Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wierd Clutch Pedal Issues

serendipity_uk

I have a 2003 (52 plate) 1.3 GLS Yaris, although if I can't get this fixed not for much longer. It's had a wierd clutch pedal noise sporadically since the autumn. The garage has tried to fix it twice, first by lubricating it, which made no difference at all, and then by replacing a release bearing, which didn't make much difference either. It's a wierd creaky noise, accompanied by the travel in the pedal feeling a bit obstructed when the pedal goes both up and down. It's sporadic, but seems to be sometimes brought on when sitting in traffic when the pedal is used a lot, or when the car has been sitting in the sun. Sometimes it's just random. I've had a look whilst operating the pedal with my hand and there's nothing I can see that's obstructing it or causing the noise, although I tried taking out the mats to check. It's extremely disconcerting, and Mr T seems to have run out of ideas about what could be causing it or how they could fix it. Anyone else had this or have any ideas???

mine creaks? im not worried though! its something it just does when you let the clutch up slowly

Mine does it when pressed down as well as on release. If it was just the noise I'd learn to live with it, but the crunchy pedal feel is really disconcerting. It feels like I'm having to push the pedal past a series of plastic teeth or something. Oh well, back to Mr T I guess....

Thanks anyway guys :)

Good luck with that and don't give up keep pushing them to sort it out.

They will get there in the end.

if your not happy go to another Toyota dealer see if they can sort it out.

Oh, believe me, they will fix it. This time I'm dropping it off and I'm not taking it back till it's fixed. I don't care if they have to replace the entire clutch they will fix it. My parents are about to buy a new Yaris from the same dealers, so they have a little extra incentive - unless I'm happy my parents will take their business to another manufacturer. TBH I'm not recommending a Yaris anyway - this is not the first warranty issue it's had. Stupid thing wouldn't start a couple of months ago! (Dodgy O-ring apparently).

If I wanted a car that had dodgy noises coming from it and kept threatening to break I'd have bought a Fiat or a Citroen or something. Toyota quality my a**e.

If I wanted a car that had dodgy noises coming from it and kept threatening to break I'd have bought a Fiat or a Citroen or something. Toyota quality my a**e.

I'm feeling you got the worst car of a very good bunch indeed! There will always be a dodgey car or 2 and it seems you have got one! :(

Yeah Toyota are generally very reliable cars, but with most manufacturers you do tend to get a few bad apples..... I'm confident Toyota will find and fix it for you though....

I agree with Lenry - get a 2nd opinion from another dealer! :thumbsup:

Minor creaking in mine ... noticeably worse if its been left for the week oif I've been working away.

Well. Statisitical data doesn't lie. Toyota's are the most reliable brand of car you can buy on the planet. It's a fact not an opinion. You can only expect worse from another brand. Honda is the only one close, so if you're sour on Toyota I'd suggest you look at a Honda next.

That said I am really sorry to hear about your misfortune with your car and I hope they do take care of you and do a reasonable job of getting that sorted for you.

It's rare for any new car not to have at least a problem or two in the first year, BTW. I'm sure everyone has anecdotal evidence but that isn't relevant in the big picture. I had a Mexico built Volkswagen which should have been an unreliable heap, yet I had no trouble with it in the 4 years I owned it and never made a warranty claim. It doesn't change the fact that VW builds relatively unreliable cars though, and I know that and I won't go around recommending everyone buy a VW and tell them they are reliable simply because MINE was.

Have faith, I agree with Em. I think Toyota will make this right.

Yeah, I know you all obviously love Toyotas and statistically or whatever Toyota are good, but it just annoys me that I specifically bought a Yaris for reliability and it's now costing me a fortune in petrol and time driving it to the garage and back all the time - the nearest Toyota garage to me is a good 45 drive away. If it had been a cheap car I wouldn't have minded so much, but compared to a Fiesta or a 206 it isn't cheap. It's a shame because I adore everything else about it, I got a reasonable price on it and I have had good service from my dealers (even if they haven't fixed it) but the niggly issues have ruined my enjoyment of what was supposed to be the fun of owning my first car. Instead I'm paranoid about what might come up once the warranty expires and concerned that in driving it with the dodgy pedal I'm making things exponentially worse. I know nothing about cars or how they work mechanically speaking so every little problem is a big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Ah well, I'm going home from uni end of this week and will book it straight in to my dealers so we'll see what happens. As far as other brands go, if they can't fix it or anything else comes up I will probably be looking at a Honda Jazz or Ford Fiesta. Or maybe a Yaris without a clutch ;)

Honda Jazz is quite nice.

You're a fool if you buy a Ford though.

Ford and reliable are two things which do not go together. Take it from an American.

Cheers for the tip :) I'm very much hoping it won't come to that though.

• 3 weeks later...

Toyota returned my car to me today and told me there wasn't a problem. I got the tech into the car on my driveway when he delivered it and demonstated the noise. It turns out to be nothing to do with the pedal - it's coming from the master cylinder (he showed me what and where that was). Tech said some creaking is normal and it gets worse when it's hot because the fluid expands so there's more pressure to push against or something. Apparently when it was last in they replaced it so it's not actually faulty in their view. Anyway, I'm happy to believe it's not the massive problem I thought it was but could anyone give me any (very simple for a totally non mechanically minded girl) ideas for how to shut the noise up? Sorry to keep asking stupid questions :)

Oh, believe me, they will fix it. This time I'm dropping it off and I'm not taking it back till it's fixed. I don't care if they have to replace the entire clutch they will fix it. My parents are about to buy a new Yaris from the same dealers, so they have a little extra incentive - unless I'm happy my parents will take their business to another manufacturer. TBH I'm not recommending a Yaris anyway - this is not the first warranty issue it's had. Stupid thing wouldn't start a couple of months ago! (Dodgy O-ring apparently).

Hehe sounds like you've got one of the French made Yaris cars!

Well, I cant remember when they started production of the french stuff.

Anyway, I had a squeeky clutch when using it, even motionless - engine off.. press down and theres a squek, release... theres a squeek.. took it to my dealer and they sorted it with KY :) That being said, I've never heard a creak.... :0

Good luck on getting it sorted.

How many times do I have to say...

THERE IS NO PERCEPTIBLE QUALITY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FRENCH YARI AND JAPANESE YARI! :angry:

I've had identical spec models of both within a short time and there are parts differences but the build quaity is identical.

Does sound like yours isn't necessarily 100% right though... Have you tried a different dealer? That said, when the biggest fault you can find is a slightly squeaky clutch pedal :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

Alan

Mine did creak - until i took it to Mr T and played hell!!

They sprayed it with this viscous lubricant which comes out of the can like WD-40 but it drys like grease! Took him about 10 mins to get rid of the noise but it's never come back since!!!

Hehe sounds like you've got one of the French made Yaris cars!

How many times do I have to say...

THERE IS NO PERCEPTIBLE QUALITY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FRENCH YARI AND JAPANESE YARI! :angry:

I've had identical spec models of both within a short time and there are parts differences but the build quaity is identical.

Alan

I agree with Alan - just because its French doesnt necessarily mean its nasty and rubbish! My Yaris is French and I've never had a problem with it. Plenty of Japanese Yarii have problems - dont judge a book by its cover! :yes:

-Edit-

ahaahahah, Too easy.  :rolleyes:

And I never said I had a problem :P

:P :censored:

sorry, I've just heard it time and time again :rolleyes: You caught me crabbit and half asleep this morning...

A

I have found all the owners of cars in my house not to have any real problems with their cars and two are fords the other being a citroen! }(im going to be the toyota owner) The Citroen has been the most unreliable but nothing particularly annoying. As for the two fords they haven't had any problems at all! My dads focus has had many varieties of driving paterns but still is going fine and he has done loads of miles in last few years (instructing in banbury, warrick, Endstone and other places dotted about) I think it is unfair to tar car manufacturers due to their past problems (SKODA!)

Scionic your view of fords and cars assosciated to them are a bit different to over here tho! Saying that they don't get a very good view over here whilst still being popular!

A modern car that is looked after in this day and age is going to be pretty reliable!

• 4 weeks later...

For the sake of completeness/anyone else having this issue I thought I'd post the rest of the story. The noise got so loud I couldn't drown it out with the stereo, so I took it to Toyota for the 5th time and insisted on actually going with the mechanic to point out the fault. Mechanic got in it, declared the noise totally abnormal, looked at the master cylinder (apparently the one bit of the clutch they didn't replace last time) which apparently had a faulty rubber seal and has replaced the cylinder under warranty. I am finally driving a nice quiet car again, and am back in love with Harris. I dread to think how much I have spent on petrol to and from the garage and how much Toyota have spent replacing an entirely normal rest of the clutch. Moral of the story, insist on bugging your dealer until they actually fix the problem. And actually talking to a mechanic instead of the dizzy blonde girls that are in charge of meeting and greeting helps too :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links