Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1st Gear Problem

b1nda

Hi,

I have had my Yaris for 2 months now...everything is perfect apart from one thing.........

i find that when i am stationary for example at a set of traffic lights and i go to move off....i find it hard to put the car into first gear..i have to press and release the clutch a few times..is this normal for the yaris as i know there are a few problems with the gearbox?.... its the 1.3 litre engine...thinking of taking it to toyota and getting it checked under warrenty..

Generally if the car is stationary then selecting first gear shouldnt be any problems at all. Its when you're still moving and you try selecting 1st when it doesnt like it.

If it is happening when the car is stationary then take it back to Toyota to get it looked at.

:thumbsup:

no,..i dont put it into first when the car is moving....its mainly first gear when stationary also when im pulling away for example from an island...put it into first fine..then when i select 2nd gear its a bit sticky/stiff ... like it dont want to go into 2nd...hard to explain..ill book it in 2moro and see what they say

Going into 1st when stationary should be no problem at all... 2nd, 4th and reverse can be due to the gearbox design, but i have the simplest solution for you...

Press the clutch pedal all the way in... it needs a good shove... all will be fine! It really does need to be 100% engaged for gearbox to be smooth.

If it bugs you, ask MrT to alter the clutch pedal, if they say it can't be done... they're lying, it can be done. Or you can bend the pedal yourself!

Still, get it checked as the 1st gear thing shouldn't be an issue!

Sometimes mine goes a bit crunch crunch when trying to stick it in reverse because I havent depressed the clutch enough.... but 1st/2nd shouldnt be a problem....

Best to get it seen to me thinks! :thumbsup:

Into first while moving is a no no, and finding reverse is harder than sourcing rocking horse poo!

To get into reverse... pop into 2nd, then reverse, or lift clutch, then depress and into reverse.

Into 1st when moving is fine below 15mph so long as your foot is on the clutch properly and you're already engine braking.

Make the gearbox work for you... i don't know what the problems are people have with it... i think its brill... just the right amount of clunk and a nice short shift that slots in easy. It's not rubbery and 6ft wide... it's belting... quit whinging!

To get into reverse... pop into 2nd, then reverse, or lift clutch, then depress and into reverse.

Into 1st when moving is fine below 15mph so long as your foot is on the clutch properly and you're already engine braking.

Make the gearbox work for you... i don't know what the problems are people have with it... i think its brill... just the right amount of clunk and a nice short shift that slots in easy. It's not rubbery and 6ft wide... it's belting... quit whinging!

I too think the yaris gearbox is nice, i dont have ANY probs at all except the selecting reverse!

Its not THAT hard to press the clutch is it? :D

Whats a clutch?? ;) ;) :D :lol:

Having driven two Yarii of my own and five courtesy cars (yes, FIVE!) I can assure you that generalising about the gearbox is not a good idea! :yes:

Shouldn't be a problem on your car though so back to Mr T, I say.

Had problem selecting 5th when mine was brand new but seemed to get "worn" in with time and very smooth now.

My TS has the same problem, 1st is a sod when I am stationary and reverse sometimes seems almost impossible. I will give the car a few more months otherwise its back to MrT ffo another visit.

Never had a problem with the forward gears.

It can "crunch" into reverse gear even with the clutch fully "depressed."

It tends to crunch though whilst the revs are still dying down from being in a forward gear, so I wait for the revs to die down to idle before selecting reverse.

As Al said - don't generalise a gearbox, or even an engine for that matter. Every engine is different, and some will undoubtedly be stronger than others.

If in any doubt, speak to a technician at Mr T. ;)

Whats a clutch?? ;) ;) :D :lol:

remind me to look at your car at JAE.. really interested to see how the mmt works

On my Yaris Blue I've never had a problem with forward gears, I only ever put her into first at under 10 mph even that I usually leave it until 5 mph or under! The T3 was more difficult to select first in tho.

Like Seveer said sometimes if you dont have the clutch fully depressed it wont change properly. This morning I think I released the clutch too soon and she really lurched forward as I changed. reverse crunches quite a bit if I dont go into neutral before selecting reverse. As long as you bring the clutch up and are in neutral for a few secs reverse goes in fine.

Blue

My Ts seems a bit harsh on occasions. 1st is sometimes a problem for me. I dont change into 1st when going above 5 mph. Sometimes cars are up my ***** and expect me to shift the car quickly so i dont like to stop. Nor do i like to move off in 2nd gear at 5 mph becasue its still a newish engine.

5th is sometimes a bit of a !Removed! and sometimes 2nd and 3rd are too. Maybe its when i'm feeling rough and not fully awake in the morning and dont change accurately enough.

Other times it feels as sweet as a nut.

Maybe its when i'm feeling rough and not fully awake in the morning and dont change accurately enough.

You know, I was thinking the same thing only the other day? My car seems to drive better later in the day than first thing when on the way to work. Yes, I think there's definitely something in that. Sometimes it's the car, sometimes it's the weather (changes in air temperature), sometimes it's the driver. :yes:

Hi,

my Yaris was booked in today so they could look at the gear problem under warrenty.......all they did was changed the Gearbox Oil...i asked the mecanic if this was a common prob with the yaris and he said "yes"...there are two ways of sorting it easist way is changing the gearbox oil to a different one and the other way it by changing the gearbox linkage...so will see if it sorted now....since i hav had it back the gearbox does feel ALOT smoother

Hi,

my Yaris was booked in today so they could look at the gear problem under warrenty.......all they did was changed the Gearbox Oil...i asked the mecanic if this was a common prob with the yaris and he said "yes"...there are two ways of sorting it easist way is changing the gearbox oil to a different one and the other way it by changing the gearbox linkage...so will see if it sorted now....since i hav had it back the gearbox does feel ALOT smoother

there is adjustment in the links, it as common prob,all that needed is to adjust the links and it will resole the prob its a very simple job to do, we have to adjust a lot of links due to this prob do dealers not read there bulletins :ffs:

It can "crunch" into reverse gear even with the clutch fully "depressed."

It tends to crunch though whilst the revs are still dying down from being in a forward gear, so I wait for the revs to die down to idle before selecting reverse.

In every car with a manual gearbox you should never ever put a car into reverse until it is stationary. Meaning.... the revs should be at idle and it shouldn't be moving!

Also, i think there's some form of blocker to prevent reverse being accidently selected on the Yaris, which is why the clutch needs to come up first, or put into 2nd.

Also, i think there's some form of blocker to prevent reverse being accidently selected on the Yaris, which is why the clutch needs to come up first, or put into 2nd.

Yeah the snycromesh, saves you putting it into reverse at high speeds! :thumbsup:

Maybe its when i'm feeling rough and not fully awake in the morning and dont change accurately enough.

You know, I was thinking the same thing only the other day? My car seems to drive better later in the day than first thing when on the way to work. Yes, I think there's definitely something in that. Sometimes it's the car, sometimes it's the weather (changes in air temperature), sometimes it's the driver. :yes:

yeah i fint that the first journey is the worst. even if its just 4 miles up the road, after that its better. Driving better later in the day is something i've noticed :thumbsup: .

The temperature of the car fluids affect it.

Actually thinking back to when I had the T3 that always used to go straight into reverse without any "blockage" or hesitation, maybe the syncromesh was screwed! :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links