Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Of The Year

alanbradley

Which do you think should be European Car of the Year?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think should be European Car of the Year?

• Alfa 159 (156 successor)
    • BMW 3-Series
    • Citroen C1/Toyota Aygo/Pug 107
    • Mazda 5 (small people carrier thing...)
    • Renault Clio
    • Toyota Yaris
    • VW Passat

Yeah, as above really...

This is the final shortlist of seven cars for the ECOTY award culled from the initial 28 cars. The Seat Leon, Peugeot 1007 (the one with the sliding doors) and Suzuki Swift narrowly missed the shortlist but the rest (including vehicles as diverse as the Ssangyong Rodius and Merc S-Class).

So, what do you all think and which would you vote for?

:thumbsup:

Alan

Well the Yaris obviously for me personally....

I doubt it'll win though.... :unsure: Its relatively old now compared to the other models..... :unsure:

are you seriously expecting an unbiased response?

here's my prediction.

1 - Yaris will win. probably with a load of immature bickering about which phase is better

2 - lots of hate for the BMW.

3 - lots of arguing of relative pros / cons of different cars by people who have not driven either of the cars being argued about.

:D

this is gonna be biased! but im not picking in particular!

alfa - beautiful cars, but still fragile and crap tannys

BMW - hahaha

C1/Aygo/1007 - Aygo cool, but links to france uncool

Mazda 5 - its a mazda! but its an ugly people carrier

Clio - see 'BMW'

Yaris - My vote, its still a good car... well the phase 1 is :P

VW Passat - Poor mans BMW

here's my prediction.

1 - Yaris will win. probably with a load of immature bickering about which phase is better

3 - lots of arguing of relative pros / cons of different cars by people who have not driven either of the cars being argued about.

i should have answered faster :lol:

here's my prediction.

Matt,

I'd be surprised if there was much else - especially with point #1 - but you can never tell and there might be some interesting insights (boy an I an optimist).

Anyway, its better than reading about how/what turbo will fit on a Yaris <_<

A

Gonna hang my head in shame

I had to go for the passat

Drive one at work and it's a great car

Very well made and comfy as anything

Ok i'm going to go hide in my celica now :ph34r:

Alfa - think about it - this car is in the same class and mondeos and vectras but alfa have made this car look like well THAT! - imo its a gorgeous car - 2nd - Aygo - for its pure simplicity and genius - 3rd - Yaris cos it'd be rude not to :P

I honestly don't think anybody can give an honest opinion until they have driven all the cars for a while. I would imagine though that the award will probably go to the Renault in the end, but who knows

Aston Martin V8 Vantage is the car of the year!

ah - thanks for reminding me Ian.

I forgot

4 - vote for a car not in the short list (with bonus points for not having driven the vehicle in question)

:P

Well I have a yaris.....however I have voted for the aygo as it's a good little motor and looks good!

Plus it keeps the green brigade happy!

The yaris is a little old now ....... can't wait for the new one :thumbsup: !

Its the new one that's up for the award, not the current one :rolleyes:

Ian's right about the V8 Vantage and doubtless it would have made the shortlist were it not for the rules that state the contenders have to be available in at least 5 European markets now or within the next month and need to be capable of over 5000 sales per year.

I believe that the only supercar to have won the award was the Porsche 928. First ever was the Rover 2000 in 1964 and winners have included the NSU Ro-80, Citroen GS, Merc 450S (1974 model), Talbot/Simca Horizon, Renault 9, Audi 100 and the Nissan Micra (the first Japanese car in 1991).

More info for those of you interested at http://www.caroftheyear.org

A

A

Aston Martin V8 Vantage is the car of the year!

ah - thanks for reminding me Ian.

I forgot

4 - vote for a car not in the short list (with bonus points for not having driven the vehicle in question)

:P

you really should have seen that one coming... :rolleyes:

and hey - I know i havent driven one - have you any idea how difficult it would be to get behind the wheel of one - not to mention the 2 year waiting list...

and in all honesty, i wouldnt care what it drove like - if i could afford one, they'd have my deposit as we speak....

The thing is... car of the year is very much an all round thing... i.e. I can;t see anyone really getting excited over a fraud focubik, but it was once car of the year, and wuite deservedly too, as its a very good all rounder affordable car...

I usually is never anything smart and expensive as all the red would start banging on about it "not beign fair" etc etc.. so you can rule the S class out ?(although its an anstonishing bit of kit!!! much better then their last, boring atempt!)

Passats are very good and well built cars for the emotionally challennged.

The new three series seems very good, I'd not worry about the image as thats gone to Audi and saab drivers.. plus its the only RWD car and probably the best to drive out of the bunch, not to mention one of the best built.

Citroen, Maxda, Clio, are just bland run of the mill poorly assembled and ugly tat :D

(then again the renault 5 won in '82, I have the actual presented car of the year award :D)

The alfa looks goorgous, is probably lovely to drive, has a good image, but broke down during testing....

Which leave me with the Yaris.... Its already won twice hasn't it? Good little cars from the little experiance I have had of them (having said that Yaris driver in henley tend to be over 100 and like parking riding the clutch just under the redline) I'd say it has a more then fair chance... but I don;t know anything about the mk2!

For me its easily the BMW. But I look for different things in cars to most :D

and in all honesty, i wouldnt care what it drove like - if i could afford one, they'd have my deposit as we speak....

Well exactly. Where is the Murcielago Roadster on the list ... ok they probably aren't making 5000 this year.

If I had the money I wouldn't need to drive it first in order to know that I'd rather have that than the Clio/Passat etc. :D

Bit of a dark horse, but maybe the Alfa?

Paul.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links