Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

F1 Gp Usa

JappyBeast

Missed the GP coz I was at a Fathers day meal.. come home and put on SKY Active on to find out who won and read...

Thought it was a late April Fools joke and then I watched the highlights on ITV,

OMG!

It went from lap 74 to the last lap in less than a min, what a joke.

I follow F1 and I feel embarassed to support such a sport.. a massive organisation like this and only 6 cars raced. I understand the whole situation but to the Americans it must have looked like a JOKE!

USA GP is prob now dead!

Primary School sports day looked more professional.

Not a good day.

Several of my friends were in attendance, actually, right near the SF line. I can just picture Drew flipping his middle fingers at the ferraris every time they went past.

Must have been such a dull race to watch,

Glad I didnt see the live show, wonder what the comentators were saying?.. think they went to the pub?

Could imagine the drivers going for an ice cream during the pit stop.. what a joke.

So let me get this straight - all but 6 cars used Michelin tyres, which were found to may be faulty on Friday.....??

And Michelin said that they could race if they put a chicane on the track but the F1 bosses refused?

I just dont get any of it - it was all a farce - I didnt bother watching it all, although I was going to because Trulli had pole (originally) and I have a thing for Jarno! It would have been excellent to see him come through 1st......

Looks like this is the end for Michelin at F1 :unsure:

Surely 6 cars, with the two Ferraris in the lead for all 73 laps isnt classed as a "race" :angry:

All teams except ferrari said yes to the chicane which is one of the main reasons it wasn't introduced. UNfortunately they were withing there rights to...

Michelin did the right thing to pull out IMHO, if they didn't the risk of a major of fatal accident was high...

All teams except ferrari said yes to the chicane which is one of the main reasons it wasn't introduced. UNfortunately they were withing there rights to...

Ahh right - I thought it was up to the FIA, didnt realise it was Ferrari who didnt want the chicane.....

So let me get this straight - all but 6 cars used Michelin tyres, which were found to may be faulty on Friday.....??

And Michelin said that they could race if they put a chicane on the track but the F1 bosses refused?

I just dont get any of it - it was all a farce - I didnt bother watching it all, although I was going to because Trulli had pole (originally) and I have a thing for Jarno! It would have been excellent to see him come through 1st......

Looks like this is the end for Michelin at F1  :unsure:

Surely 6 cars, with the two Ferraris in the lead for all 73 laps isnt classed as a "race"  :angry:

Okay, to sum up what actually happened.

During practice, 9 michelin tyres failed, 1 of which caused Ralf's crash on the Friday.

Overnight Michelin tested the tyres and found due to a combination of the high speed banking, and the new dimond cut surface, that the tyres would fail after about 10-15 laps. (Its worth mentioning, F1 do not get to test at Indy - but Bridgestone had data from their sister company Firestone from the Indy 500 2 weeks previous)

So, Michelin issued a press release saying the teams should not run race conditions with the current tyres, and offered up the following solutions:

The would overnight new tyres for the teams.

A chicane would slow the entry speeds to the banking, which would reslove the issue.

The first was rejected by the FIA, as it broke 5 rules.

The second was agreed to by 9 out of 10 teams (only ferrari would not agree), and all the Michelin teams offered either:

To allow all the Bridgestone runners to have the first 3 rows of the grid for the start.

Or run the race, without the Michelin teams actually scoring points.

Both were rejected, so they could not race.

Unfortunalty, as Jordan broke the agreement not to run, Sauber followed suit...

So, there ended up with a Ferrari procession, followed by a Jordan Procession, and the Saubers bringing up the rear...

Ahh right - I thought it was up to the FIA, didnt realise it was Ferrari who didnt want the chicane.....

It was up to the FIA...

9 of the 10 teams agreed not to go out unless it was put in -

This was done previously after Senna's death, in which the teams refused to race on certain circuits unless chicanes were added to make the track safer - and then all teams agreeing forced the FIA to do so...

Demonic Angel Posted Today, 07:23 AM

Looks like this is the end for Michelin at F1 

Thats what I was thinking!

Don't reckon much to Michelin tyres anyway (used to be good but think they just sell on the 'name' these days).

On a side note the establishment I work for had a problem with 800 motorcycle Michelin tyres that we ordered, UK Michelin representatives had to come to our base and do some serious groveling :lol:

Also Michelin road car tyres offer nothing in the way of grip in my experiance!

It was a pathetic race to watch!

Only decent bit was when the ferraris nearly crashed into one another :D

Couldn't Michelin use the data from the last few years races at IMS? After all, it is not a new circuit.

Or, maybe Bridgestone tyres should/could have been used on ALL teams for this race only?

Would a chicane have done any good? Or have been safer (for, example, if two cars were challenging one another and one went off into the wall?).

Jason

Or, maybe Bridgestone tyres should/could have been used on ALL teams for this race only?

same reasons that Michelin couldn't ahve flown ni new tyres for the michelin runners... can't swap tyres..

I think all F1 cars should run on street spec Nankangs.. It might spice things upa bit :D

I (and this is a serious suggestion) believe that if they wanted to spice up the racing, the only rule they need to bring is...

Get rid of the semi-auto boxes they have at the moment, and make all teams run a 'H' shift gearbox and foot clutch (just like Formula 2/3/ford etc)...

Fidgits Posted Today, 10:45 AM

I (and this is a serious suggestion) believe that if they wanted to spice up the racing, the only rule they need to bring is...

Get rid of the semi-auto boxes they have at the moment, and make all teams run a 'H' shift gearbox and foot clutch (just like Formula 2/3/ford etc)...

:yes: Yes what a very, vey good point :yes:

Karma Supra Posted Today, 10:34 AM

I think all F1 cars should run on street spec Nankangs.. It might spice things upa bit  :D

Oooh, how about 'King pin' remoulds :lol:

Then again some teams are on michelins and surely thats bad enough :P

i got in just in time for the start and saw 6 cars sat on the grid and i thought WTF?!

it was a total farce and i think this will be the death of F1 in USA - yes changing the tyres broke some rules but they have a duty to all those fans who spent hundreds of dollars and came hundreds of miles to see the race! <_<

It was a total joke! and i couldnt belive the Jordan driver celebrating on the podium at least scuhmacher and barrichello had the decency to blush and walk away!

I thought it was Jordan that didnt agree to the chicane? i know they were spouting some BS about 'we have a duty to race for the fans otherwise they'll be unhappy'! what a crock of S**t! all they saw was the chance to get some points out of it! <_<

this is why i very seldom watch F1 anymore as its a joke!

So am I right in thinking that the only reason Schumacher won the race was as a result of a rule that was most liklely brought in by the FIA in order to make it harder for him to win a race?

I haven't watched Formula1 since Senna died, so I'm fairly ignorant of all the new rules, but whenever I hear new rules that are aimed at slowing cars down my immediate reaction is that they are just making the sport more dangerous.

Wouldn't the whole tyre thing have been solved if teams were allowed to make as many tyre changes as they liked. That way people on michelin's would obviously have the disadvantage due to the multiple pit stops they'd have to make.

No it was dangerous for them to let the teams on michelin tyres race, due to the tyres failing on a high speed corner, there had already been a blow out in qualifying and the investigation showed that as the cars went into the corner there was too much load on the rear tyres

wasnt it the last corner? and the tyres were just falling apart by the time they got to it? :unsure:

they have had a new more abrasive surface on the track since last time F1 was there and as said above Bridgestone had prior warning before the race - michelin did not so the tyres could not withstand the loads around that corner

So are you saying the tyres wouldn't even make 1 lap? that's bad!

thats why they were not allowed to race! :)

Michelin did the right thing imo - otherwise they were jeopardising the drivers safety

So why did the FIA bring in a rule that stopped Michelin flying over new tyres to fix problem. Surely someone must have realised that ultimately this is what would happen.

What would have happened if Bridgestone were in the same position as well? would they have still had a race with no cars?

So are you saying the tyres wouldn't even make 1 lap? that's bad!

Nah, they could make around 10-15 laps before the tyre failed it was thought! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links