Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Reving By Itself

adidasandy

:( Hi all, just bought a MR2 M reg and found that when the car is cold or been running less than 20 mins the revs go up and down very fast, only to 2500 rpm but still I don't like it. The funny thing is I had a mk1 MR2 and it done exactly the same thing?????

Can someone help me out to what is causing this.

Thanks Andy

Same problem for both cars.

There's probably air in the coolant system. Although on a MKI one can get problems with the wax stat too - thus the developement of a manual "choke" for the MKI available on the MKI Club.

A bleed of the coolant system should sort it out a treat. After doing the bleeding, just double check all around under the car for any leaks.

Here's a how-to I wrote for the MKI - not sure how different it is for a MKII:

1] Put your heater controls to warm

2] Remove spare wheel

3] Remove the two vinyl hoses attached to the frame behind the spare.

4] Connect one end of one hose to the heater bleeder plug and tape the other end to the bonnet as high as it will go - do not block.

5] Connect the one end of the other hose to the radiator bleader plug and tape the other end to the bonnet support arm as high as it will go - do not block

6] Loosen the valves on both plugs about three complete turns.

7] Loosen the bleeder vlave on the coolant inlet housing near the gear box about three turns.

8] Add Glycol based coolant to the coolant filler gap (where the radiator type cap was) until full. Wait a few minutes to let level drop and fill again. reapeat as often as required.

9] Squeeze the larger hoses around the coolant filler gap to provoke air out the bleeder plugs. reeat steps 8 and 9 until you're sure there is no air left in the system.

10] When coolant level is aprox just under 1/2 way between the markings in the resevoir tank (clear bottle next to coolant filler gap) add water to it to bring to max level.

11] Close all the bleeder valves/plugs.

12] Replace the radiator type cap to one click-stop (do not tighten completely).

13] Start the engine and run on fast idle for about 3-5 minutes.

14] Stop the engine

15] Check levels in resevior and in coolant filler gap. Repeat Steps 9 - 13 if needed.

16] Once satisfied, replace radiator type cap securely (all the way to end-stop).

17] Run engine again for 3-5 minutes.

18] Top up resevior with water again to "full" mark.

19] Start the engine again and check for any leaks etc...

20] Replace vinyl hoses, spare wheel and plastic covers.

21] Check levels weekly or every 250 miles.

HTH :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links