Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1999 Avensis

cadbury

I've had an Avensis now for 3 years with no real problems, however, a couple of little things I have found are

1. When driving there is always a smell from the exhaust (sulphur dioxide) with the sun roof open this is dragged back into the car.

2. After driving for a while in fith at excess of 70 mph I get a cough and splutter, this goes away when I speed up a bit.

Any one have any idea's about this???

i believe that horrid egg sulphur smell is caused by the catalytic converter, the sulphur is a waste product of the process,.... :yes:

You shouldn't commonly get this. Due to the nature of the process they need lot's of good long runs and plenty of engine revving. They have never been suited to short journeys, or stop start driving. Take your car for a good drive and open it up a bit. :yes:

2. After driving for a while in fith at excess of 70 mph I get a cough and splutter, this goes away when I speed up a bit.

Any one have any idea's about this???

I get this, i think its due to the lean burn circuit.. its a good system but prone to the odd tantrum.

BUT i also have bad compression on one cylinder.. this could be due to crap on the valves and/or burnt valve, and ive been wondering if the spluttering is due to this. I cant see any reason why i should be getting valve problems on a relatively low mileage car so i can only assume its a design fault, perhaps the lean burn may be causing carbon build up.. this problem may also be affecting your car and causing the problem of spluttering.

Id advise getting a compression check just to make sure, theyre cheap to get done by a local garage. If you do decide to do this let me know the results.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links