Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What To Do?

alanbradley

Sporty toyota.... No more then 2 grand...

Need I say more? :D

Cheers again...

Supra you say? Hmmm.... I'd forgotten about them. They fit the bill even better than the Celica (tough luck Tom! :P )...

The idea of a Celica GT4 is good, but quite frankly I couldn't afford to run it. Over the last couple of years I've covered about 23,000 miles a year so I just couldn't afford to run it. As Matt says, I really like the economy of the diesel.

I have actually bought the bits for a couple of smallish mods so I'm going to fit tham and in the meantime get saving a bit of money... Now, where's that Supra buying guide? ;)

Thanks again for all of the suggestions,

Alan :thumbsup:

Supra Buyers guide

I have a pre face lift white n/a manual for sale... but a *tad* too far methinks!!

Are you handy with a tool kit?

Gosh! Did they do a diesel supra then?  :o

I would love a diesel Supra.

Give it a twin turbo 3.0 diesel I6.

That would probably be good for 175 hp+ and 250+ lbft of torque.

Supra D4-D!

:ph34r:

Alan. Watch the wheel spinning...

illusion.jpg

You will chip your Yaris....you will chip your Yaris....you will chip your Yaris....

if you chip and mod the yaris, it will still be a yaris! I would sell it and get a a car that was meant to be a sports car. Once sold you could get yourself a nice gen 6 GT4 celica and that should give years of enjoyment!

From what I've learnt - it's always cheaper to get a car that was meant to do what you want it to rather than try and alter a lesser car to do what you want!

The question is, does he just want a bit of a sportier feel, or does he feel the need for a ballz to the wall sports car.

What's better? A sportier car he can enjoy everyday, or the expense of a second car that he's paying for only to drive on weekends?

Oh, he won't know what he wants after reading all of this thread! :lol:

LOL @ the spinning wheel by the way! (not that it's actually spinning for me - it's not that late here). :thumbsup:

A friend of mine recently bought a 1978 Triumph Spitfire for £1100. It had a very good condition chassis and minimal rust for age of car... he's now in the process of a restoration... it's getting new suspension, wheels, tyres, brakes and he's already sorted the engine.... he's doing a nice little ICE set up, and has aquired a new hood and is going to fit a sports exhaust.

It sounds fantatsic already and runs smooth right through the revs.... once finished he'll have spent about £2500 in total, so you could easily do it for £2000 as his exhaust system is going to cost £350, the hood cost £150 and the ICE wasn't neccessary.... so there you go, a nice project to do in your spare time and a £2000 car that will be loads of fun when done! Granted it'll break down a lot, and the scottish weather will probably destroy it before you get chnace to drive it, but live the dream!!! Buy an english classic!!!

I know this sounds ludicrous... but think of the fun!

Nothing wrong with that if he's skillful with a wrench and can maintain it and wants to.

But the spinning wheel's already told him what to do......hasn't it Alan?

It's no secret I am not a fan of the Yaris. Now with the exception of a few people on this forum that have speant their money very sensibly modifying their Yari and turning them into a respectable cars - In standard form I don't like their styling, inside or out; and the performance is just dire... And before anyone says anything yes I have driven an entry level 1l and a top spec T-Sport. OK judgment wasn't fair beause I had just climbed out my MKII MR2 - both times. But it still hasn't changed my mind yet... maybe I should climb into a T-sport after driving my Rover 25 :rolleyes:

Ditch the Yaris and get something more manly and if you have the budget go Corolla T-Sport/Civic TypeR. If budget is tight then Celica GT4 (ST185) or older Corolla GTi or similar. If you do a lot of twisties and have never driven one steer clear of RWD cars like the MR2's - you won't feel the full benifit - although can be loads of fun. £2k will probably get you a MKI MR2 in pristine condition that won't cost a bomb to insure, run or service and they handle much better than the MKII's Also for the £2K mark you could probably find a half decent Prelude...

seveer unaek & System~G have both raised very good points.

My advice would be keep the Yaris as an everyday car and for less than £2000 buy an older sports car as well (remember 'sports car' does not always mean 'fast' but 'fun') such as an MGBGT (This can be bought for around £1000 with plenty of M.O.T ...I know so cause I do!), Midget, Capri, Manta, TR7 or Spitfire or...Mk1 MR2 (MK1 MR2's have now become the new affordable sports car with bags of fun) of course all the above will require a little tinkering (plus a little rust) but then all true affordable sports cars are never perfect, for that would be so boring (and when tinkering with ones jalopy on a Sunday Morning you are never far away from a passer by who wants to have a chat about your wheels) :lol: .

Also insurrance would be cheep and if you pick an old enough example no road tax.

What you will find when on the road with a 'Classic' is other road users will be 'nice' to you (let you out in traffic, keep there distance etc.).

All the above is recited from my own experiance

Let the good times roll :thumbsup:

go for an old 1.9 205gti insure it as a modern classic with limited mileage and use it for B road blasting, lots of cheap spares and modding parts about plus a wealth of knowledge about them and for less than 1K you cant get many more smiles per mile than one of those, easy to work on yourself too, i know its not a toyota but you dont get much more fun for less than 1k

G6AArgh Posted Today, 10:12 AM

go for an old 1.9 205gti insure it as a modern classic with limited mileage and use it for B road blasting, lots of cheap spares and modding parts about plus a wealth of knowledge about them and for less than 1K you cant get many more smiles per mile than one of those, easy to work on yourself too, i know its not a toyota but you dont get much more fun for less than 1k

Yes, well said, there are a lot of 80's hot hatchs still out there and body corrosion may not be so much of a problem (I say may not be :lol: )

they tend not to rust (if one is rusty its been crashed and fixed poorly) but interior build quality is poor, also check at the top of the doors at the roof line going back down the roof there will be a big crack down there (there always is) this is a good indication of how hard its been going around corners any longer than about 4inches and its had a hard life. if your fully committed into your corners theres still not many modern cars that can keep up with a standard 205gti with suspension in good shape around the twistys and youl find youself not quite beleiving how quick you do go round them with practise dont bottle it halfway round cos it WILL kill you unless youve practised the liftoff oversteer aspect of em!

(spot the 205gti fan) :yes:

Supra Buyers guide

I have a pre face lift white n/a manual for sale... but a *tad* too far methinks!!

Are you handy with a tool kit?

Cheers for the link Karma!

I'm not bad with a spanner on most things (I'm a bit of a footerer and "fixer"), but driving modern Toyotas hasn't given me much of a chance to practice :lol:

Trust me, from here once you've done the first 100 miles almost anywhere is easy to get to :lol: (looks again at mileometer in car... over 1,200 miles a month without going anywhere special)

Whoever said I don't know what to think is right... :wacko:

Alan

For those that mentioned fuel consumption...

Driving conservatively I can get 350-400 miles out of my supra turbo auto...

It costs £55 to fill up from totally empty to near overflowing (esso super plus)...

They really are not that thirsty!

Even "not hanging about" I tend to get at least 300 miles to a tank...

Karma,

Please, please, please stop telling me how great the Supra is... I need at least a couple of months of saving ;)

Thanks for the link to the buying guide btw :thumbsup: and Henley on Thames is easy to get to... Fly to London, stay with little sister in Woking, get her to drive you places, fly/drive back up :lol:

A

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links