Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

One Step Closer To World Domination!

Demonic Angel

Now... I'm the sort of person who feels really blessed to be where she is work-wise right now! My job isnt brilliant really, but the company is great - its new and upcoming and the Directors are the nicest people I've ever worked for. They take time to listen to you and your ideas, of which I have plenty - and thankfully, they love my ideas!

A few months ago I was told they forsaw "great things" for me in the company. I'm just humble admin at the moment, which granted is a totally crud job, but it pays the bills! We dont have a proper IT department, thats basically my forte and I've taken on the unofficial IT duties, and its something I just completely relish in. I'm not the most qualified at all, and I admit that. But I know the systems at work more or less inside and out now - I'm even getting to grips with the network too! :P

Our company website is old and most of its never been updated, so I set about doing a proposal for what we can do to make it better and a timescale for updating it - the Directors were thrilled I'd taken it upon myself to do it (mostly in my free time too!) and I met with them yesterday to present my report (my 2nd IT based report in 3 months!)

They loved it! They say they love my ideas and attitude. So much so that the MD has strongly hinted to me that my unofficial duties might well be official very soon! :D :D Which pleases me tremendously as I dont like admin at all and desperately wanted the opportunity to get at something else!

All this week I've been told to stop everything I normally do and just constantly work on the website to get it ready for a big presentation the company is putting on in June, because the website will be a major thing - and its all down to me to do it!

Who'd have thunk..... one day you are just a mild mannered administrator, the next you are the IT department! :lol:

This is the first time I have worked for a company and felt truly wanted and respected - which for admin is a weird feeling! Ok, I have had a few problems there - anyone on Gold will know what I mean - but generally speaking its brilliant and I'm just so happy, I just felt the urge to share!

By the way, I'm planning for world domination by July 20th! :lol::lol: (lol just in time for JAE!)

:group-cuddles:

Good on ya!  Nice to feel appreciated isn't it!?!?!?!?

:thumbsup:

It sure is Anne! I've never felt appreciated in a job - EVER! Normally you just get mumbled at and ordered to do stuff. Its nice to be listened to! :)

It makes a refreshing change from the norm!

Now I'm all out - all guns blazing to impress them with what I can do! I'm very much a perfectionist too and I showed the MD the home page today and he said "Oooh thats brilliant" and I said "I dont like it - it could be better" :lol:

Nice one Em. Very pleased for you. :yes:

You know that World domination by July 20th bit?.... Well can I still have my six weeks holiday that starts on that day? :unsure:

Nice one Em. Very pleased for you. :yes:

You know that World domination by July 20th bit?.... Well can I still have my six weeks holiday that starts on that day?  :unsure:

Yeah - as Mistress of the World as long as you give me 4 weeks notice I'm happy for you to take holiday! :lol::lol:

(btw Goldies - this is also going to be a punch in the nose for you-know-who who thinks I'm some imbecile that, hey, actually, I do have a little of that grey matter in my skull!) :D :D

Congratulations... what more can i say.. glad to hear things are getting better for you at work now too.Good to see people getting on in life :thumbsup:

*hopes this crawling getsme into SoTOC's good books in time for JAE cos i'm hopeless at running* :lol:

Well done Emma, Nice one................now - what about this months TOC newsletter??? ;)

Something to do with Bruntingthorpe I believe? :rolleyes:

Newsletter has been published - its on its way! Promisey! :thumbsup:

Gosh you guys are pushy! :lol::lol::lol:

Can we see the web site when it's up and running?

Errrr maybe not - for 2 reasons really....

a. You will all probably laugh - even though my bosses think its good, more experienced folk might not, plus my tools are limited, but thats another story entirely

and

b. Then the whole forum will know where I work - possibly not the best idea! ;) That includes the weirdos and I dont mind people I know knowing, but not the weirdos!

Can we see the web site when it's up and running?

Errrr maybe not - for 2 reasons really....

a. You will all probably laugh - even though my bosses think its good, more experienced folk might not, plus my tools are limited, but thats another story entirely

and

b. Then the whole forum will know where I work - possibly not the best idea! ;) That includes the weirdos and I dont mind people I know knowing, but not the weirdos!

:thumbsup: only tell your closest friends.. too many weirdo's on the net.

Well done Em's...

When you get to the top, don't forget us little people that entertained you on your way... :P

Seeing as you're now a fellow IT bod, can you tell me how to integrate Cisco router with minimal disruption to our 3 sites...

:D :D :D

Well done Em's...

When you get to the top, don't forget us little people that entertained you on your way...  :P

Seeing as you're now a fellow IT bod, can you tell me how to integrate Cisco router with minimal disruption to our 3 sites...

:D  :D  :D

Yes of course....

you stick the blue one in, the green one out, in out, in out and shake them all about! :lol::lol:

Thats excellent, well done!!!! Its always nice to be rewarded for hard work & it sounds like you've done plenty of that

Too many weirdos!

So no, I wont be showing it off on a public forum!  :D

Post it in GOLD

theres no weirdos there!! :rolleyes:

Honest

CB :thumbsup:

excellent news Em - happy for you. :D

dont want to be negative at all - this is merely offer some advice from someone who has been in the industry for more than 15 years, and has a very impressive set of battle scars.

you have no proper IT department, and you seem to be moving from a non IT role to a predominately IT role - and a quite technical IT role at that.

everything may well be going OK now - but I would not sit back and hope that everything continues like that.

If this is made official - it is your JOB. you will have a contract and job description that says its your job to look after the IT.

When the exchange server dies, and no-one can get their business critical mail - it will be YOUR JOB to know whats wrong, and fix it. And fix it fast.

When some braindead luser brings in the latest virus in on their laptop, and forwards it to everyone in the company, and it forwards itself to everyone in their address book - it will be your job to fix, clean up all the infected machines. Hell - it may even be YOUR FAULT for not having things secure enough to stop it happening.

When someone deletes a really important file - have you got it backed up? Can you restore it for them for their really important meeting in 15 minutes?

And so forth.

Not having a go at you - I promise - but you may have fallen into something that is bigger than your realise. I would suggest that you quickly:

- assess exactly what they expect you to do

- work out what you can and cannot do already

- come up with a plan to get the missing skills as quickly as possible

I would also strongly one of your first tasks is to get another person on the team immediately.

One person IT team is hard work. And anyway - do you really want people ringing you on your mobile, @ 8am, when you are on holiday - because the print server is dead, and they cannot print their really important documents for their vitally important meeting @ 9am?

Hope it goes well for you - honestly I do - I have just worked at too many places, where there is one poor sod who agreed to do something a while back, and is now being ran ragged running the whole operation.

And dont get me started on the guys who created an address book database in access 3 years ago (using the wizard) - and where instantly promoted to "Database Wizard".

I then get brought in to migrate data from these "databases" (loosely applied term) - and I'm viewed as a trouble maker for highlighting how truly atrocious things are. Meanwhile - Mr "I can use the MS Wizards" is goldenballs and can do no wrong

Have you considered evening classes at college for formal qualifications, now the time to look into it as enrolment will not be to far off!

Good luck!

CB :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links