Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bleeding Brakes...

zetecuk

Hi,

I've just rebuilt the rear calipers on my 5th gen Celica GT, but can't seem to get the air out of the braking system.

Have bled loads of fluid through the system using the manual pumping-the-pedal technique. Initially we got a fair bit of air out, but the fluid has been free of bubbles for about 10-15 pumps of the pedal at each corner now.

There still seems to be air in the system somewhere though - the pedal is spongy with the engine off, and with the servo on it is fairly easy to press it to the floor. There don't seem to be any fluid leaks anywhere.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get rid of the rest of the air?

Thanks

Andrew

Hi,

I've just rebuilt the rear calipers on my 5th gen Celica GT, but can't seem to get the air out of the braking system.

Have bled loads of fluid through the system using the manual pumping-the-pedal technique. Initially we got a fair bit of air out, but the fluid has been free of bubbles for about 10-15 pumps of the pedal at each corner now.

There still seems to be air in the system somewhere though - the pedal is spongy with the engine off, and with the servo on it is fairly easy to press it to the floor. There don't seem to be any fluid leaks anywhere.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get rid of the rest of the air?

Thanks

Andrew

Have you bled the fronts as well? Air can find its waythrough the whole system if the flexi pipes weren`t clamped. And do it in th ecorrect sequence. Usually the calliper furthest away from reservoir 1st then so on till the one nearest. :thumbsup:

Yep, bled the fronts as well, all in the correct sequence. Maybe I've sucked more air into the top of the system? Though I think I kept the resevoir well topped up thoughout.

The manual says you might need to bleed a lot of fluid through the system to get rid of air trapped in the abs actuator... but how much is a lot?

Might have to admit defeat and take it to the garage round the corner (very slowly! :))

Yep, bled the fronts as well, all in the correct  sequence. Maybe I've sucked more air into the top of the system? Though I think I kept the resevoir well topped up thoughout.

The manual says you might need to bleed a lot of fluid through the system to get rid of air trapped in the abs actuator... but how much is a lot?

Might have to admit defeat and take it to the garage round the corner (very slowly! :))

The ABS system does make a lot of difference to bleeding. 15-20 pumps should`ve done it i would have thought. If you take it to a garage make sure they pressure bleed them. It`s a lot more efficient way of doing it. :thumbsup:

try doing it with the engine running , the abs pump will run then , maybe it will help you.

Thanks for all your help. Took it to the garage and they eventually found that I had installed a pad wrongly and it was bending as I pressed the brakes, causing the soggy pedal. Doh!

The pad is knackered now, but luckilly its on the side that wasn't binding, so I should be able to stick the old pad back on which is like new anyway.

I blame my dad, he was meant to be supervising ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links