Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Massive Quake Off Indonesia

Uncle Bob

"Massive quake off indonesia

An 8.2 magnitude earthquake has struck in the sea off the coast of Sumatra, Indonesia, the US Geological Survey said.

The quake struck 125 miles west north west off Sibolga, Sumatra or 880 miles north west of the Indonesian capital of Jakarta at 5.09pm UK time.

Thai officials issued a warning of a possible tsunami, three months after a tsunami devastated parts of Indonesia and other countries in the region. The quake occurred at a depth of nearly 19 miles, the USGS, said.

Japan's Meteorological Agency measured the quake at magnitude 8.5."

Lets hope its not as bad as last time :( .

Its only a few hundred miles from the last epicentre.....

They are predicting more tsunamis, although not as bad as the last ones..... its so shocking though.

Thoughts and prayers go out to people in Indonesia - will their suffering ever end?

And this is apparently just an aftershock from the last one too...... :unsure:

:( :( :( :( :(

I know this sounds bad but at least they may know what to expect and more lives may be saved if there is a tidal wave. :(

I know this sounds bad but at least they may know what to expect and more lives may be saved if there is a tidal wave. :(

No, people are being told to evacuate the coast and get to high ground - they didnt have those warnings last time so hopefully there should be minimum casualties....

Its still so sad though - all these people want is to rebuild their lives - and Mother Nature may take it all away again.....

nice of them to actually issue warnings this time round.... maybe they have learned something.

the fact that tsunamis have been happening since the dawn of time and a huuuuge one comes around those parts every 80 years or so, was never a consideration for them previously though.

im sure that when the next one happens in 80 years or so, the lessons learnt will have been forgotten again..... luckily, it's safe to say i wont be around then to say i told you so :)

Hi everyone. Were back from the Maldives, got home yesterday evening. We were so surprised to hear of the earthquake! We had no idea of its happening while we were out there. So it obviously did not affect the area where we were. Its awful isnt it. We can tell you all that the area of Male and the Maldives does not seem to have been badly affected thank goodness and anyone thinking of a holiday in the area will not be disappointed.

:yes: B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links