Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Steering Feels Heavy?

em_ar_two

had my mr2 gt 93 a few weeks but think the power steering feels bit heavy, is it coz its rear engine or something or should it be like that, gets heavier the further i turn the wheel, it dosent return to centre very well wither, any help or advice fellas

Well I dont know for sure what the answer to that is, there are probably a couple of possibilities. My steering went heavy all of a sudden one day and the local garage checked out my pump (which was ok) and some fluid levels (i think). In the end it turned out some relay has given up the ghost and needed replacing.

Out of all the cars I've ever driven, the mk2 MR2 does have quite heavy power steering.

You'd know if it was the relay that wasn't working as you'd get the P/S warning light on the dash - and the steering would be VERY heavy.

It shouldn't get heavier the more you turn though (although it does with the relay not working).

check tyre pressure before owt else!

i made myself look a right fool with another car when i took it to a garage complaining of steering without noticing n/s tyre was nearly flat.

I can't say I find the steering on mine terribly heavy at all in comparison to anything I've had before (last car was a Carina E)

I've read cases on here of the power steering relay getting stuck. The solution is to either:

- Buy a new relay from Mr T (expensiveness)

- Turn the ignition on and off 20-30 times. This unsticks the relay apparently.

There have been plenty of cases where the second solution has solved the problem (just do a quick search and see! :thumbsup: ) but I have not had to try it myself. :yes:

had my mr2 gt 93 a few weeks but think the power steering feels bit heavy, is it coz its rear engine or something or should it be like that, gets heavier the further i turn the wheel, it dosent return to centre very well wither, any help or advice fellas

I drive loads of different cars through work and I can definately say that in comparison the MR2 does have heavy steering (even with power assist). Personally I prefer heavy steering as it seems to give better feedback. If you can steer while stationary without too much effort then your power steering is probably ok. If you want to make sure, try steering with the engine turned off and feel the difference.

Agreed with bobby :yes:

The 2 does have pretty heavy steering, the only thing i can compare it to....and dont hit me when I say this is.....a volvo 480 turbo :yes:

Agreed with bobby  :yes:

The 2 does have pretty heavy steering, the only thing i can compare it to....and dont hit me when I say this is.....a volvo 480 turbo  :yes:

I must just have strong arms :P

The 2 does have pretty heavy steering, the only thing i can compare it to....and dont hit me when I say this is.....a volvo 480 turbo   :yes:

I wouldnt like to suggest why you might have a lot of strength in those forearms iblis :P

The 2 does have pretty heavy steering, the only thing i can compare it to....and dont hit me when I say this is.....a volvo 480 turbo  :yes:

I wouldnt like to suggest why you might have a lot of strength in those forearms iblis :P

:lol: I'll be shutting up now!

hi mate, had problem with my power steering when i got my car, was very heavy, got a tip on the forum which sound daft, but it worked for me.

supposedly its a common problem, the relay furrs up, and what you have to do is put key in, and without starting engine, turn it as fast as you can about 40 times on off on off...

give it a go.. should work for you too...

hi mate, had problem with my power steering when i got my car, was very heavy, got a tip on the forum which sound daft, but it worked for me.

supposedly its a common problem, the relay furrs up, and what you have to do is put key in, and without starting engine, turn it as fast as you can about 40 times on off on off...

give it a go.. should work for you too...

Yeah, it is a common problem. But the OP said it feels 'a bit heavy' - not how you'd describe the an MR2 with powersteering failure, more like 'f@!#!£$ rediculously heavy' :D And as I said, if that were the problem you'd see the P/S warning light on the dash (assuming the bulb is still working!!).

They're actually on the other side to what's shown on that BGB, as it's for an American car (the brake resevoir & master cylinder & clutch resevoir are infront of the driver on Jap/UK cars) .

Good point :thumbsup:

does it not have anything to do with the fact that the steering is fed by an electric motor rather than a belt feed? maybe an uprated pump would make it lighter?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links