Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Consumption For A Mr2

Longy

Hi,

I found your forum because im thinking of buying a 1987 MR2.

I live in the UK and recently got my insurance details through(years of not bothering to check)

Im paying alot for it ;)

I passed my bike test 12 years ago and kept the same policy so I can ride any car/bike.

BUT...

It's costing me £200. :censor:

I haven't been on a bike for 5 years...

I should, get a small, cheap, slugish 'nicey' car. :crybaby:

So I can justify the car.

But the petrol consumption I have to find out about.

If you chaps or chapess have any info on the cars fuel consumption, it would be helpfull in perchasing the beauty.

Or any good, bad or any things to look out for.

I hope you can help.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Andy

I should, get a small, cheap, slugish 'nicey' car. 

So I can justify the car. But the petrol consumption I have to find out about.

If you want a cheap slugish car you r not looking at the right Mk1 MR2 (AW11) not bike quick but quick enough and handle liek a dream..

Right foot heavy you'll get 20+ to the gallon, anything upto 28...

If you want more fun import a Mk1 Supercharger for under 4k and you'll be screaming with enjoyiment every time you go to the shops, a truely amazing car...

If your after aMk1 drop your budget and location on the forum I'll see what's around :) :)

I've got one in mind, cheers.

It's a red 1987 D reg, 97,000 miles on the clock.

This woman at work wants £750 for it.

I haven't seen it yet but I should tomorrow.

I think I could knock here down to £650.

It's been in the 'for sale' email group for a couple of weeks.

28 mpg average, eh....

I recon I could swing it with the missus, just won't tell her about the 20 urban :P

What do you drive?

Andy

ps Im not looking for a slow car, It would be sensible :help:

Mk1 MR2 (soon to converted to Solex twin 40 Carbs) purely for track and fun and rust) and my daily drive....

Mk2 NA pictured in sig...

Had MR2's since I can remember, wouldn't dream of swapping and love them to bits, you won't get an unbiased opinion out of me when it comes to the car, you'll see what I mean whe you push her....

Ever need a hand give us a shout...

£750 expect some rust, let us know where it is and we can see if it's an economical repair, it's not as bad as it sounds if you know the right people.....

I agree, after owning my mr2, i just cant imagine ever selling it. Nothing drives quite like it. Everything is soo right, driving position - awesome. Sound - great. performance is pretty good, sweet handling. And the steering response. Mmm, oh my. Its doing my nut nbot been able to drive my mr2 for a week - feels like forever. Stuck with a crappy renault at the moment. With any luck i will be happy again on saturday when ive finished fixing her. You wont be disapointed by buying a aw11 (apart from the sudden loss in money to keep it on road!

Cheers for that.

I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Your car in your sig looks smart.

I remember years ago when the MR2 first came out.

Looked luverly.

A bloke down the street had 1.

I said to my missus ‘Found a car……..only 2 seat tho’’

Hehe :D

I’ll tell you what I looks like tomorrow.

Cheers again

Andy

I love the Mk2, IMHO its the best shape.

Here comes the great MR2 debate, which is better the MK1 or the MK2.....

I've had both over the years and now currently own both and adore them both for their individual traits, they are both very different cars which makes it difficult to weigh them up against each other in my opinion.

The Mk1 may have the boxy classic lines of an 80's Sports Car although I feel it's styling will never date, it handles like an absolute gem and just ask's to be thrown into corners and loves the windy country roads. It is however more of a handful to driver and more of a drivers car that the Mk2. The Mk2 is much more of a tourer, still handles like a dream with the commonality of loving tight and twisty roads and loving it's owners to use that right foot at every oportunity. Take the roof off if you have the T-Bar or Spyder and you'll be laughing to yourself and thinking it criminal how much fun you can have driving for so little money. Both the MK1 and Mk2 are great Sportscars in their own right and have very individual styling, both cars have a large following and support base and once driven properly loved forever.

Which is better the Mk1 or the Mk2... I couldn't say there both so much the same but so different, they're both superb cars to drive.....

:eek: That went on a bit longer than expected !!!

Hello again,

I've had a gander at the out-side of the car.

Info as follows...

1986 D reg, mk1, 97,000 miles

Mot Jan '04, TAX Aug.

Cam belt, Master cyclinder, clutch changed in 2000.

Wheel arch's repaired in 2000.

It's got a thahams imob.

Got a few pictures of the rust mainly on the wheel arch's.

I've had to crop them down to 70kb.... :censor:

Hope they don't clutter up the thead :eek:

Driver%20rear%20close.JPGDriver%20rear%20side1.JPGDriver%20side1.JPG

Driver%20side1.JPGexhaust.JPGPass%20bumper.JPG

I'll get to check the engine out Tuesday. I'll keep you up-dated.

Any ideas would be helpfull

Cheers Andy

For an '87 she's looking good, althoughb has the rust been treated ort just painted over ?

Compare that to my '89 rustbucket....

mk1.jpg

Do you drive it alot then?

It does look a bit rusty?

I'll send you a larger picture of the car.

See what you think

I think I could knock her down a bit(in price.. :D )

Prob about 550-650 squid.

If I did get it i'd have to get the cams changed again and later sort out the arch's.

I also think that the sill's will need doing too.

Any idea on the price?

PM me your email address(If it's ok :thumbsup: ) for the picture.

Cheers

Andy

(oh and you got a thug)

rhaines,

U gonna do her up.. she's looking a little sad and upset for an F-Reg.. why is she so rusty? :blink::blink:

I got her from a friend who was going to scrap her, she's had a hard life of neglect....

Am talking to scot about doing the engine up with twin solex 40 carbs and get the engine runnning sweet as a nut, leave the outside looking rough as hell and then surprise people when the old rust bucket takes off

HAHA!!... you would have to watch out tho.. you might leave half the car still on the lights if it starts braking up when you go to warp!

U got pics of you Mk2?

oh just a few although she should look a little different in a few weeks :!Removed!:

combe1.jpg

shinybeast.JPG

s_after.jpg

s_night.jpg

They are a few of my favourite shots,, many, many more...

I'll be sorting out my photo collection as have loads from meets etc so they are thumbnailed etc and organised then will post the link....

Looking very, very nice. Rev 6 rears look well. What are your plans for the future?

rhaines gotta love that rust! hehehehe, and in white is always an unfortunate colour for showing it.

BUT,...

at least you got a mk1 as well as your 2. i always wanted a mk1 and may have to look at supercharged when i get sum cash (a long way away)!

where did u get your rev6 back lights from? how much? how easy to fit?

where did u get your rev6 back lights from? how much? how easy to fit?

rev6 can be bought over the net from Patrick at www.revision6.com, if your going to pay they're about £370 I think not sure as I didn't but long story and a lot of thanks to my brothers smashed up mr2.

How easy to fit.....

Piece of :censor: , instructions that come with them are very easy to follow, took about 30 mins to strip the old ones out, re-cable and fit the new ones....

Hardest part of fitting them is the painting....

not a clue, why do you want to replace the cams ????

Longy what's your budget for the car and area I'll see what I can do !

I got about £800 and I live in Dorset.

Not much I know.

The last time the cam shafts were changed on the car was 3 years ago.

I bought a XR2 in '92 and the cam hadn't been changed for 30,000 miles so I thought leave for 10,000 then change 'em.

The cam bust and cost me £350 for a new engine. :censor: :censor:

So I learnt to change them asap.

I think you must be talking about the cambelt! As you do not have to reguarly changes cams. The 4age is sposed to have a belt changed about every 60k i think. It isnt an easy job, so about £300 is prolly a good idea. The advantage with the 4age though, is that even if the belt does break, it will not damage the engine.. Unless... the engine has been modified, with a skimmed head, thinner hg, different pistons or a higher lift cam.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links