Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Someone Stole My Car Keys!

DazzaP

Well, a few weeks ago someone stole my keys (totally pi**ed off, as it had two different house keys, the car keys, a swiss army knife and a cool torch on it!) from a house party we had. I have been told that because its an S model (just a key, no remote central locking or anything) i can get another cut down at the local car shop, is this true? Do i have to get a new one from Mr T?

Cheers for the help guys. :yes:

Em... if i had the keys for mine stolen i would be replacing all the locks and / or get an alarm, 2 guard dogs, and 2 sentry guns, and a bag of crisps. Ooh crisps. Mmmm.... Oh yes back on point, id change the locks and get new keys from MrT.

How much would that cost though? Aint exactly got burning pockets at the minute if you catch my drift, and im sure changing the house and car keys isnt exactly cheap! :(

House shouldn't be too bad - a locksmith can just change the postion of the levers in the lock and cut you a new key to match. You're probably covered for that on the house insurance.

I had a key for my Boxster nicked 18 months ago; discovered that Porsche could program the car so that that key could no longer deactivate the alarm or imobiliser; it would have still opened the doors though. I don't know whether Toyota can do the same, but I would imagine that they probably can.

Fortunately, before I got round to getting this done the police tracked down the little git who stole it. Took them 3 days to find him and recover the key which I thought was pretty impressive given that he lived on an estate the other side of Nottingham.

Oh, I tried to see if Insurance company would have paid for new locks on the Boxster, but neither the insurance company for the house nor the car were going to go for that. Surprised the latter weren't interested - didn't even ask me what I was doing to make sure the car didn't go missing.

Oh, and regarding Alarm for motor - I'm told that a good one, e.g. Clifford or Toad should be about £250 fitted, though you can proabably get an adequate one for much less.

Tony

How much would that cost though? Aint exactly got burning pockets at the minute if you catch my drift, and im sure changing the house and car keys isnt exactly cheap!  :(

Not sure how much ut will cost but its worth it if you think about it. If someone stole the keys during the house party then 1. if they would steal the keys they or someone they know will steal the car. 2. stolen from a house party means that they know where the cars is and all they need to do is come round when ur asleep and steal the car or come round when ur not in with a van and a small crew and clean your house out. 3. they could sell the keys onto someone to steal the car/ clean out ur house. Just a thought but id have already changed the keys.

Cheers for the help guys! Anyone know if a new one can be cut, or how much changed locks would be?

We think we know who did this (two mobiles and those keys all gone missing on seperate occasions when hes been there (everything has been fine other times) so we may be in the midst of setting a trap. :yes::ph34r:

I'd also report the incident to the police (if you havent already) - people cant just steal keys from parties.

Especially if you think you know who it is, report it, dont go about setting traps for the guy - let the police sort it out! :thumbsup:

Thats another option i have thought about, but the weird thing is, we have known this guy for say 6 months, seemed the honest type. I have mates that have known him 8 odd years and he hasn't done anything like this before. The plus side to setting a trap would be he could be found innocent without any lost friendships, and if he is found guilty then i can kick the **** out of him. :censor:

A Key with a transponder will cost £90 + Vat from dealers. So im guessing a non transponder one will be a lot less. But if you're after them cheaper, theres always someone on eBay auctioning the Sr lock set, ecu and the two keys. Check it.

one bit of advice.............

bust a cap!

Now that's good advice...!

On a serious note... i believe the keys have to be cut at Toyota as the key has a transponder for the electronic engine immobiliser built into it... but there is a way of programming it yourself... it's on here somewhere... have a search.

In terms of your house, you're looking at about £40 per lock depending on the type of lock... 5-lever mortis locks are about £30 anyway... then there's labour. (A Yale is cheaper) But you can get the pincs re-aligned... usually about £25 per lock i'd guess. Make sure you get an accredited locksmith though... there are plenty of dodgy locksmiths around.

Also... just ring the damn police if you know they've been stolen... and if other stuff has definatley been stolen then ring the !Removed! police... it's what they're there for. Sod all this friends crap... if a friend of mine stole from me i'd have no problems getting him sorted. Stealing is stealing... it's against the law... get it reported.

i assume the s model has got the chip inside the key fob which is detected by the engine immoboliser? In relation to the porsche man maybe toyota can change the chip.

I;d make sure the car is secure some other way i.e park another car behind so it cant be driven off the drive, a steering wheel lock or something. Or have 5000 volts at the ready and any 1 who touches it gets a mild shock. Or flame throwers under the car... anyone seen wot i mean?

Sounds really unnerving to be in that situation.

The police will need evidence.

Leave him something to nick, and leave a camera to film it. Money or something valuable is the best thing, as otherwise he'll just get a caution. Make sure you press charges too.

Leave him something to nick, and leave a camera to film it. Money or something valuable is the best thing, as otherwise he'll just get a caution. Make sure you press charges too.

Isnt that entrapment though?

Isnt that entrapment though?

not entrapment exactly Em, how can it be proved that he laid a trap down for this punk?

defo agree about bustin a cap! but if that cant be done then always set up your own "the bill"-style sting on him, will leave you feeling like good old 007, and nobody gets hurt unless you really do decide to bust one.

a bit of friendly advice:dont have another wife-swap party, most of the car keys never get back to their rightful owner! :P :P :thumbsup: :P :P

Not only is it entrapment, but i didn't say tell the police who you suspect... that's not right either... just report the keys and other property as stolen. If it's anything like when a friend of mine had their keys nicked, the police come round and secure your house free of charge and they make a full investigation into it... kind of their job... they don't just catch speeders!

(Oh, my aunt's in the police and another friend of mines uncle is firearms officer who was on the front page of the sun 2 weeks back in Burley!)

Anyone who steals from you is not a friend...

If you report it you know your covered insurance wise, you know what they're like at slinking out of paynig up.

As for cost of replacement or new keys, forget the replacement it's just not worth the risk, I know money is an issue but it'll be cheaper to find the money for replacement locks than for a replacement car and bits inside the house !!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links