Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Abs?

A.T.G

i feel the abs on the pedal. it feels as if the rear doesnt use the abs though cos i skid the back end a wee bit sometimes on tight corners. i think thats just weight shift though when you brake. left foot braking comes handy  :thumbsup:

rear does have ABS. on the back of the hub at the bottom (between the bottom two bolts) the ABS sensor goes in.

oh and i dont care about the old "friend with a farm with a concrete track" s**t i dont want it on here. its been used too many time. and zebidi try not to drive like a w***** on the road, its not big its not clever + we dont want to hear about it on here............and if your driving like that, braking in corners + the weight shift making your back end come out, just shows thaat you cant drive for s*** :P

now thats the end of that, i dont want to hear any more about it. back onto ABS.

:yes:

I think some people do confuse ABS with traction control. ABS is purely and simply to help you stop quickly and effectively in a straight line. It may get get you out of trouble but is mainly to stop the car swerving or veering as the brakes lock up. This is a particulalry useful feature on roads in a poor condition with varying surfaces.

The 'oldies' in particular amongst us, together with driving enthusiasts, will know of 'cadence braking' where you brake then release, then brake again, in a 'pumping' action of the brake pedal. ABS effectively does this for you, releasing the brakes briefly to avoid the brakes locking up as the car would then skid.

A few safety points. Do not brake in a corner unless absolutely necessary to do so to prevent an accident. You should have already determined your speed before you enter the corner. Do not cadence brake as a matter of course and never when ABS is doing its bit as you may end up with very little braking at all!

Finally, you shouldn't really need to experience ABS that often anyway. It's there for when you or somebody else, gets it wrong.

I'm happy to say that I can count the number of times my ABS has kicked in on one hand and have fingers left (pesky pheasants!).

ABS does NOT help you stop quicker or in a shorter lenght of Asphalt.

ABS is soley there so you maintain control of the vehicle under braking.

If ya wheels lock you can't steer...ABS prevents the wheels locking so you can steer out of trouble under heavy braking.

Thinking ABS helps you sotp quicker is a myth... if you expext to lean on the brakes and not run into the car in front..then your mistaken..always remember you also have to steer out of trouble

ABS is quicker thna the human in detemining when the wheels are going to lose traction...so yes...most of the time in dry..and possibly wet you will sotp in a shorter distance...but that's not the point of it ..however snow and ice...you'd stop quicker without ABS.

If you have drums on the rear..then you don't have rear ABS.

Most cars with ABS these days also have EBD this applies different braking pressures to the corners with the most traction...comes into it's own when cornering.

Vipes

It dawned on me this morning - having read this thread - that my 2CV (as well as not having any interior) doesn't have ABS. It doesn't have airbags. It doesn't have side-impact bars and it doesn't have much in the way of crumple zones.

Certainly a series of thoughts to make you drive more carefully...

A

If ya wheels lock you can't steer...ABS prevents the wheels locking so you can steer out of trouble under heavy braking.

Thinking ABS helps you sotp quicker is a myth... if you expext to lean on the brakes and not run into the car in front..then your mistaken..always remember you also have to steer out of trouble

ABS is quicker thna the human in detemining when the wheels are going to lose traction...so yes...most of the time in dry..and possibly wet you will sotp in a shorter distance...but that's not the point of it ..however snow and ice...you'd stop quicker without ABS.

Most cars with ABS these days also have EBD  this applies different braking pressures to the corners with the most traction...comes into it's own when cornering.

Vipes

If you are referring to my post, where did I say it makes the car stop quicker? I said "quickly and more effectively" ie. in an emergency stop, the brakes will perform as intended. Naturally, the car's stopping distance still depends on the size of brakes, their composition, the mass of the vehicle and its speed.

Factors such as road and weather conditions also affect the above whether ABS is fitted or not.

Most cars with ABS these days also have EBD  this applies different braking pressures to the corners with the most traction...comes into it's own when cornering.

Vipes

If you are referring to my post, where did I say it makes the car stop quicker? I said "quickly and more effectively" ie. in an emergency stop, the brakes will perform as intended. Naturally, the car's stopping distance still depends on the size of brakes, their composition, the mass of the vehicle and its speed.

Factors such as road and weather conditions also affect the above whether ABS is fitted or not.

If I was referring to something I would have quoted it.

Also depends on tyre composition...area of surface contact with the road,

as well as which way you are travelling relative to the spin of the earth.

Vipes

If I was referring to something I would have quoted it.

Also depends on tyre composition...area of surface contact with the road,

as well as which way you are travelling relative to the spin of the earth.

pmsl.......spin of the earth :lol: !

Probably V true though

When i saw the title i thought you meant ya abdominals! I was just about to suggest you do 1 set of 30 crunches followed by 1 set with ya legs raised. Then 30 reps to work each side of ya obliques, finished with 30 leg raises. But you dont mean that sort so thats no good to ya! :) :thumbsup:

When i saw the title i thought you meant ya abdominals!  I was just about to suggest you do 1 set of 30 crunches followed by 1 set with ya legs raised.  Then 30 reps to work each side of ya obliques, finished with 30 leg raises.  But you dont mean that sort so thats no good to ya!  :)  :thumbsup:

Exercise.........whats that :blink: !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links