Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica 1991 Gt Engine Swap

Pidi

Hi..

So.. I'm from Quebec, my english is not very well, but I'll try to be right.

I want to swap my.. 2.2L 140HP 150torque for something better.

I was thinking for the best.. a 3S-GTE, but in Quebec, the Toy Celica GT-4 isn't accepted so, I can't find pieces of that engine if something goes bad for him.

I was thinking for a 2jZ.. but.. no, bad idea too, 1jZ.. same thing, too complicated for me.

I've think about a Lexus motor.. can you help me..? An IS-200?

I hope that you understand me with my poor english.. thank you.

-Pidi.

Edit: this is my car.. http://het607.monchar.com/ She's gonna be a sleeper, not a Pimp Ride ;).

She will stay like that for one year, or more, so it's gonna be funny !

Hi Pidi. Welcome to TOC. Your english is fine. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The problem you will have with the 3S-GTE engine is the gearbox. You would have to find a MR2 Turbo gearbox and drive shafts.

Certainly the easiest swap would be the 3S-GE engine which is i think 176BHP and is used in the 2 litre celicas. I think also you would have to swap the ECU and a few bits of wiring. But it is a fairly straight forward swap. Hope this is some help to you.

Not sure about the Lexus engine.

Sounds like you currently have a 5s-fe engine. This is the same as the 3s-fe, but with longer stroke to make 2.2L. In theory it would be possible to put a 3s-ge cylinder head on your current engine. The only thing that may prevent this from working would be if the fe and ge piston crowns are different. Of course, you would also need manifolds, ECU, and harness+sensors from a 3s-ge as well.

The 3s-ge engine is used in some celicas (ST162, ST182, ST202), most mk2 MR2s, but maybe it never made it to your country in those cars. If the Lexus IS200 in Quebec has a 4 cylinder engine (Japanese cars are 4 cylinder, uk are 6), it will be a 3s-ge, and should bolt up to your existing gearbox. :hokus-pokus:

Don't even think about trying to install a 6 cylinder engine transverse in a Ceilca!

Ahh... So.. I think I'll stay with my first idea.. the 3s-GTE All the way :P.

Gearbox.. your talking about the Tranny or..? Cause somebody told me that I can keep my tranny. I think I'll import a Japoness 3S-GTE from a Celica GT-4..

-Pidi.

Ahh... So.. I think I'll stay with my first idea.. the 3s-GTE All the way :P.

Gearbox.. your talking about the Tranny or..? Cause somebody told me that I can keep my tranny. I think I'll import a Japoness 3S-GTE from a Celica GT-4..

-Pidi.

Dont think your tranny will fit Pidi. I`m not 100% sure but i expect someone will be able to confirm. Also your Tranny was not designed to take 200+ BHP. I would think it would fail in a very short time. :unsure:

A friend of mine do that, the Celica's on the road and no problem with the tranny. I hope that my project's gonna be clean, but Toyota = $.. I'm 18 years old, and the money is my biggest problem :P.

How many P.S.I. did you run the Turbo..? My friend told me to run it at 15 P.S.I. but I'm not sure anymore of the P.S.I. More or less..?

-Pidi.

A friend of mine do that, the Celica's on the road and no problem with the tranny. I hope that my project's gonna be clean, but Toyota = $.. I'm 18 years old, and the money is my biggest problem :P.

How many P.S.I. did you run the Turbo..? My friend told me to run it at 15 P.S.I. but I'm not sure anymore of the P.S.I. More or less..?

-Pidi.

Depends which revision engine you use. If it`s a revision 3 with a CT20b turbo you can run 15-17 PSI without any real problem. If it`s the earlier revision 1 or 2 then i would run it no higher than 13-14 PSI. Any higher than this and you will have problems with fuel cut etc.

Of course you can fit a FCD to prevent this but you`ll have other problems with fueling etc. Thats when it starts to get expensive. :thumbsup:

Yes. CT 26 is standard on revision 1 & 2 engines. So the lower figures will apply unless a FCD is fitted. Most people seem to run them at about 15psi with a FCD. :thumbsup:

Nice, that was what I want.. :) Thank you so much for the information.. ! You're a master.. ^^ :)

Another Question.. what's the bolt pattern on my Celica.. can you tell this to me..% 5x..??

-Pidi.

Nice, that was what I want.. :) Thank you so much for the information.. ! You're a master.. ^^ :)

Another Question.. what's the bolt pattern on my Celica.. can you tell this to me..% 5x..??

-Pidi.

Bolt pattern for the wheels? 5x100 Offset should be in the range 35 - 38mm :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links