Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ice Advice...

Big_Sid

How do!

I want to replace the standard Sony double height head unit in my Gen 7 with something that plays back MP3s...

I know you can get plenty of normal MP3 CD players now, but what I really wanted was something that had a built in hard disk drive, like an iPod does that would let you fit your entire collection on it. Anyone seen anything like this???

Failing that, does anyone have any good recommendations for replacement head units in the Gen7??

Cheers - Sid

There are a good few HDD MP3 stereos about, but you'll have a hard time finding one for under a grand.

Personally, I'd go for an MP3-CD player (which I have :P ) There's an amazing selection out their and you can fit well over 10 hours of music at a decent quality. Which lets face it, is enough for most people.

In either case this website is ok and it has a few hard disk mp3 stereos on it, but whatever you choose I would search around as you may be able to find it a bit cheaper.

One thing, I'm pretty sure the Gen7 has 6 Speakers, you may want to look into how other systems will connect cause I think most only support 4 speaker.

Happy Shopping :thumbsup:

A few companies (Pioneer, Alpine I think, and another) are bringing out I-Pod adaptors for their stereos. You dock your I-Pod, and it plays and charges at the same time (clicky). They usually hit the £60 mark which is a bit steep for what they actually are, but I guess its worth it! Just a thought when you are making your decsions... Good luck! Oh, and hope you don't have as much 'fun' finding a double to single din convertor as I did...!

Oh, and to answer your actual question, is this what you are looking for? I like the Pioneer stereos a lot, a lot of bang-per-buck, so to speak...

Find your local decent audio shop, and get some demos of all the ones they have / you can find, then buy one cheaper online! :D

Oh, and to answer your actual question, is this what you are looking for?  I like the Pioneer stereos a lot, a lot of bang-per-buck, so to speak...

Find your local decent audio shop, and get some demos of all the ones they have / you can find, then buy one cheaper online!  :D

Whoa! Bit steep that is. But thats what i was on about. Have just bought the next best thing anyway...

JVC KDV5101 Head Unit - plays 5gig of Mp3s off a DVD-R woo!!! Being delivered tomorrow.

Anyone interested in buying my old 2din Sony WX-C570R MD/CD Controller Head Unit - has 35x4 W/channel, radio, cassette and CD. Standard Toyota fair, but still a nice unit.

JVC KDV5101 Head Unit - plays 5gig of Mp3s off a DVD-R woo!!! Being delivered tomorrow.

Got any links for the JVC Unit your getting ? I'm curious to see what it's like.

ummm, me too... I'd be interested to hear about what you think of it as well, positives and negatives! The thought of a hundred odd albums (and some of them are VERY odd! :eek:)on one disk is kind of appealing!

ummm, me too...  I'd be interested to hear about what you think of it as well, positives and negatives!  The thought of a hundred odd albums (and some of them are VERY odd! :eek:)on one disk is kind of appealing!

Bit of advice guys...don't buy it from where I bought it from...

Got mine from www.caraudiodirect.co.uk £269.99

Then after it had been shipped, I found it at www.pixmania.co.uk for £183 (gutted)

Anyway, I've got it now and looking forward to having a play about with it. The exact model is...

JVC KD-DV5101 - Just do a search on these sites you should find it no problem. Reckon I'm gonna have some fun trying to fit this tonight!!!

Just had a look on caraudiodirect on that, and in the "other customer bought" bit, it lists a Toyota Facia... Is that yours as well? Is it an AutoLeads one?

If so, its a brilliant colour match, but its a bit of a swine to actually put in! You will have to drill extra holes in to the stereo mounting brackets to attach the stereo to (well I did anyway!). Gimme a yell if thats the case, and I'll try and tell you how I did it...

Oh, and impressive looking unit! Definately give us a review of it after a few days, as I am interested......

Rather impressive looking,

Have to admit I bought my stereo on pixmania as well, they are cheap as chips!

Took a wee look at caraudiodirect to see if they do a price match thing, but they don't, which is a bit of a shame :crybaby:

I'm sure £270 isn't a bad price for it though, Halfords would probably try and charge double that.

• 2 months later...

Big_Sid, thanks for the link :thumbsup: I found the wiring adapter I have been looking for having already bought 2 different ones from Halfords that didnt work.

There is a cheap way of doing it like i have ive kept the original head unit and converted a audio lead with a stereo headphone jack on the other end.

Plugged the audio lead into the back of the head unit and got the wire running into the centre console storage box with my ipod in there hidden away works a treat and got 20gig of music to listen to.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, you've done RCA in to the back of your Head Unit (I think!?!). The cables people are selling for £60 generally also give you control over your IPod from your Stereo as well. A little bit more handy than fiddling with your IPod whilst driving...

your right m8ty but i dont fiddle with the ipod i let her indoors do that you know what i mean listen to 20 seconds of every song then a 10 minute journey youve just about got every intro of every song from a 20gig song base lol.

nah truthfully i turn the ipod on before i start my journey it starts from where i left it so i get fresh tunes every day no need to mess about while driving.

The good thing about ipod you dont have tunes you dont like on there i love the way it works and it was cheap to do cost me about £2 to do the cable and it works a treat.

i know ipods are quite dear but if you have one already why not do what i done and save a few hundred quid.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links