Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Opinions Needed!

TOYMOTA

Hi ya peeps, i need your opinions on me possibly buying a Celica:

Celica GTI (2.0l 16v) (pop up lights model)

H-Reg

52,000 miles

Red

With most of the history

Trade price: £1,995

I've had a look round it and it looks clean (although it is currently covered in bird poo). I haven't taken it for a test drive yet either.

How does that price sound considering all the above? Average, above average, or below average?

When I test drive it (hopefully this weekend) are there any things I need to listen for/look for?? Do they rust anywhere??

ruddy nora thats low milage!. How far does the history go? make sure it is genuine milage.

Also the price sounds a tad high. going rate for the gen5s at the mo is between £1300-£1800 as far as Im aware matey :thumbsup: . I cant check my book as my neighbour has borrowed it but can someone check for when the cam belt is due for rechange...its around the 60k mark,

Apart from that just see how it runs and if you like it barter him down!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Is that a high price even if it's at a garage, rather than private?

I haven't actually asked the bloke if that mileage is genuine yet. When i have a look at what history there is, I should be able to work out if it's been clocked.

I reckon it'll be 60k for the belt change. It was on my Rolla GTI, not that it would have mattered if it had broken (non-Interference engine).

Do you know what the 0-60 is, bhp, top speed??

Is that a high price even if it's at a garage, rather than private?

I haven't actually asked the bloke if that mileage is genuine yet. When i have a look at what history there is, I should be able to work out if it's been clocked.

I reckon it'll be 60k for the belt change. It was on my Rolla GTI, not that it would have mattered if it had broken (non-Interference engine).

Do you know what the 0-60 is, bhp, top speed??

price is a little high. Prolly cos of the mileage. If it`s genuine she should drive like new.

Think the BHp is around the 170 mark and the top end is 135 ish. 0-60 7.5 ish. :thumbsup:

If the body work is in top condition, and it drives well, and you can confirm the mileage is genuine, then the price isn't too bad for a garage. Should be able to knock 100 or 200 off if you bargain with them.

One place to look for corrosion is under the boot lip rubber. It can scratch through the paintwork and rust through the lip leaving a wet boot. Check for overspray etc, if it's had accident repair, then it's far more likely to bubble.

Have a feeling cambelt is at 48k mile interval (but it should be changed on age basis as well as mileage). If it's running on it's original belt it would be 15 years old!

158 BHP

0-60 in 8.4s

Top speed = 137 (according to Toyota's info) :!Removed!:

Have a feeling cambelt is at 48k mile interval (but it should be changed on age basis as well as mileage). If it's running on it's original belt it would be 15 years old!

158 BHP

0-60 in 8.4s

Top speed = 137 (according to Toyota's info)  :!Removed!:

If I get it then I'll get the cam belt sorted straight away, just to be on the safe side.

Are those figures right??

My Rolla GTI was 123bhp, 0-60 in 8.2s and top speed of ??, but I had 145 mph out of it with 1000 revs to go to the red line.

All cars are going to differ from manufacturers stated performance figures. But you have to remember the Celica is a bigger heavier car than your `rola was. But all things are relative and the Celica is a better car anyway. :P :lol:

145? Is that a calibrated speed reading? Most speedos tend to read on the high side. I've calibrated mine against a GPS, and even with bigger tyre diameters, it still reads on the high side.

If you get 137 from an ST182 celica I would be very surprised. Even downhill with the wind behind it! Best I have managed is about 125 leptons.

The celica must be quite a bit heavier than the corolla. I am sure it will feel quite lardy in comparison (both acceleration and cornering).

an st205 with 250 bhp has a top end of 155 mph . i think 143 mph is a bit outa the water for a rolla. ;)

Yeah. Even my lardy 185 can only do 28MPH............. Officer. :P

145? Is that a calibrated speed reading? Most speedos tend to read on the high side. I've calibrated mine against a GPS, and even with bigger tyre diameters, it still reads on the high side.

If you get 137 from an ST182 celica I would be very surprised. Even downhill with the wind behind it! Best I have managed is about 125 leptons.

The celica must be quite a bit heavier than the corolla. I am sure it will feel quite lardy in comparison (both acceleration and cornering).

It was purely what the speedo read. Goes up to 150mph on the speedo. I was running it on 195-50-15's instead of the standard 185-60-14's. I did take the reading with a pinch of salt though. It used to easily keep up with a friends Series 1 RS Turbo which he had a dino readout saying it was 195bhp. Realisticly mine would have probably been doing 130-135mph. P.s this was in Germany on the Autobahn so no law breaking was involved!

I'm expecting it to feel alot heavier than the Rolla did. But if I can get a bit more torque/bhp from some basic mods (Zorst, induction kit, chip etc) then they should easily compensate for the weight. :thumbsup:

Think your Speedo must of been telling you porkys, had two corolla’s both H reg, and with the revised 4AGE engine, faster than the pre-90's model and I only ever had about 130mph out of them, on an race day :rolleyes: the Celica is bigger and heaver, but its so much more refined.... with my Gen 6 it doesn’t seem as fast as my old corolla, but once you look down at the Speedo, you soon realise its lots faster, still miss hacking round the country lanes in my old Gti, as it was small and handled better. gonna sort out the Celica’s handling by dropping in 35mm on fensport springs...

also i just love the way other drivers under estimate toyota cars, bye bye nova, Mr RS, etc!..... :lol:

Specifications...

-------------------

2.0GT

--------

The pre-facelift gen 5 was produced between 10/1989 to 08/1991,

Engine...1998cc, 3S-GE Twincam,

158 BHP at 6600 rpm,

140 Ib/ft @4800rpm,

0-60...7.9sec,

137 mph......Auto 130mph,

Urban mpg 28.5 Manual, 29.4 Auto,

Fuel tank size 60 Litres,

Tyre size 205-60-14.

GT4

------

1998cc, 3S-GTE Engine,

201 BHP at 6000 rpm,

203 Ib/ft @ 3600 rpm,

0-60.....6.7sec,

143 mph,

Urban mpg 24.4.

Facelift gen 5 was made from 08/1991 to 09/1993,

most of the spec is the same as the early model, but was now fitted with a catalytic converter .

2.0GT

154bhp,

0-60......8.4 secs,

Tyre size 205/55/15.

GT4

------

0-60 7.7 secs.

Celica-Club link

The above was taken from the Celica-club website link above!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links