Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Plastic Digital Display - Lightly Scratched!

Yarizman

Hi guys, Im newbie to this site.

Got a 03 Yaris, was cleaning the Interior over the Weekend.

I cleaned the plastic display with a soft damp cloth, oblivious to me i caused a very light scratch on the display.

I noticed it at night, & to be honest is really irritating!

Was wondering if I could get a replacement Plastic Bezel fotr the Display from Toyot a dealer.

Instint tells me its a complete unit, hence I'm bracing for the worst!

Since its a very light scratch, is there any plastic polish that could remove this without damaging the display.

I've heard RENOVO plastic polish works a gem, & is recommended by MG community for renovating their Plastic convertible screens.

Any help would be kindly appreciated.

regards

Hi, First of all, Welcome to TOC

As for the dash, remember that the actual display is projected from below with some fancy mirror work etc, so i think it might be possible to get a new plastic outer cover from Mr T (Our name for official Toyota dealers).

You can get plastic scratch remover, and its very good, but you have to be willing to put the elbow grease in! Its hard work, especially if the scratches are deep and it requires a lot of vigourous scrubbing! (Don't do what i did and hope the buffing head on the dremel would be better than using a cloth!!!! Not the best of ideas!)

Hope this helps

:thumbsup:

Thing with Brasso chris is that its thick and it just fills the scratches in, but it doesn't actually get rig of them, it just takes the harshness off the edge of the scratch and makes it less obvious (Works better on glass EG watch faces than on plastics!)

B)

Are you sure its definately a scratch and not a smudge?

A soft cloth shouldnt scratch the plastic surely..... :unsure:

I've seen this before on a number of cars. I swear that the clear plastic used to cover the display/gauges on every Japanese car must be the softest d*mn plastic known to mankind. They ALL scratch with minimal effort. A paper towel and some glass cleaner WILL scratch up that plastic real nice. It's totally ridiculous.

I finally resorted to NEVER touching that plastic on any car I've owned after leaving some nice dull buff marks on a few. I just use compressed air from a can to clean it. It really is bizarre though. They have to know people will want to wipe the dust from this surface, yet in every car I've owned the plastic is so damn fragile that it cannot be cleaned without damage unless you use a silk cloth and the precise hand of a neurosurgeon.

Try some of that plastic polish though, I've heard it works. I would not try anything else though, that isn't specifically made for the purpose.

hi guys i'm a new member from melbourne, aust and i also have issues with the plastic over the display, mine has started to split from the bottom of the cover, took it to the dealer today, they have never seen this b4. i'm a member of the ozecho.com forum/club as well, and no one there has heard of this either :unsure: any one had probs like this?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links