clean and spray of WD40. Thanks for the advice, i'll let you know how the re-test goes on friday afternoon. :thumbsup:

how will you bleed the brakes?

With help from an old mechanic. Whilst he does the tricky bits i'll probably be making the cups of tea!

Sorted out the brakes and passed the MOT re-test. Took the wheel off to put the brake hose on and discovered that it was the lower slider on the caliper. After spending about half an hour freeing the slider everything was fine once put back together. Also just returned the hose that i bought so saved a bit of money as well. :thumbsup:

told ya. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links