Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Washboard Abs

MrWinkey

Hi all,

Have had a great day today out with all the Sunday drivers, and they are worst on bank holiday sundays.

We have had soooooooooooooo many near misses today, its been amazing.

Anyway, to my question.

Having had to anchor on at speed today, the ABS had its chance to shine, which it did.

But, as well as the very strong pulsing under foot, we also got a loud niose at the same time. The noise is difficult to describe, but it also pulsed along with the break pedal.

So, is this normal, or is there something wrong with the ABS.

I am not sure if the wheels may have also locked up and skidded a little, but as i say, i am not sure. Just threw this in incase it helps anyone witht he noise.

Thanks in adnvance for any replies.

Hi all,

Have had a great day today out with all the Sunday drivers, and they are worst on bank holiday sundays.

We have had soooooooooooooo many near misses today, its been amazing.

Anyway, to my question.

Having had to anchor on at speed today, the ABS had its chance to shine, which it did.

But, as well as the very strong pulsing under foot, we also got a loud niose at the same time. The noise is difficult to describe, but it also pulsed along with the break pedal.

So, is this normal, or is there something wrong with the ABS.

I am not sure if the wheels may have also locked up and skidded a little, but as i say, i am not sure. Just threw this in incase it helps anyone witht he noise.

Thanks in adnvance for any replies.

Yes, it's normal. It's the ABS pump doing it's, rather fast, work.

Yves.

Yes, it does sound a bit like your car is about to fall apart but it is normal. Let's hope you don't have to experience it all that often! :thumbsup:

Thats brilliant folks,

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

And yeh, lets hope it is a very uncommon experience.

That noise actually changes to a quiet fine grinding noise/sensation if you had s/s braided brake lines fitted, and the brake pedal will feel alot more solid and firmer too! :D

But all in all .. yes its normal! :lol:

:thumbsup:

Heyyyy my fave guy Mr Winkey's back! :lol::lol:

Yeah the ABS kicking in does feel veeeerrrryyy strange - I remember hitting some ice once in Karis on a downward slope - I thought the car was going to blow up or something! lol

ABS - its good stuff! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Although it should come with a warning I think - your car may appear to be blowing up, but do not panic - it is normal! :D

Angel,

thanks for caring, i have been very busy lately, so havent had any time to play on the PC. But its nice to be back. Asking questions as usual, not answering them.

Yeh ABS should come with a warning. The manual worns you about the pedal, but not the niose. As you say, just when you are panicking, it makes you panic some more.

Hows things Angel, just read a post from you having a bit of a moan about only being able to afford a non-performance car and struggling to keep the world together.

Angel,

thanks for caring, i have been very busy lately, so havent had any time to play on the PC. But its nice to be back. Asking questions as usual, not answering them.

Yeh ABS should come with a warning. The manual worns you about the pedal, but not the niose. As you say, just when you are panicking, it makes you panic some more.

Hows things Angel, just read a post from you having a bit of a moan about only being able to afford a non-performance car and struggling to keep the world together.

Hun - I'm a woman, I'll always find something to moan about! :lol::lol::lol:

Things are generally pretty groovy though - thanks for asking!

Dont you worry about asking questions - thats what these guys are here for - heaven knows I use them more than I probably should! :D

Will you be popping along to the TOC Track Attack at Bruntingthorpe btw? I'll be there so if your going - it'd be cool to put a face to the name (and the avatar! lol Bet you dont turn up dressed like that though! lol) :lol::thumbsup:

Yeh Angel your right, women alwasy find something to moan about, except when us guys want you to moan thats is, then you always manage to keep your mouths shut. lol.

Would love to come to a track day, but unfortunately (well not really) i have just opened a new shop and have no time for playing.

As far as the face to the name goes, you can see my ugly mug on my avatar (oo, that reminds me of the latest series of Charmed, well fave prog). If i did have time to come along, i actually wouled come dressed like that, so everyone recognised me. I am dying for them to bring back the Rocky Horror so i can get glammed up again. Its not the same in the privacy of your own home.

Glad things are good at the moment, thats the way they should be. Good things do come to you eventually, you just have to be brave.

Off to bed now, ready for a nice day off in the rain tomorrow.

Night night.

Yeah, totally normal... a kind of grinding noise. I had to slam on the other day due to some taxi twit pulling out infront of me.... i hit brakes that hard and fast that the passenger under-seat tray shot out! Good brakes is what i like to see!

Does feel and sound a bit like a hammer drill working ...

I'd recommend the braided hoses though - best pounds per results mod I can think of ...

I wish I had ABS! :crybaby:

why alot of the time your better off without it, dont get me wrong sometimes it really shines yes. but other times its a bloddy hinderence. you should be able to swich it off.

You used to be able to do that on Audis so that you could stop better in the snow. One of my friends has a collection of Audi 200 Quattros with that.

A

why alot of the time your better off without it, dont get me wrong sometimes it really shines yes. but other times its a bloddy hinderence. you should be able to swich it off.

Damn right! Many a time it's cut in far too early! BMW ABS brakes are probably the best in the world... they hardly ever cut in! Only when severe braking is enforced do they cut in. And yes, we should be able to turn it off!

Damn right! Many a time it's cut in far too early! BMW ABS brakes are probably the best in the world... they hardly ever cut in! Only when severe braking is enforced do they cut in. And yes, we should be able to turn it off!

Hmmm but then what if you need it urgently - what, you've gotta flick a switch first or something?? lol

I had to do some harsh braking on the A5 the other day - it goes from single carriageway, to dual and then back to single all the way to Rugby and I was tottering along on the left lane of the dual carriageway and both lanes merge into one..... some bat out of hell in a BMW comes zooming up to me in the right hand lane - we reach the merge point at the same time and the idiots gonna hit me unless I brake because he's not going to - I had to slam them on! It really scared me - berluddy idiot! :ffs: :ffs:

Old ABS is goooooood stuff! :thumbsup:

If you really need it and it's switched off.... chambers braking is to be implied! Pump that pedal! But you're right, it's a must-have safety feature on all cars.

That idiot in BMW.... i'd have kept followed him, then let the air out of all his tyres.... he inconveniences you, you inconvenience him! Nob head!

If you really need it and it's switched off.... chambers braking is to be implied! Pump that pedal! But you're right, it's a must-have safety feature on all cars.

That idiot in BMW.... i'd have kept followed him, then let the air out of all his tyres.... he inconveniences you, you inconvenience him! Nob head!

No disrespect to my 1.3 Yaris but quite frankly I couldnt have kept up with him if I tried! He was doing at least 120mph and he didnt slow down (shame the cops didnt have the speed traps out - would have been sweet justice to drive past and see him being done for speeding!)

Spot on though - I'm sure his number plate was KN08 HED! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hehehehehe!! :lol::lol:

This is just another case where the bad 'uns walk free! Never mind, at least no damage was done and nobody was hurt!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links