Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing The Head

BP_Birmingham

Can i take an 3S head of a Gen5 and put it straght onto a Gen4 without having to use the Manifolds off the Gen5 ? as i need to replace my Gen4 head.

the engine is a 3S-GE.

3S denotes block, GE is the head.

all 3SGE heads are interchangeable, the manifolds should fit.

whats wrong with the head? it non interference...

Can i take an 3S head of a Gen5 and put it straght onto a Gen4 without having to use the Manifolds off the Gen5 ? as i need to replace my Gen4 head.

It will probably fit on the gen 4 block. I am not sure if the manifolds will line up, but it is quite likely. However, there are other differences: the compression ratio might end up different (possible different combustion chamber shape), and I am quite sure the cams are different. Your ECU will have the wrong maps for this configuration and the engine could well be lacking in performance. At worst, you could end up with a lean mixture and detonation (and a scrap engine).

I bought my car with a overheating problem and the head has been cooked. i was going to strip the top end and get it checked and replace all the water hoses and i belive one or two are split. i took the plugs out which was lose to see water on the pistons,not sure if the head is warped or head gasket blown or water got though the plugs. If the head is dead i know of many Gen5 in the scrap yards with GE engines.

My knowledge of the Celica GT engine is weak,as i was a die hard Supra guy where knowledge was strong.

hmmm, to be honest mate it sounds to me as if the entire lump is toast. the block may be warped, i wouldnt put a head on til the block is checked - so you may aswell check the bearings too and do the piston rings. by the time you add the cost of new HG and belt plus all the fiddling about, you could just swap another working motor in.

TCB in cornwall do a tested replacement for about £250 with 3 month guarantee.

A gen 5 or 6 3SGE goes straight in, but it is necessary to get the looms and the ECU for a definite working motor.

I'm currently finishing an engine swap in my gen 4 convertible, after having stripped the entire engine down, the crank was toast.

you could take an engine out in a day, put the other in in another day and turn the key, allow a few days to get any niggly problems sorted.

the problem with scrap yards cars, unless they are tested working you have nil guarantee with engines and it could be a waste of time and money. buy tested.

APi engines also do JDM engines with less than 25k miles, guranteed for 12 months, certificated and completely rig tested and cleaned. a gen 6 engine is about £600 ish, but it doesnt come with ancillaries.

they may have 162 engines, then you just swap over the ancillaries and are guaranteed a solid motor for future eating of the miles in a classic celica.

my brother recently paid £250 to have his api paseo replacement engine swapped in, the price included fitting of ancillaries, oil, coolant, fluids, belt, plugs, filter and timing.

API engines sound good if i every need an engine.

I'll have a look at the engine sunday and see what damage has been done. then report back :)

You may get away with skimming the existing head and replacing it. The block is unlikely to have wapred as it is iron. If you do the work yourself it would be cheaper than an engine swap.

You may get away with skimming the existing head and replacing it. The block is unlikely to have wapred as it is iron. If you do the work yourself it would be cheaper than an engine swap.

i was driving it when it over heated and stopped straght away and got AA to take car home. theres brown water marks on the gearbox which look like the water hose had split.

im use to engine swops and rebuilds and do all the work myself as i use to have to with supra 4 to 5 time a year.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links