Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Slippy Tyres

dawolf

I know previously I have said that Nankang's are decent tyres, must admit they are fine in the dry but in the wet it seems they are proving to be terrible. In the rain today I found myself having to drive as slow as 15mph on some roundabouts, they are dangerously slippy, especially now the tread is wearing. Gonna change the rears to something decent as soon as I can afford it. Hope I'm not putting too much blame on the tyres rather than the car's characteristics but I know people with the best brands say how much difference they make.

Stick some toyos on mate :thumbsup:

jerry!!

I know previously I have said that Nankang's are decent tyres, must admit they are fine in the dry but in the wet it seems they are proving to be terrible. In the rain today I found myself having to drive as slow as 15mph on some roundabouts, they are dangerously slippy, especially now the tread is wearing. Gonna change the rears to something decent as soon as I can afford it. Hope I'm not putting too much blame on the tyres rather than the car's characteristics but I know people with the best brands say how much difference they make.

Its the tyres mate, i've 235/40/17 nankangs on the back of mine and they are s**t!!

They came with the wheels and i'll be going to toyo's when they die :thumbsup:

i got Toyo's on the front and Potenza's on the back. Its like having a new car coz i can really throw it into the corners and roundabouts without sliding or anything! Love em! :thumbsup:

i went from 15s on avons to 16s with nankangs and noticed how bad they are even with the extra size and width, got toyos on now and can chuck it round with confidence

I darnt drive in the wet in mine, if im forced to im driving like a grandad.

I just have to bring mine to just about boost, and it spins the rears up like crazy, i have to pull off in 2nd if i can at most lights otherwise it just shoots left n right.

Scary shizzle.

I don't need to worry about boost as mine is an n/a, but i know what you mean!

Aye.. go for Toyo's.. either T1-s or T1-r.. as good a tyre as you will get :thumbsup:

Any discount i could give you would be swallowed up by petrol costs getting there :(..

Try mytyres or black circles.. or goldies can look in Mathews thread in the gold discount forum :)

Incorrect! Not all Nangkangs are crap!

The latest version of the NS-2 is extremely good. Grippy, and stable at high speed, and wear extremely well.

NS-1's are being phased out because the compound was terrible, but the NS-2 is totally different.

Give 'em a try. :thumbsup:

I have Toyos on the front and federals on the rears....

not driven it since the tyres have been fitted tho, so dunno how they are. Also since getting the gearbox swapped I no longer have LSD??!?!?.... so dunno how that's gonna be either!

(I will be getting the LSD from the old box put into the new one in the future tho)

Incorrect!  Not all Nangkangs are crap!

The latest version of the NS-2 is extremely good.  Grippy, and stable at high speed, and wear extremely well.

NS-1's are being phased out because the compound was terrible, but the NS-2 is totally different.

Give 'em a try.  :thumbsup:

agreed, the NS-2's are quite good! They came with my alloys (245/215). In the dry they have excellent grip, though in the wet theyre not quite as good. Lasts forever too :blink:

Goodyear Eagle F1's all the way for me. I've driven the car in some treacherous conditions and they are a fantastic tyre.

Joe

i ahd eagle f1's on the OE rev3 rims and i thought they were dire!

ill never trust nankangs after pranging my yaris twice (a fwd 105bhp car!)

toyos are the best ive seen for while :D

and i like the wet :ph34r:

We had Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s on 17s on our NA and they were fabulous in the wet or dry. Not too expensive either. 215/40/17 front and 235/40/17 on the rear, £275 all 4. The rears did 10k before changing and the fronts over 15k when we sold the car for a turbo.

Got F1s on the turbo and they are fine, wet or dry, again 215/40/17 and 235/40/17.

I have the Kumho 712's on my wee yaris (ok ok ok.. i know its not a sports car :lol:) but i have to agree, the grip is excellent in the dry AND the wet...

But... people HAVE to remember, whats good on 1 car, isn't necasassasarlyly going to be good on another (even 2 identicle cars)...

The feedback from costomers where i work is very favourable, no complaints about them at all.. and the latest Kumho is supposed to be even better... the Kumho KU31...

ku31.jpg

Out of interst.. this is the Kumho 712...

KumhoSupra712_lg.jpg

The advice i give to my costomers is.. if you are happy with the price and performance of the tyres you are currently useing.. stick to them :thumbsup:

Go with either Toyo T1S (or R) or Goodyear Eagle F1's all round - pointless mixing and matching. With the above tyres you can't really loose as they are both time proven. I wouldn't trust anything else.

A word of caution for the new Toyo T1R's:

It takes a serious amount of scrubbing in before they take decent grip. Two people I know (both with much track day experience) have both said it took over 300 miles for them to scrub in. During this time dry traction was not apparent (i.e no traction at all) let alone wet traction.

Yeah I find all the tyres I've had are like that though, they tend to be quite slippy for a good while until they bed in. Do new tyres have some kind of coating which causes this to happen?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links