Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Has This Car Been Resprayed?

Fizz

Looking at this car as a possibility... now Mo aka Rev3 Turbo noticed that the engine bay is white and the car is actually silver...

Whats your thoughts..

DSC00066.jpg

This is what the chap selling it has to say... :bookworm:

"Hmmm have never even thought about the engine bay colour. Have always assumed that white was the primer colour and Toyota decided it was cheaper/easier to only spray the exterior visible parts. What do other silver celica owners have? I know it is not uncommon on facelift vehicles for a manufacturer to try and cut as many costs as possible, without an adverse effect on the customer.

Anyway I just checked the logbook, and there is no mention of a change in colour in the history/special notes section. The dealer I bought it from gave me a HPI cert when I bought it in June 2002, and it has always been serviced by Toyota who have never mentioned anything about the engine bay.

As for what looks like overspray near the bonnet catch, I believe that is just general dirt and grime, which tends to collect along the frt crossmember (top of crossmember always gets a wipe when I open the bonnet but not the frt surface), and shadow when I took the picture. "

I dunno, I didnt think engine bays were colour coded?

Is it a problem if its silver and not white? Sorry if its obvious and I'm not getting it!

The "overspray" does look more like dirt to me though...

Have you checked the colour that is stamped on the VIN plate?

Does the VIN plate look as if its been tampered with?

If the answer to the first question is yes and the the answer to question two is no, then it maybe normal for that colour of car/model.

Oh and another thing..... check the VIN number against the log book......

To be perfectly honest Fizz i`d be suspicious. I know mines greyish silver but the engine bay is the same colour, albeit without the metallic laquer. And the silver cars i`ve seen with bonnets up have silver engine bays. Have a look underneath the car. Any signs of overspray under there?

M I P`s looks silver. But it`s not too clear.

1998Gen63SGEEngine.jpg

Cheers for the info.. ofcourse the vin numbers need to add up etc.. but this dude is in Milton Keynes! and im in West Yorks!...

Is anyone in MK from TOC? That wouldnt mind checking it out for me? :blink:

If you ever see an automated body spraying process they never mask off specific panels so I would think in all honesty this has been a respray, not necessarily a bad thing as we can all get tired of a colour scheme. :thumbsup:

If you ever see an automated body spraying process they never mask off specific panels so I would think in all honesty this has been a respray, not necessarily a bad thing as we can all get tired of a colour scheme. :thumbsup:

Tis a bad thing if the owner did not even notice it till it was mentioned to him... :!Removed!:

I know for a fact that some manufactures don't put the final coat on parts that arn't visable.. this includes the inside of the door panels (remove the door card and check) also inludes some places in the boot and the engine bay.

After saying that.. both of my Toyota's appear to have the proper paint under the hood.

I would expect the front cross member to be silver (where the rad clamps bolt on).....

Any other colour and I would be thinking it's been in an accident at sometime...... but as for the whole engine bay to white..... thats mysterious....

Guest rev3turbo

added with different mask lines on wing rails too fizz,,

i'd walk away from that one myself, i know u want a nice unmolested example n as far as i can see this aint it buddy

I know for a fact that some manufactures don't put the final coat on parts that arn't visable.. this includes the inside of the door panels (remove the door card and check) also inludes some places in the boot and the engine bay.

After saying that.. both of my Toyota's appear to have the proper paint under the hood.

Ummm - this may sound stupid, but my sister's Yaris has a different colour engine bay from the rest of the car. Its Yaris Blue and she's had it from new - it came from the factory like that...

Maybe this on'e the same. Why don't you try and get the chap to send you a photo of under the carpet in the boot? It might be the same...

Dunno if that helps really, but sometimes it can be genuine.

A

I dont think there is anything funny going on, my silver st202 was a lot lighter underneath the bonnet.

I dont think Toyota do the same finish under the bonnet as on the outside.

My Silver car was definately a kinda white creamy colour in the engine bay :yes:

If you do a hpi/datacheck like with the AA for example it should show up any change of colour.

But i'd say im 90% sure all silver gen 6's are like this :thumbsup:

btw why are you looking at st202's?

I dont think there is anything funny going on, my silver st202 was a lot lighter underneath the bonnet.

I dont think Toyota do the same finish under the bonnet as on the outside.

My Silver car was definately a kinda white creamy colour in the engine bay  :yes:

If you do a hpi/datacheck like with the AA for example it should show up any change of colour.

But i'd say im 90% sure all silver gen 6's are like this  :thumbsup:

btw why are you looking at st202's?

Are you sure laddo? i know he said that he bought it from a dealer with FSH... and a hpi cert which he has..

I've asked him to pull away the carpet from the boot to take a pic for me.. and then i will take it from there... He has also provided me with a vin number.. so i need to find out where i can get that checked..

It seems i cant afford the Teg i want so goign to grab a run about till next year as its coming towards winter now anyway.

So the 202 will be cool.. wont depreciate too much as its old to begin with and good all round car.. :thumbsup:

Can you get anymore pics m8?..just cant tell from this pic Ive contacted a m8 who is a sprayer just sent him the pic and im waiting for his answer. Its just difficult to see as the bay may have been redone

i had to change the wings on my rally car. the bay is still red but the wings are black and looks like this car. check the bolts on the wings and rubbers see if theres any sign of them having been removed (spanner scuffs etc) rubbers may have ripped etc washers missing all signs to say they have been off

Can you get anymore pics m8?..just cant tell from this pic Ive contacted a m8 who is a sprayer just sent him the pic and im waiting for his answer. Its just difficult to see as the bay may have been redone

Cheers for the help matey...

DSC00070.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

• Dec’ 1995 (N Reg - facelift version) - UK Car ~89,000 miles

Toyota Rally - Cheers for the advice bud.. i know what ya chattin about with the signs of bodywork etc.. like i said though.. this is all the way down in Milton keynes... miles away from me..

All my silver Toyptas have had silver or grey engine bays!!!

If a Toyota ever has a gloss engine bay, its also been played with, as they are only meant to be mat!

Fizz, The bumper looks a slightly different silver in the second pic of your last post.

I know it's plastic but it should still match the bonnet and wing if done properly.

Fizz, The bumper looks a slightly different silver in the second pic of your last post. 

I know it's plastic but it should still match the bonnet and wing if done properly.

If its anything like the mk2 MR2's, the bumper is made of some kind of plastic so in some light angles always looks a different colour no matter how good the paint job. :yes:

can you not see any visible paint build up lines around rubber features ie- windscreen,doors,rear windscreen, my gt4 is matt silver under the hood.if that car has been sprayed it looks like a !Removed! good job has been done on it.i would get the vin details from the Badge and ask at a paint shop what color the code says.

can you not see any visible paint build up lines around rubber features ie- windscreen,doors,rear windscreen, my gt4 is matt silver under the hood.if that car has been sprayed it looks like a !Removed! good job has been done on it.i would get the vin details from the badge and ask at a paint shop what color the code says.

Look at the left side of the pic where the wing meets the engine bay and look at where the silver ends and the white starts... now look at the right hand side and see hwo the silver goes all the way in...

Is this normal on the ST202/205? Do you have a pic of your engine bay?>

On the skyline they had a black engine bay regardless of exterior colour i think some other jap cars follow suit so this might be one of these

both my wings are like the left one.go to www.st205.net - technical info - and go here Annotated ST205 Engine Bay you will see a red engine bay

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links