Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Remove And Replace Clutch

SPOCKFROMVULCAN

I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO REMOVE AND REPLACE A CLUTCH ON A 1988 CELICA 1.6 LEFT HAND DRIVE AS I THINK SHE IS SLIPPING. ANY HINTS ARE WELCOME. THIS IS NOT MY CAR, IT IS MY FATHER IN LAWS, HE ASKED IF I COULD DO THE JOB F OR HIM TO SAVE HIM PENNIES. EMAIL ME AT napi3r@yahoo.co.uk TA :help:

If you have never changed a clutch before are you sure you really really want to start with a Jap Import front wheel drive on a 1988. The age will cause you some problems, there are tools, do you have more than one trolly jack, axel stands, a place to work, ball joint separators, and a full set of spanners sokets etc?

I would read a manual on the job firstly from any front wheel drive and then ask here for the celica manual and have a look at that. Make sure you read a haynes UK manual on that job to get an idea of what's involved before telling hom ok.

If you have not done this before the best thing you coudl do is phone around the garages and get him the cheapest price from someone sitting on ther hands

I agree. doing a clutch is not an easy job.

However if you decide to do it make sure that you have the right kit first.

I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO REMOVE AND REPLACE A CLUTCH ON A 1988 CELICA 1.6 LEFT HAND DRIVE AS I THINK SHE IS SLIPPING. ANY HINTS ARE WELCOME. THIS IS NOT MY CAR, IT IS MY FATHER IN LAWS, HE ASKED IF I COULD DO THE JOB F OR HIM TO SAVE HIM PENNIES. EMAIL ME AT napi3r@yahoo.co.uk TA :help:

THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE, WOULD ANY FRONT WHEEL DRIVE TOYOTA MANUAL DO THE TRICK? :)

If you have never changed a clutch before are you sure you really really want to start with a Jap Import front wheel drive on a 1988. The age will cause you some problems, there are tools, do you have more than one trolly jack, axel stands, a place to work, ball joint separators, and a full set of spanners sokets etc?

I would read a manual on the job firstly from any front wheel drive and then ask here for the celica manual and have a look at that. Make sure you read a haynes UK manual on that job to get an idea of what's involved before telling hom ok.

If you have not done this before the best thing you coudl do is phone around the garages and get him the cheapest price from someone sitting on ther hands

CHEERS, WOULD ANY FRONT WHEEL DRIVE TOYOTA MANUAL DO? B)

please turn the caps off , or you will be stun gunned mr.spock :lol::thumbsup:

please turn the caps off , or you will be stun gunned mr.spock  :lol:  :thumbsup:

this doesn't seem to be very logical but it works, captain kirk :D :thumbsup:

Hi Spock, I used to have a red LHD 1.6 Celica a few years ago,imported from Belgium by a squaddy who took the engine apart over here then couldnt put it back together again in time to go back oversea! He scrapped the whole car cos he couldnt be bothered with it :eek:

I bought the car from a breakers yard and saved it!

I also did clutch and head gasket job on it. Easiest way is to lable all cables & pipes & take engine out and then do it.

Not hard job at all,if I can remember its a basic carb 8v engine found in corolla & carinas.Find the engine model no first,get the clutch kit first.

I think I told the motor factors it was for a diahatsu (as they used same toyota engine)

Methinks you are about to embark on a sharp learning curve. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Methinks you are about to embark on a sharp learning curve. Good luck.  :thumbsup:

we once did a clutch on a GT4 once without removing the engine,now that was a proper b :censor: of a job! Hands were sore for a week!

If its the same 1600 (shopping car engine) as the one in mine it'll be lot easier!

Hi Spock, I used to have a red LHD 1.6 Celica a few years ago,imported from Belgium by a squaddy who took the engine apart over here then couldnt put it back together again in time to go back oversea! He scrapped the whole car cos he couldnt be bothered with it :eek:

I bought the car from a breakers yard and saved it!

I also did clutch and head gasket job on it. Easiest way is to lable all cables & pipes & take engine out and then do it.

Not hard job at all,if I can remember its a basic carb 8v engine found in corolla & carinas.Find the engine model no first,get the clutch kit first.

I think I told the motor factors it was for a diahatsu (as they used same toyota engine)

cheers mate, that info will help me a great deal. :D :thumbsup:

:D Well if u'r determined, go for it :thumbsup:

Yes any front wheel drive uk manual will do. I was just refering u to a haynes manual cause there good, and will give you a spot on list of things to do. U will need to decide if u want to take the box out or as sugested take out the entire unit and change it then. With the whol eunit out it will be easier to align the units back up again. read both sections of your toyota manual and then plump for a job. A haynes manual will take you through the main list of tools for the job and the safety precations u should also take.

If you are machanically minded there is nothing that difficult about changing the clutch, there are some jobs that you may need an extra pair of hands for but rocket science it is not! Its more a matter of having the right tools or knowing enough to get by with the tools that u've got

Best of luck let us know how u get on.

Oh and Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just put my 1994 Celica back on the road after the water pump started protesting at requests for regular use. did I say Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeimage1.jpg

:D Well if u'r determined, go for it :thumbsup:

Yes any front wheel drive uk manual will do. I was just refering u to a haynes manual cause there good, and will give you a spot on list of things to do. U will need to decide if u want to take the box out or as sugested take out the entire unit and change it then. With the whol eunit out it will be easier to align the units back up again. read both sections of your toyota manual and then plump for a job. A haynes manual will take you through the main list of tools for the job and the safety precations u should also take.

If you are machanically minded there is nothing that difficult about changing the clutch, there are some jobs that you may need an extra pair of hands for but rocket science it is not! Its more a matter of having the right tools or knowing enough to get by with the tools that u've got

Best of luck let us know how u get on.

Oh and Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

I just put my 1994 Celica back on the road after the water pump started protesting at requests for regular use.  did I say Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeimage1.jpg

Thanks for the info mate, i will let you know how it goes. I would have been f :censor: if i wasn't told about this site by a mate.

Well done for putting your celica back on the road where it belongs :thumbsup::thumbsup: B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links