Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whining Noise From Landcruiser 3.0 Td Auto

Phil_Cruiser

Hi, My 1997 3.0TD LAndcruiser Prado makes a funny whining noise which I THINK comes from the automatic transmission?! :eek: It seems to appear once it's warmed through and is worst when stopped in drive (at lights etc...) once I set off it seems to be alot quieter. Also if I knock it into neutral it goes all together. Please help as it's really starting to annoy me and other than this one noise the vehicle is running perfectly :angry::crybaby:

Thanks,

Phil :unsure::help:

hi

Have you had the transmission fluid drained, flushed and replaced??

if so was the correct fluid used??

hi

No I haven't but I've noit had the vehicle long so perhaps the previous owner had. Do you think it's worth changing the fluid? Is it hard?

Thanks!

Phil.

• 2 weeks later...

poss fuel return valve noisey at idle but goes when revved, sounds fron n/s floor

history of this, cheap to fix

hi

No I haven't but I've noit had the vehicle long so perhaps the previous owner had. Do you think it's worth changing the fluid? Is it hard?

Thanks!

Phil.

Hi Phil its not a hard job to change your auto trans fluid all you do is

1) go to your local automotive store and get about 5 litres of the correct auto trans fluid (it will be dextron 2 or dextron 3 but they normally have guides in the stores) and a small funnel (you will need it)

2) get under car and look at the gearbox there will be a sump (like on the engine) and a drain bung.

3) undo the drain bung (do this when the engine is cold as the auto trans fluid can get hot) once the fluid has drained put the bung back in

4)if you look in the engine bay you will have 2 dipstips one for engine oil and one for the trans fluid level.

5)pull out the dipstick and put the small funnel in the dipstick tube and fill with about 2.5 litres of trans fluid.

6) start engine and put your foot on the brake and select each gear for 5 sec and move to the next gear, once through them all put into park but leave engine running.

7) put in the dipstick and check level whilst the engine is runing and top up as needed.

Hope this helps you mate

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links